Help diagnose what a Saw needs from audio:

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With filter and cover on it started up first pull and ran great for 5-10 seconds then got a little bit sputtery (but never stalled). Think I should give the clock another quarter turn in to try and get rid of that sputter or as long as it doesn't stall, leave it be? Or maybe try using the Carb's L adjustment to get rid of it (not sure if this is an option, I think it's already as rich as it'll go)?

edit: There was another 1/4 turn left in the L adjustment, and turning it all the way in DID clean up the idle quite a bit. Not quite perfect, but I'd buy that without rebuilding the carb, this may be as good as it'll idle. Doesn't sound on edge of dying constantly at least.

And yeah, I'm not gonna give her full throttle again till I get the chain on. She sounded quite angry when I tried.
Let us know how it goes.

So I replaced the O-rings on the adjustments in the carb. They didn’t quite fit but they fit well enough. I might try to replace them with 3mmx2mm or 3x1.5mm… which seems to be the correct size or close enough. Right now I’ve got stacks of 3, 3mmx1mm.

It was still pouring gas so I opened it up and this is probably the culprit. The lever that works the pin was resting on top of the hinge bar not attached to it the way it looks like it’s supposed to be.

Still another week or more before I get the rebuild kit and can put it back together but my guess is that was what was causing it to suck up so much fuel.

Pictured here I still haven’t removed that hinge bar. And the lever was just floating but it looks like it’s got a little slot the hinge bar should’ve ran through. Is that correct?

Attachments

• EA7CF40A-09CC-4C40-8273-2A7275C180E3.jpeg
    EA7CF40A-09CC-4C40-8273-2A7275C180E3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
So the rebuild kit arrived early I got the carb cleaned and put back together got the chain on for the 16-in bar and it spins up and seems like it runs haven't cut anything yet. Idle still a little Poppy and rough but I figure I can tune that a little bit haven't even tried to tune the high yet.

So the missing Cork gasket is unfortunate... the existing ones not in great shape and I had to reuse it anyway. Also the little black gasket that goes under the metal piece in that part of the carb was in pretty rough shape and that had to be reused.

The seat for the PIN threading actually doesn't match after a couple turns it was pretty clear that I'd have to manually rethread everything and force it down in there so I just went back to the other seat and pin because they weren't in bad shape.

Honestly I don't think the carb really needed a rebuild I think it was done fairly recently they just put the hinge for the pin in the wrong position and that's why it was pouring gas.

No longer pouring gas and actually I'm having to run it fairly rich now to keep it from dying. About three turns counterclockwise from closed on the low.

The amount of gas coming out of the carb is significantly less, I barely noticed it now and it was dripping out at a rapid Pace before so there was pretty clearly something wrong and I'm guessing it was that pin hinge.

Going to go watch the Eagles game but probably as early as next weekend I'll have the high adjusted and see how well it cuts

Attachments

• 20221009_165107.jpg
    20221009_165107.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back