Help in deciding between Stihl MS 462 and 500i Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't mind it as much on the smaller saws(like the 241 and down), or the larger saws, but for limbing and falling I prefer the huskys and dolmars, climbing and bucking just hand me a saw with a sharp chain and full of fluids.

Pretty sure I've got more stihls than you have :laughing:. You should know this by now :yes:.
You try a 500I?

You try a 500I?
I ran a ported one with a 20" bar and a square chain, it was kinda hard to make a judgment call on it's power. It still felt like a stihl in hand, and fairly light though.
At least they have put an angle on the top handlebar, I like that much better than the straight handlebars of the past, still prefer the handling of a husky/dolmar.

Too bad the stihls are so screwed up ergonomically :laughing:

I used to think the Huskies were the perfect west coast saws, as they always balanced nicely with long bars. Even when it was in its XT configuration, my 372 felt as light as my 044s, even though it was over 1lb heavier...now in lighter OE configuration, it's an easier saw to run. The handlebar is further forward on the chassis compared to the 044s, so it has better balance with a 28 or 32" bar.

However, my 400 and 500i(and the 462R I use at work) seem to have taken this approach. The wrap handles are now in the way of the bar nuts, just like Huskies...that part is annoying, but the saws do handle better in that configuration. If there is any balance issue with the Stihls nowadays, it's because they are so light. My ported 400 can run a 32" bar no problemo, but the powerhead is still only 60cc weight, so it feels a bit weird with longer bars. I run a 28" lightweight on it 99% of the time and the saw is a dream with that combo. That 400 is my go-to when I need a rear handle for climbing.

I used to think the Huskies were the perfect west coast saws, as they always balanced nicely with long bars. Even when it was in its XT configuration, my 372 felt as light as my 044s, even though it was over 1lb heavier...now in lighter OE configuration, it's an easier saw to run. The handlebar is further forward on the chassis compared to the 044s, so it has better balance with a 28 or 32" bar.

However, my 400 and 500i(and the 462R I use at work) seem to have taken this approach. The wrap handles are now in the way of the bar nuts, just like Huskies...that part is annoying, but the saws do handle better in that configuration. If there is any balance issue with the Stihls nowadays, it's because they are so light. My ported 400 can run a 32" bar no problemo, but the powerhead is still only 60cc weight, so it feels a bit weird with longer bars. I run a 28" lightweight on it 99% of the time and the saw is a dream with that combo. That 400 is my go-to when I need a rear handle for climbing.
I run the 24(84dl for the stihl guys lol) on the 462 with the short dogs, still dont like the ergonomics even thoughit balancesjust fine for me. Sometimes I run a 28 on them, and have ran the 32s on them, fine for bucking, but that's about all I want to do with them. Limbing hardwood is a bit different than softwoods, but I still like a husky limbing softwoods. I guess bad habits die hard :laugh: .

I wouldn't call 372s junk...they were great saws in their time and are still good saws. I like the 462 better only because it's more modern... mostly just the lighter weight.

Until the 462 came along, I thought the Husky 70cc options were much more compelling than the Stihl offerings. I've got a couple 044s, and my 372 is a much better saw IMO. I'd also argue that the 441 was a downgrade from the 044/440.
Interesting. I am/was a diehard Husky guy. Local dealer really soured me, along with 2 bad 550 experiences. I have had a few 372 and a 044 10 mil. I actually like the 044 better than 372. I now have a 400 and 462. They are both lovely saws, I'm sending the 462 out for a port, does not run a 28inch bar like I feel it should.
Not arguing by any means, I enjoy reading people's honest real world comparisons. I must say though I do think the 372 is more versatile. It is a hell of a saw, I like the 272 more.

My 400 balances perfect with a 24. 462 is front heavy with a 24. I'd love to run a ported 400, my stocky is amazing I love that saw. Can't wait to have the 462 ported. I find the 24 is about max on the 462, but feels like a little tuning would be a monster with a 28. I'm cutting almost 100% hard wood. Tried my 32 skip tooth on the 462 but it did not care for it too much.

I agree 441 was a down grade.

I wouldnt say the 372 is better than the 044. Its for sure different.

Done most all my cutting in the last 5ish years with the 372 before it was 44s and a 46 and few 66s.
The 372 is now paird with a 44ish saw my two favorites.
Neither is very stock both pull a 32 well and just flat out get done what i need done.
Theyre both very fun saws to run the pair cost about half what a 500i cost. Im sure they'll both spank the 500 in the wood.
I can see Sierra rider shaking his head laughing.20230118_210341.jpg

I agree 441 was a down grade.

I wouldnt say the 372 is better than the 044. Its for sure different.

Done most all my cutting in the last 5ish years with the 372 before it was 44s and a 46 and few 66s.
The 372 is now paird with a 44ish saw my two favorites.
Neither is very stock both pull a 32 well and just flat out get done what i need done.
Theyre both very fun saws to run the pair cost about half what a 500i cost. Im sure they'll both spank the 500 in the wood.
I can see Sierra rider shaking his head laughing.View attachment 1049760

Depends on the 500i lol.
IMG_20221118_182707691.jpg.20756b685bb97a1f084ff057f42986ac.jpg

I'm planning to buy 500i now, since it's only 200 more than 462 here in Europe. I don't get one thing though, the husky vs stihl thing. It's never ending. I have husky 120 and I have ms291, I love both. They are plastics but anyway. I bought 120 because 291 needs a new piston, I actually love the 120. Smallest there is and yet enough power for small ashes, pines and alder. I worked with 440, I really like the huksy style filter cover, really handy to get off and on. I love Stihl because I don't have to pump it. I have many Stihl bars, so I could use another Stihl...so you see where I'm going. They are both great saws, for me the problem is I really like 562XP, even more maybe than 500i. For me it's never ending, I think I'm bipolar.

I'm planning to buy 500i now, since it's only 200 more than 462 here in Europe. I don't get one thing though, the husky vs stihl thing. It's never ending. I have husky 120 and I have ms291, I love both. They are plastics but anyway. I bought 120 because 291 needs a new piston, I actually love the 120. Smallest there is and yet enough power for small ashes, pines and alder. I worked with 440, I really like the huksy style filter cover, really handy to get off and on. I love Stihl because I don't have to pump it. I have many Stihl bars, so I could use another Stihl...so you see where I'm going. They are both great saws, for me the problem is I really like 562XP, even more maybe than 500i. For me it's never ending, I think I'm bipolar.
From your writing, your self assessment may be accurate. 🤣 That said, I discount the Husky equipment mostly due to the weak local dealer base whereas I can get Stihl support (for me that means parts) a mile from my home. As such I have 8 pieces of Stihl equipment including 4 chainsaws and a pole saw. The 462 and 500 are both fine saws. My suspicions are, however, that if this is a "life time saw" that the 462 would likely survive with fewer and less expensive maintenance and repair issues. This as at it's heart it's got a regular carburetor that would be relatively inexpensive to replace if need be whereas the fuel injection system of the 500 is not inexpensive.

Latest posts

Back