Help me decide on a bigger saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thook

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Been looking and looking and reading and reading, and I'd like to get a Stihl. In that vein, lots of 370's and some 390's and a couple of 311's keep popping up on marketplace. But, some 290's come up, too. A 290 would be just the size I'm looking for, but the others I mention seem as good? Trying to keep to a budget of $200-$250 and that seems easy enough with the ads I'm seeing. Otoh, some Echoes and Huskies come up, too. Like the CS590. Some are in the $200 range, but is it a good saw? Might a little too big for my needs, though. I've got a few weeks before I can buy anything, anyway. So, I figure good time to hone in on desirability of the different models.
I just need something more modern and a bit stronger than my DCS520 for the less frequent large trees I cut. Otherwise, I have smaller saw needs covered with a MS251 and MS180. And, one of those I may eventually sell or trade for a top handle
Oh, and with one of these bigger saws, I'd like to be able use some of this 3/8 bar/chain gear I already have. I've got a new 18" and a 20" bar with several chains.
I'd appreciate dialogue/input. Not really interested in "pro grade" equipment, but I also wouldn't turn something down if it fell within my budget goal
Thank you kindly

Assuming the new bars and chains you have fit a Makita/ Dolmar 520, I think you will be looking for a small mount Husqvarna then. I might be wrong,but a 455 Rancher or some equivalent would compare with a 290 and also accept your b/c . Used ones are around $200-300 depending on condition.
I think I've only seen one 455 lately. Most everything else is 450 or smaller. Are those good saws? I've read complaints on the rancher saws, but don't know how valid they are. Also, can't a Stihl be converted to 3/8 if it's got enough power? I'm new territory on these saws. Only ever had this 520.

Well, there is a 455 about three hours from going for $100, but it needs a trigger. The other one, same seller, works as is for $200

You can convert to 3/8 but keep in mind there are different bar mounts for most every saw. In other words, without some modifying, a Stihl bar won't fit a Husky.I owned an older 55 Rancher and it was a tough saw. Also a 55, a 51, and a 50 . All good saws for their intended purpose.The Rancher is pretty much on the same level as the 029/290/291 . As for the 290/311/390 series of saws, the 390 weighs the same as the 290 with a lot more power,and if you can find one in your price range it would be much wiser to buy one instead of the 290.

You can convert to 3/8 but keep in mind there are different bar mounts for most every saw. In other words, without some modifying, a Stihl bar won't fit a Husky.I owned an older 55 Rancher and it was a tough saw. Also a 55, a 51, and a 50 . All good saws for their intended purpose.The Rancher is pretty much on the same level as the 029/290/291 . As for the 290/311/390 series of saws, the 390 weighs the same as the 290 with a lot more power,and if you can find one in your price range it would be much wiser to buy one instead of the 290.
There's been a couple of 390's, but the drive is quite far.
Also, I read rebuilding, if need be, on the 390 had some issues. Something about the carburetor? Heck...don't recall, at the moment.

I would plan on rebuilding the carb on most any used saw you buy, especially in these days of junk gas.
I go to a station owned and operated by an older gentleman and his wife for 30yrs. Good gas everytime/all the time. And, no ethanol in any grade. But, I do know what you're saying. Who knows where anyone else goes?
And, it wasn't about building the carb, actually. Something about the piston/cylinder and all that. Maybe I can find that bit, again. It was on a forum. Maybe here.....hahahaha
So, why the glum opinion of the 290? I like to know the shortcomings of anything I'd be looking at

The echo 590 is a great saw and a steal at $200 if it’s in good shape. However I love the stihl pro line up and we will spend your money quick here. You couldn’t give me a stihl 290.
Is it? I've been reluctant to consider them being such big box store saws. One seller has a stock pile of Echo 2 stroke equipment brand new from I don't know where. But, it's all in boxes and I compared it to these DeWalt, etc packages people are trying to offload for cheap. Makes me what kinda quality all this stuff really is. I just got some Ridgid 18v tools thinking I'd be stepping up on my game, but they really don't seem any better than the Ryobi I've had for the longest.

Assuming the new bars and chains you have fit a Makita/ Dolmar 520, I think you will be looking for a small mount Husqvarna then. I might be wrong,but a 455 Rancher or some equivalent would compare with a 290 and also accept your b/c . Used ones are around $200-300 depending on condition.
Right here were some complaints.....
https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/common-issues-with-a-455-rancher.262589/
Counter that, though, the YT review of one guy cutting 10 plus cords a year for five years without a hiccup.
Having said all that, the specs say it doesn't have anymore power than my DCS520 and it's heavier. I will still keep the option on the table, though. $100 for a trigger need replacing is hard to beat......long as it's a good saw, of course.

Latest posts

Back