Help identifying part Stihl MS180

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jejenkins

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Was disassembling my MS180 for cleaning and to replace oil line. In the process I removed the collar screw labeled #14 in diagram. It appears this is an adjustment screw so wanting to know it’s purpose and then the starting point if it is indeed an adjustment of something. Thank you for any help!
D7A22CC2-5063-4A62-B349-69904DEAF4D4.jpegD7A22CC2-5063-4A62-B349-69904DEAF4D4.jpeg

its been a while since Ive had a 180 apart.

To confirm, you have a tool less chain adjuster on the side, thus the single bar stud.

if you had a normal bar cover, and front adjuster, it would have 2 bar studs, and I think the back one, ie your no14 screws into the engine block to hold the chaissis to the block, and is there to help align the bar as well.

if im wrong, and it only screws into the plastic chassis, its ok, it still is there as you dont have 2 bar studs.

hope that makes sence, just torque it up to the required spec.

edited for adding pic
ms180toolesschainadj.jpg

Its used as a alignment for the tool less adjuster cover. I just went through this on a ms250 that switched back to the through cover adjuster. Make sure you clean the adjuster wheel really well and lube it..I hate that design!!

its been a while since Ive had a 180 apart.

To confirm, you have a tool less chain adjuster on the side, thus the single bar stud.

if you had a normal bar cover, and front adjuster, it would have 2 bar studs, and I think the back one, ie your no14 screws into the engine block to hold the chaissis to the block, and is there to help align the bar as well.

if im wrong, and it only screws into the plastic chassis, its ok, it still is there as you dont have 2 bar studs.

hope that makes sence, just torque it up to the required spec.

edited for adding pic
View attachment 954275
Thank you!!! Helps a ton. Just torque it and done. The way the tip was beveled it almost seemed to be like a needle in a carb or something.

Its used as a alignment for the tool less adjuster cover. I just went through this on a ms250 that switched back to the through cover adjuster. Make sure you clean the adjuster wheel really well and lube it..I hate that design!!
Thank you! I’m with you on the design. Got this saw after years of using .049 Farmboss until they quit making parts for it. Man, they don’t make ‘em like that anymore.

Back