Help in deciding between Stihl MS 462 and 500i Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StihlsawuserMS361

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to decide on either a 462 or 500i chainsaw. I've read here where this topic has been covered before here, but maybe a new post will add some fresh insight.

Reason for the purchase is that I have many large ash trees that the EAB is destroying, and I need something bigger than my MS 361 with a 20" bar.

So, thoughts please from anyone who cares to chime in would be greatly appreciated. Pro's and con's or both? With some tree diameters between 20 to about 30 inches, bar / chain length? (I'm thinking at least a 25", probably 28") Go with the light bar or standard steel version? Have they resolved the air cleaner issue with the 500i?

Thanks to all!

The ONLY reason you would go with a 462 over a 500i is becuase the 462 is cheaper.

500i will run both a 25 and a 28" bar better than a 462. The weight penalty is almost negligible. Starting is better IMO, power is better, the 500i feels more solid imo.

I have both. Had the 462 before I bought the 500i and I just sold my 462 to a buddy.

The 462 is a lovely saw and very capable of taking down any ash in my area, but I’ll almost always recommend the higher displacement. I haven’t used a 500i yet, but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a saw with so many glowing reviews.

Your MS361 and a 500i would be a badass 2 saw plan.

Definitely the light bar, either way.

Never used a 462, and have barely used my 500i, but I do have a 500i, and I don't have a 462. So that's my answer.

I haven't seen any air filter issues with the 500i. I did see people who don't understand that the air filter seals around the round intake throat, not at the square base on the bottom. If anyone has any better data on this, I'd appreciate seeing it.

I run both on the regular. For strictly a falling saw, I prefer the 500i. My personal 500i I run a 32" light bar on it, the 462R I use at work runs a 28" lightweight.

Pros for the 500i....mostly power. It's not an old-school torque saw, but it has noticeably better torque than the 462. It might not matter as much for a bucking saw, but it's a big deal for a falling saw running longer bars. It also spools up like nothing this side of a ported saw. It's really handy once it comes to limbing.

Weight. Really light weight for its size. Also a smooth saw.

Cons for the 500i....the filter still sucks. It clogs up easily, and that's when it starts sucking fines in from the seal area...It's no worse than any other non-air injected stihl(044/046/066.) I wouldn't say it's a defect, rather just a limitation of the design. I've got a Max-flow sitting on my bench that I'm going to put on it.

Some complain about the fuel usage, but it's no worse than some of my ported saws.

AV suspension sucks if you plan to run longer bars(32+.) I could live with it if I only planned to run 28 or less, but no bueno on the 32. I ended up putting the WCS suspension kit on it...IDK why Stihl doesn't offer stiffer AV at least on the wrap model.

Pros for the 462...lightweight. Although it's only about 1/2 pound lighter than the 500i(full fuel and oil) according to my scale. It's also a bit cheaper than the 500i. They have good chain speed, if you can keep the rpms up. The air filter is good on them...it's a air-injected style air system, like most other modern saws, so it "pre-filters" the air before it ever gets to the filter.

462 cons...not a torquey saw at all. You've got to finesse it to keep the revs up. It cuts quite quickly if you do, but stalls the chain out easily if I have to cut hardwoods. It's not so much an issue when bucking and you're able to go completely perpendicular to the grain. However, it's mildly annoying when making face cuts and other situations where you're not exactly perpendicular to the grain(if that makes sense.) The 500i is much more forgiving in this regard. I don't hate the power on the 462, but I don't love it either...I can live with it now that it's broken in. For the first several tanks, I was extremely disappointed with the 462.

The AV is kinda mushy on it as well, although not quite as bad as the 500i.

It's the same story with the 500i, but I hate the clutch covers on these saws. They get wood chips everywhere. Nothing like the old-school west-coast style Stihl covers.

It may sound like I hate the 462 and the 500i, but I actually like both of them...these are just negative things that jump out to me.

I run a 500i for the winter of ‘21 felling mostly large Ash, never had a problem with the air filter….there isn’t one. I was so impressed I bought a second one for the last winter.
I’d stay with the 25” bar and add a 32”. 28” would really be pointless.
The last pic is the 32” in a large Maple.

1CD626F0-B9D6-4BBC-A6EB-AE303EE9D75C.jpegBF8AB742-E7EE-4B2F-B222-82D55C287DDA.jpeg613FF346-E4C1-4C3E-B3B3-16AC6BBE6308.jpeg77F1E031-7A7F-4FD6-B634-154039E58BC3.jpeg1359360B-D368-420E-905C-2D487B1A1039.jpeg

I know this wasn't on your list, but I recently picked up a 400c to aid in dropping my dead ash. Seems the ones I have are a bit smaller and max out about 24" and not 30" so that does play a difference. So far I'm happy with the 400c. I did get both a 20" and 25" B&C for it, but seems the light bars are not available so I had to get the regular ES bar.
Either saw will do what you want.

