Help! Carburetor adjustment screws in a bad place

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyShepherd2016

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello please help if you can. If I am in the wrong forum, I apologize, please direct me to the right place if needed.

I have a fully restored Sears
D-44 chainsaw i bought a few months back. It’s original Lauson Carburetor has been replaced with a carb from a McCulloch 10-10. I was stoked to know this but I unfortunately discovered a real obstacle. I finally got around to getting a closer look at it, and the carburetor adjustment screws are in a horrible place. They are flat head, and spring tensioned, and too close together to get a pair of needle nose pliers on, too stiff to turn with a finger, and the steel manual oiler tube is too close to the adjustment screws to get a screwdriver on.
Does anyone know of a precision tool that I could get ahold of to adjust these screws? I don’t even really have more than 1/8” clearance between the screws and the tube, and overhead, the throttle cable is an obstacle. And if I disconnected it, I still don't have much clearance at all. It’s a beautiful old saw, I love the saw, and I don’t want to get rid of it over this. I don’t want to run it if it’s not properly adjusted and I can’t find anything to turn the screws.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I have not cranked and run the saw yet, and I don’t plan on it until I can find a successful way to access these screws should adjustment be needed, which it’s pretty obvious it would need it, I live a mile above sea level in the desert, and the saw came from Kentucky if I remember correctly. Every saw that I’ve ever bought, new or used, needed adjustment at my altitude and environment.
Thank you good folks!

Attachments

• 828EFEAB-899F-41C5-9128-EA2E49158825.jpeg
    828EFEAB-899F-41C5-9128-EA2E49158825.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 92
Hello please help if you can. If I am in the wrong forum, I apologize, please direct me to the right place if needed.

I have a fully restored Sears
D-44 chainsaw i bought a few months back. It’s original Lauson Carburetor has been replaced with a carb from a McCulloch 10-10. I was stoked to know this but I unfortunately discovered a real obstacle. I finally got around to getting a closer look at it, and the carburetor adjustment screws are in a horrible place. They are flat head, and spring tensioned, and too close together to get a pair of needle nose pliers on, too stiff to turn with a finger, and the steel manual oiler tube is too close to the adjustment screws to get a screwdriver on.
Does anyone know of a precision tool that I could get ahold of to adjust these screws? I don’t even really have more than 1/8” clearance between the screws and the tube, and overhead, the throttle cable is an obstacle. And if I disconnected it, I still don't have much clearance at all. It’s a beautiful old saw, I love the saw, and I don’t want to get rid of it over this. I don’t want to run it if it’s not properly adjusted and I can’t find anything to turn the screws.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I have not cranked and run the saw yet, and I don’t plan on it until I can find a successful way to access these screws should adjustment be needed, which it’s pretty obvious it would need it, I live a mile above sea level in the desert, and the saw came from Kentucky if I remember correctly. Every saw that I’ve ever bought, new or used, needed adjustment at my altitude and environment.
Thank you good folks!
Again. I am not a chainsaw wizard. Cars are my thing , BUT!!! I have used sta- con butt splices (small red ones) 16-22 gauge I think? I crimped a wire in one side,pushed the free side over the hard as ****, to get to screws and dialed in that way Nothin beats a bit but a miss. Hope that helps you my friend. God bless

M

Back