Help me decide on a bigger saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you know what to look for $250 could be a good deal. It's just hard to come across those deals.
Yeah, and $150 is $150 if you can save it by buying a good saw for less than full retail. I bought my DCS520 brand new. But, many years later I had to find another second hand to replace my original piston and cylinder. The used 520 was in fantastic shape and lightly used. I was then able to rebuild my original with all the best parts of the two with parts left over. I don't think I even paid over $200 for the used saw, IIRC. The guy just had no need for it and rather had the money. Him not being greedy was also a plus for me.

I just read the 290 was kinda hard to work on. So, what do you like about the 590?
I wouldn't say they are harder to work on then any other saw pro grade or not, clamshells are just different.

The 290 can be a good saw they just need some help the biggest thing to start with is the muffler outlet on those things is about the size of a pencil eraser.

I wouldn't buy a $250 used CS590 when new they're slightly over $400. For $150 more I'll buy new.
I sold my 3 year old 590 for $300 with a new spare chain. I hear you though, caught mine on the old dealer days sale when I got it. Paid $320 for it new plus tax. It cost me one chain and probably 20-30 tanks of fuel and oil.

A 290 would be no improvement over your 520. It’s a heavy dog. I had one. If you don’t go at least 10 cc over what you have your wasting $$. If you are looking for a top handle, I saw a echo 355 T half way between KC and Columbia, Missouri, lightly used for $300, face book. Another 355 T in Wisconsin , never used for &300, Facebook. Get a number , talk to them, they might ship it. Use PayPal so you have some backup if it isn’t what they say it is. I had a guy ship me a saw across the state, it was as described, very good condition. Keep your eyes on face book, Craig’s list. There are deals to be had and junk you don’t want, mostly you don’t want. eBay is mostly a joke on used saws. No pics, no info, dirty, cracked parts,, keep moving. Once again, my 2 cents

I just need something more modern and a bit stronger than my DCS520

I'd like to be able use some of this 3/8 bar/chain gear I already have.

I agree with the guys who say, no less than 60cc. That means, no MS290.

The 60cc Echo seems like a fine saw for your needs. I think, I would rather have the Echo than a clamshell Husky or Stihl (eg, 460 rancher, MS311). But that preference is as much personal bias, as anything. Plenty of dudes are happy owning those saws.

The Husky 555 is a solid saw...but, I don't think you will find a cheap one.

Stihl 036 or MS360 would be great. Cheap 036s do come along...but, not often.

I would not let your current stock of bars/chains impact your decision. They can easily be sold off to fund whatever bars/chains you will need.

Roy

I wouldn't say they are harder to work on then any other saw pro grade or not, clamshells are just different.

The 290 can be a good saw they just need some help the biggest thing to start with is the muffler outlet on those things is about the size of a pencil eraser
There's a 290 up for sale (in KY, so way too far) that the seller made into a 390. I suppose that means some modifications were done. However, since I read a lot, my understanding is most if not any of these saws I'm looking could stand a muffler enhancement. Like my 180 and 251....lol. One guy on youtube said the same thing about'em being the size of a pencil. He'd opened his muffler port almost twice that. He'd also opened up what he called "the little fingers" on the intake. Not exactly sure what he means there, but I so see something that resembles that on the intake of the 180. Haven't opened the cover on the 251 to look, yet. I will, though.

Get yourself a good used Mcculloch pro mac 610 or 605. You should be able to get one in your price range. No speed demon but will get the job done.

The 60cc Echo is above his price point, but I think that's part of the issue. the 590 is also above his price point, unless he finds a clean used one The 620p is inspiringly-good. I ran a 290 and it was a slug, I really advise against the farm and ranch line...it's homeowner grade.

There's a 290 up for sale (in KY, so way too far) that the seller made into a 390. I suppose that means some modifications were done.
What it commonly means is the owner bought an aftermarket--generally made in China--390 top end and bolted it into the 290 case. Of course, some of these conversions are probably done with OEM parts...but, I bet, not many.

To the OP: as you think about money, I suspect once you get the 60cc saw, and then get all your other saws running, you will want to sell the MS251.