The 500i is a great saw, once you learn how to use it. The Fuel Injection has some minor starting issues when warm. They are a minor problem, once you figure it out, but until then can be frustrating. The 462 cost a bit less, but after a couple of weeks or months, who remembers. Get the 500i, learn to use it, and love the power.

I need to decide on either a 462 or 500i chainsaw. I've read here where this topic has been covered before here, but maybe a new post will add some fresh insight.

Reason for the purchase is that I have many large ash trees that the EAB is destroying, and I need something bigger than my MS 361 with a 20" bar.

So, thoughts please from anyone who cares to chime in would be greatly appreciated. Pro's and con's or both? With some tree diameters between 20 to about 30 inches, bar / chain length? (I'm thinking at least a 25", probably 28") Go with the light bar or standard steel version? Have they resolved the air cleaner issue with the 500i?

Thanks to all!
I just ordered an MS462 from a fellow on Ebay, used. Got it for $850+ MN tax. I ordered after talking over my plan to dump my MS362 for similar reasons. This saw is coming with a 28" bar and I would be happier with a 20 or 25" bar / chain. SO, if you get the Stihl I might consider exchanging my big bar / chain for shorter one if that is what you end up buying. Good luck. By the way, I am fighting Oak Wilt here in Minnesota and cutting red Oaks right and left. . . ! I will let you know how I consider the 462 upgrade. . .

......after a couple of weeks or months, who remembers.

This point took more years for me to learn than it should have. It won't take long for me to not even remember what the cost of the better tool was, but if I buy the lesser tool, I will absolutely still be swearing about the lesser tool years later.

This point took more years for me to learn than it should have. It won't take long for me to not even remember what the cost of the better tool was, but if I buy the lesser tool, I will absolutely still be swearing about the lesser tool years later.

I try to always buy quality tools. They pay for themselves, immediately and in the long term. I still have and use tools I bought as a teenager. A very good quality Husky socket set I've had for nearly 20 years is still in excellent shape but the box is starting to go. I'm looking for a new hinge to replace the fast deteriorating original plastic hinge.

Not to mention the resale value of good tools/equipment!

Yeah, they can be resold. Crap gets thrown away. We have an annual flea market that draws in a lot of people from all over. I go there for the tools. Some of it looks like it was dug out of the ground.

A few years ago I was looking for a creeper. Guy had one, and told me he'd sell it to me for $125. I was able to keep from laughing, barely. It was used, still in okay shape. I decided to buy new. $44 brand new, exactly the same, shipping included. LOL!

I see it is now selling for $55. Signs of the times.....

1661957481053.png

Agree with many of the above comments, thanks to all who took the time to write. The more I rethink this , the more my head spins...
Leaning towards the 500i, even though it's about $250 more. I just think of I go with the 462, I'll always wonder "what if" with not buying the fuel injection.
Still on the bubble between bar lengths. In measuring the ash trees recently, the larger trees are between 20-30" in diameter. So , torn between 25 0r 28" bars.
Luckily I have a decent dealer, helpful, a little drive as local stores say they can't get them, back order etc...

Agree with many of the above comments, thanks to all who took the time to write. The more I rethink this , the more my head spins...
Leaning towards the 500i, even though it's about $250 more. I just think of I go with the 462, I'll always wonder "what if" with not buying the fuel injection.
Still on the bubble between bar lengths. In measuring the ash trees recently, the larger trees are between 20-30" in diameter. So , torn between 25 0r 28" bars.
Luckily I have a decent dealer, helpful, a little drive as local stores say they can't get them, back order etc...

I don't know about cutting Ash, but I run a 24" B&C on my ms400c and it works great. Nothing wrong with running a short bar on a 500i, but why. Get the 500i and at minimum the 28" B&C. 30" diameter trees is plenty plenty of reason to go with the 28, or even a 32. It is what the saw was meant to run, the longer bars.

And there is nothing wrong with having multiple bars. I run a 20", 24", 28", and the 32" with my 3 saws. When you pinch a bar BAD, you'll be happy to have another bar so you can cut the pinched bar out, after you remove the saw from the pinched bar. I once thought I might have to leave my bar in a tree overnight because I didn't have another bar with me.

Back