Help in deciding between Stihl MS 462 and 500i Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
500i
Another arborist I contract out to bought one early this year, and I have run it occasionally - it’s a really nice saw, good ergonomics, smooth, light and has good power

Not on your list but I agree with one other reply, for about the same money I would get an ms661 over a ms500i. Not too big to handle and can run 24-50" bars. I have 3 of them.

I am a Husky fan. I recently bought a 500i. 1st thing I did was put a 60 dollar Egan air filter in it as the factory AF is notorious for letting fines through. Other things to note. The AV system on the stock saw is a joke. I will be upgrading it next. Also noteworthy, you should probably pull the needle bearing cage from the clutch and grease it. I like the power it produces and in about 6 hrs I'm going to put it to the test with a 36" bar in a large cottonwood. I really dread running it with that 36" on it with the crappy av system but I gotta finish the job.
Also a husky fan and happy with what I have. Always make me wonder why buy a saw you have to change so many things to make it acceptable. If you buy a new car you dont expect to change suspension, air filter and anything else to make it run. Vibration white finger is a big thing, you may not notice now but wait until your older and suffering, by then it's too late. Never tried a 500i but would like to, out of intrest what is the husqvarna equivalent?

I'm an all wood heat in WI wood cutter. And help others cut a bit, 7-10 cord a year. Do some 30" trees a rare bigger one. Did a 361 044 comparo When I snagged the 044 at a garage sale and was VERY done wrastling 066's
A 40" plus grey elm survivor the test bed, 25" bar was enough.
The 044 won handily, better, grunty, power. Same weight, sold the 361.
That was 5 years ago, At 67 I don't work as hard/long as I used too.
After an initial going over, the 044 has cut strong with little work, and there's been a lot of EAB trees cut the last three years.
Two cents; don't buy a saw for those ONE or TWO big trees, buy for the 80% of your cutting sized trees.
The smaller saw can be pushed to get a couple trees down. But a big saw will be too much most of the time.
I have gradually gone with longer bars, left the 28" on the 044 after a huge willow project. Billy Ray sez less bending. ;^) But would be just as happy if I swap back to the 25".
With that 28" on the 044 I'm much more likely to switch to the 028 with a 20" for limbing and bucking the upper trunk.
These old saws are easy, 6 months in the shed, fire up and back to work every time.
That 028 WB sounds "a little loose" but keeps going and going.
I found and installed a chain brake on it, was nervous without one.
Read about the 400 and 500 Guess if the 044 dies before I quit sawing I'd be more likely to go with a 400.
But still watch for "dad died" older saws on CL ;^)

Also a husky fan and happy with what I have. Always make me wonder why buy a saw you have to change so many things to make it acceptable. If you buy a new car you dont expect to change suspension, air filter and anything else to make it run. Vibration white finger is a big thing, you may not notice now but wait until your older and suffering, by then it's too late. Never tried a 500i but would like to, out of intrest what is the husqvarna equivalent?
Husky doesn’t make an equivalent. Husky is junk. Also I’m the guy that modifies everything, Stock sucks.

Husky doesn’t make an equivalent. Husky is junk. Also I’m the guy that modifies everything, Stock sucks.

Husky sucks stock diz da junk. Yeah Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'z sees, Yo Mo, beat down da nig and get ma some cracker jam.

I'm watching The Wire and I about have the jive down. You can plop me down in Philly, d'Balt, the Big N, and I be hip and flip, yo nig...

It’s pretty clear that Husky is the mopar of the saw world. I wasn’t happy with the power or feel of the 372 when I picked up my 462. I know the bolts won’t fall out of the 462. My other saw Randy ported so I didn’t modify it.

Why do you say? What first hand experience do you have?

Interesting, you haven't posted a single mod you've done besides a bolt on muffler cover. Can you explain more?

May have some kinda grip material on Keys unfourtenatly may not actually own a 500i

It’s pretty clear that Husky is the mopar of the saw world.
Spewing more manure out of your mouth huh?
I wasn’t happy with the power or feel of the 372 when I picked up my 462. I know the bolts won’t fall out of the 462.
So you ran a 372 for 2 minutes? How do you know "bolts" fall out?
Also I’m the guy that modifies everything, Stock sucks.
My other saw Randy ported so I didn’t modify it.
I see, you make it sound like you personally mod everything.

BTW did you know your boys next door are heckling you?

Not sure if it’s a Holliday season thing or a local thing but there have been a couple 462s, a couple 500s, and a 661 on my dealer’s display shelf for 2-3 weeks now. The 661 is a full wrap which I didn’t want as it will be used on a mill at times so they ordered one for me on late Wednesday and I picked it up noonish Friday. I’ve got a 461 so the 462 and 500 were of no interest to me.

Not sure if they've fixed it, but I've no issues with fines coming in past the stock air filter in my MS500i even when the filter is filthy. Mine is a year old and has heated handles :heart:20230101_180300.jpg

I wouldn't call 372s junk...they were great saws in their time and are still good saws. I like the 462 better only because it's more modern... mostly just the lighter weight.

Until the 462 came along, I thought the Husky 70cc options were much more compelling than the Stihl offerings. I've got a couple 044s, and my 372 is a much better saw IMO. I'd also argue that the 441 was a downgrade from the 044/440.

Sell me your 200Ts then. So you dont have to look at the un ergonomic mess.
I don't mind it as much on the smaller saws(like the 241 and down), or the larger saws, but for limbing and falling I prefer the huskys and dolmars, climbing and bucking just hand me a saw with a sharp chain and full of fluids.
That only matters when you have female sized hands like the unskilled hammer donkey.
Pretty sure I've got more stihls than you have :laughing:. You should know this by now :yes:.

Back