Roy

There's a 290 up for sale (in KY, so way too far) that the seller made into a 390. I suppose that means some modifications were done. However, since I read a lot, my understanding is most if not any of these saws I'm looking could stand a muffler enhancement. Like my 180 and 251....lol. One guy on youtube said the same thing about'em being the size of a pencil. He'd opened his muffler port almost twice that. He'd also opened up what he called "the little fingers" on the intake. Not exactly sure what he means there, but I so see something that resembles that on the intake of the 180. Haven't opened the cover on the 251 to look, yet. I will, though.

only difference in the ms290 vs the ms390 is the cylinder/piston size and carb high speed jet size. also the 390 muffler is opened up a little more.

when I got my ms290 the cylinder was trashed and I put a ms390 cylinder and pop up piston in it. I can't remember what all I did to that saw but I know the muffler was one of the most restricted I've seen and probably the reason the saw melted down in the first place.

The ECHO 590/620 are great saws for the money. That would be my choice for a less expensive saw. We use the 620pw in our operation great saw the 620pw echo!

Get yourself a good used Mcculloch pro mac 610 or 605. You should be able to get one in your price range. No speed demon but will get the job done.
I'm sure those are great saws, but again I'm also trying to go with something a bit more modern or updated. Otherwise, I do have the Makita though it has power limits

I would drop by a couple of local dealers and see if they have any trade ins. They can usually tell you the history of the saw. At least it will give you an idea of what’s out there. I'm of the opinion, buy once cry once, when it comes to stuff I really use. You forget the price after a few months of hard use. But you remember it the first time you have to have it worked on.

I'm a fairly new owner of a Echo 590, but I've used it enough to know it is a good saw. I was really hoping to be in the woods working by now, but this snow is crazy. I was able to run it good back in the fall and early winter.

I'm not sure if I would buy one used or not just because they can be had for such reasonable prices. Brand new they can be had for $350, there's one on ebay right now, free shipping. I bought mine in the fall for even cheaper. So they can be had brand new in that $300 to $350 range if you look. $200 would offer a decent savings, however, I'd definitely want to look at it good. You never know though, sometimes people buy saws, use them once, and let them sit in the shed for a few years.

I'm not a chainsaw snob. You give me something that works and cuts, I'm mostly happy. The Echo 590 is definitely one of the nicest saws I've owned. There's really only one issue with them, and that is the air filter. Some people downplay the issue, and they may be correct, but the air filter design they use is A grade trash. It will suck in wood dust, and I do not consider that acceptable. There is a super cheap fix, you just add an O-ring between the filter and the carb, as well as the stud. That should fix the problem. I ended up buying a foam filter kit myself. Besides that, they don't seem to have any flaws. Their carburetor setup is fantastic, and it's a simple job to pop the limiter caps off leaving you with a fully adjustable Walbro carb that doesn't need a special screwdriver. It has an adjustable oiler with no real issues. I don't know if there is anything better for $350 new.

Used saws are a whole other ballgame. There's nothing wrong with a lot of used Stihl or Huskys. Go old enough, and you can find some really nice McCulloch and Homelite too.

I would drop by a couple of local dealers and see if they have any trade ins. They can usually tell you the history of the saw. At least it will give you an idea of what’s out there. I'm of the opinion, buy once cry once, when it comes to stuff I really use. You forget the price after a few months of hard use. But you remember it the first time you have to have it worked on.
Last many times I've been to a local dealer, used saws were/are well out of my budget goal. That's why I keep looking on marketplace. Craigslist is kinda dead usually, but I should look there, too. I just can't or want to spend a bunch on a saw. I missed out on an MS271 that had been rebuilt for $200. That guy's gonna have some others in a couple/few weeks. And, he's only 40min's from me.

The 60cc Echo is above his price point, but I think that's part of the issue. the 590 is also above his price point, unless he finds a clean used one The 620p is inspiringly-good. I ran a 290 and it was a slug, I really advise against the farm and ranch line...it's homeowner grade.
I am considering the Echo as the prices for used/in great shape are pretty good. Otoh, I would rather have a Stihl or, second to that, a Husqvarna. I don't see anything wrong with a homeowner grade saw if it's a good saw. Plenty of non-pro's seem quite satisfied. My Makita I bought from Lowe's, though I'm told it's more pro grade. I can't really see why, but it has been a great saw.

Found an MS310 not too far away. There's the hint of trade or partial trade. Fingers crossed......

Edit: I guess he got offended when I asked if he was sure that was 25in bar on there. "Not available"

Latest posts

Back