Help choosing a chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Echo would be fine. You don't need a pro saw or a 70cc+ saw for what you describe. If you have a lot of land (or access to same) and have been cutting a lot of trees and finding the first saw lacking, then it's time to think about pro saws. Then you can use the first saw as a brush saw or backup.

Husky makes a good relatively inexpensive helmet with face shield and nice folding ear muffs.

Buy a couple files and learn to hand file. It's not difficult. A sharp chain makes cutting a pleasure. Hand filing is much more cost and time effective than taking your chains to the shop.

I'm surprised so many people would choose 60 and 70cc models to cut up those trees.

Good tips on safety, extra chain, and sharpening. My preference for sharpening is a dremel.

...... Husqvarna is closing out the Jonsered line. They are marking prices way back on the Jonsered saws (same as Husqvarna, just red instead of orange). ...

Are simular savings available on the 550xp twin?

I'm not sure. I have seen good deals on the 2258 & 2253. I think it's on the whole line of Jonsered. The way I understand it, the hard part is finding what distributors have left. My guy told me the most popular models went fast from his distributor.

I'm surprised so many people would choose 60 and 70cc models to cut up those trees.

Good tips on safety, extra chain, and sharpening. My preference for sharpening is a dremel.

Hand filing is the way to go, easier on the chain, much better results in the cut! The dremel is for grinding on cylinders.

Thanks again for all the help guys. I ended up deciding on the CS590. Before I headed to the store to pick one up I decided to check the Facebook marketplace and found someone in my town selling one brand new, never opened for $350. Like it was meant to be. So I picked it up today. Looking forward to using my new saw. Of course, I’ve got some safety equipment to pick up first, thanks for all the advice on that stuff too.

Even on a budget get more than one saw . Buy a 50 cc saw never run a 70 cc saw once you run a 70cc saw that 50 will be a dog . As far as getting a 60 cc saw I would never buy one . Been doing this for almost 40 years . Find a brand the parts are cheap and easy to find

Even on a budget get more than one saw . Buy a 50 cc saw never run a 70 cc saw once you run a 70cc saw that 50 will be a dog . As far as getting a 60 cc saw I would never buy one . Been doing this for almost 40 years . Find a brand the parts are cheap and easy to find
Never go wood cutting with just one saw, unless it’s in your yard. Saws are finicky, even when new, nothing worse than coming home without a load.:cool:

Thanks again for all the help guys. I ended up deciding on the CS590. Before I headed to the store to pick one up I decided to check the Facebook marketplace and found someone in my town selling one brand new, never opened for $350. Like it was meant to be. So I picked it up today. Looking forward to using my new saw. Of course, I’ve got some safety equipment to pick up first, thanks for all the advice on that stuff too.
:thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures: welcome to AS Josh. it will take a few tanks for that saw to wake up. there are a few threads here on muff mods and such for the 590. @James Miller . good luck and be careful.

20180302_135234.jpg I think you'l like the 590. I ran mine stock for about a year and never had a problem. It's been ported for about 2 years now and still no problems. I agree with the others that said hand fileing is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back