Hellllllp! 353/346 throttle linkage stuck!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was cutting wood for a friend with my 353 that I put a new 346 top end on. The throttle felt funny, like I couldn't squeeze the trigger fully. I think I may have squeezed it harder, thinking it was hanging up on a fuel line or something, then the throttle got stuck on full throttle and I quickly turned the saw off. When I took the cover over, the throttle rod was pushed all the way forward and I could not get it to return. I ended cutting the rod with a Dremel, planning to replace it, but that did not seem to help matters. I can squeeze the throttle maybe 50%, and the operator presence lever appears to be stuck in the down position. I watched a you tube on prying the presence lever out with a couple small screw drivers. I was able to lift it up and get the tabs up above the handle, but I sure can't get that lever out. Then aI took a small punch and removed the pin that the trigger pivots on, but the trigger won't come out either. I thought about taking a chainsaw to cut open the handle, but I can't, cuz I got no throttle rod and everything seems stuck inside the handle! has this happened to you. I sure I could take it to a local shop, and 200$ later they might have it fixed, but I hate to do thatIMG_0605.jpeg

never mind, seems like someone here is practicing remote healing, cuz it just fixed itself! Squeezed the trigger and suddenly it was free again. I still have to order a new throttle rod to replace the one I dremelled out. Thanks, whoever it was that prayed for my 346

Take the handle apart and inspect everything. If I recall the throttle lever just slides into the handle through a little rubber grommet in the air box and hooks through the carb linkage. I've seen them pop out if you got too nasty yanking the saw around.

So why did it get stuck then? I assure you it didn't fix itself. Last thing you want is a throttle sticking wide open on a saw. I'd pull it apart and thoroughly looks at the parts. Better be safe then sorry. That and they are pretty easy to take apart.

So why did it get stuck then? I assure you it didn't fix itself. Last thing you want is a throttle sticking wide open on a saw. I'd pull it apart and thoroughly looks at the parts. Better be safe then sorry. That and they are pretty easy to take apart.
I had the exact same issue as the op when I installed my throttle rod grommet backwards. After some jimmying with a tuning screwdriver I got the rod free and the grommet loose enough to flip around.

No pretty sure something got cattywampus inside handle. The trigger and operator presence lever were both partly stuck even after I cut and removed the throttle rod. Then it magically freed itself when I wasn’t looking. New throttle rod on order. I’m gonna spray some wd40 in the handle too. Let us pray….

Hate to say it, you were right. Got stuck again, even though it appeared to have healed itself. this time it got stuck in such a way that I could not squeeze the trigger. Took out the trigger assembly ( might be easy for you smart guys!). Found a small grey piece of plastic that was the end of a throttle rod in there. No idea how it got in there, cuz I have no memory of losing that piece while I've owned this saw. Put it back together and now its all good

Latest posts

Back