Help diagnosing MS500I

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you remove the air filter when doing that?
Sometimes I set them out in the sun with plug out, blow compressed air through the plug hole, wait til the next day. Whatever.

It's not unusual to get them hydro-locked where the tank pressure over powers the metering needle and they will blow gas two feet in the air out the plug hole. Need to pay attention and not set the thing on fire.

Had one this week that fired one time and bent the connecting rod. Hell, I've had them with the muffler full of fuel.

Probably more often than not they will blow out a cloud of smoke and start on the first pull after sitting from the time brought in.

You never choke one without looking at the plug first. I keep a box of spark plugs that have had time to dry.

Sometimes I set them out in the sun with plug out, blow compressed air through the plug hole, wait til the next day. Whatever.

It's not unusual to get them hydro-locked where the tank pressure over powers the metering needle and they will blow gas two feet in the air out the plug hole. Need to pay attention and not set the thing on fire.

Had one this week that fired one time and bent the connecting rod. Hell, I've had them with the muffler full of fuel.

Probably more often than not they will blow out a cloud of smoke and start on the first pull after sitting from the time brought in.

You never choke one without looking at the plug first. I keep a box of spark plugs that have had time to dry.
I take the air filter out blow some air in to dry and pull this works mostly always.

Hey Alexcagle, wondering where I find the screen. I bought used TS500i. Seller was able to start it normally. I couldn't, nor could my mechanic buddy. Took apart and flywheel and stator were worn so we replaced. Mechanic says this has a lot of use and abuse on it. The throttle trigger won't lock for cold start it is so worn. Replaced kill switch and got spark but still tough to start. Replaced plug and fuel filter. Pretty sure it is a fuel delivery issue as plug seems dry after lots of priming and many pulls. Not sure what the spring loaded primer is supposed to feel like but it doesn't have the feel of a normal primer bulb. Once it starts it screams and sounds perfect. Try to re-start after making a couple cuts and same problem. So if it runs good once started, can this be an injector issue causing the near impossible start? trying to start this is tougher than a gym workout. :rolleyes:
Note; The injector screen is located behind the inlet nipple of the injector.
Use a pair of ordinary pliers; twist the chrome barbed inlet nipple while pulling on it, it will come out. The inlet should be the left most one, looking from the rear of the saw, and the actual screen will be inside at the base inside the hole.
It's so small, you could probably fit five screens on the head of a pencil eraser head.
Use a pointed ice pick type instrument to gently fish the screen out for either cleaning, or simply discard it at this point.
There is also a screen located inside the injector fuel pump, though I've never seen one clogged up.
In high milage saws, the injector pump can develop wear holes in the mylar pump check valve flappers, but are rare to plug up.

Note; The injector screen is located behind the inlet nipple of the injector.
Use a pair of ordinary pliers; twist the chrome barbed inlet nipple while pulling on it, it will come out. The inlet should be the left most one, looking from the rear of the saw, and the actual screen will be inside at the base the hole.
It's so small, you could probably fit five screens on the head of a pencil eraser head.
Use a pointed ice pick type instrument to gently fish the screen out for either cleaning, or simply discard it at this point.
There is also a screen located inside the injector fuel pump, though I've never seen one clogged up.
In high milage saws, the injector pump can develop wear holes in the mylar pump check valve flappers, but are rare to plug up.
This fuel pump…it’s under the hose connection area in front of the primer bubble?

This fuel pump…it’s under the hose connection area in front of the primer bubble?
It is the purge primer pump block. Take it apart.
I'd say 9/10ths of problems do not show up on the MDG tester. Usually electrical problems show up, but a seal blown out, scored piston, bad gas, bad plug....these don't show up.

Latest posts

Back