Help me decide on a bigger saw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BTW, anyone here ever shipped a saw? What did it run you? Found another MS310 in "excellent" shape for $150. It's in Martin, TN, but my pop and my sister is in Memphis. Might be able to swing a deal

Been looking and looking and reading and reading, and I'd like to get a Stihl. In that vein, lots of 370's and some 390's and a couple of 311's keep popping up on marketplace. But, some 290's come up, too. A 290 would be just the size I'm looking for, but the others I mention seem as good? Trying to keep to a budget of $200-$250 and that seems easy enough with the ads I'm seeing. Otoh, some Echoes and Huskies come up, too. Like the CS590. Some are in the $200 range, but is it a good saw? Might a little too big for my needs, though. I've got a few weeks before I can buy anything, anyway. So, I figure good time to hone in on desirability of the different models.
I just need something more modern and a bit stronger than my DCS520 for the less frequent large trees I cut. Otherwise, I have smaller saw needs covered with a MS251 and MS180. And, one of those I may eventually sell or trade for a top handle
Oh, and with one of these bigger saws, I'd like to be able use some of this 3/8 bar/chain gear I already have. I've got a new 18" and a 20" bar with several chains.
I'd appreciate dialogue/input. Not really interested in "pro grade" equipment, but I also wouldn't turn something down if it fell within my budget goal
Thank you kindly
While this is just my 2 bits, it's likely worth exactly what you're paying for it so consider yourself warned....

I run Stihl equipment mainly because that's what I learned to run and learned to work on many years ago. Some of my saws predate the "pro" saws, but all are built on what eventually became a "pro" platform with the exception of my 064. I've run an 025 and an 028. Not bad saws, but if I'm buying used, I'd gladly spend more money for an 026/260/261 or an 036/360/361. If for no other reason, the reduced weight is worth it alone. 2 lbs doesn't seem like a lot unless your running the saw all day long. I don't run my saws frequently, but when I do, I'm generally working 10 to 12 hrs with them and I'll take all the help I can get. FWIW, most of my cutting is on larger hickory in the 24" range with some oak and locust and an occasional ash, walnut, and rarely a soft wood like silver maple or pine (mostly clean up or removing something in the yard or a neighbors yard). As others have said, if you are running an MS250/251 either trade it in on an MS261 or save money for a 60cc or 70cc saw. I use my 45-50 cc saws mainly for limbing. Most of my bucking is done with an 036. If I'm doing a lot of cutting over 20", or if I'm noodling, I move up to a big saw.

I'm not familiar with the Husqvarna or Echo saws, but I've read a lot of good things about them. Either way, if you're running a 45-50cc saw currently, you'll want to move up to a 60cc saw. An MS261 is definitely a step up from a 251, but its not worth the money to have 2 saws in the same size range. As far as moving up to 60cc or more, there are only 2 ways to do that and stay within your budget. One is to search for a really good deal on a well maintained used saw. These are hard to find, and there's always a risk that you're buying someone else's problems. There is a guy in my area who assemble used saws from good used OEM parts. I bought my first 036 from for $200 almost 15 years ago. He had an 034 Pro sitting next to it for $185. I almost bought both, and I've kicked myself ever since for not doing it. My 036 has been an absolute champ. I picked up another 036 off craigslist last year site unseen for $300 and its had its issues. My best assessment is that it was originally a very early 036 that has been rebuilt. I'll get the kinks worked out eventually, and I still consider it to be worth the cost for someone who's dead set against going with the 2nd option below. I mention this saw because I would consider my experience with it to be the "average" experience when buying a saw off of craigslist or something similar. Some are going to be much better. Others are going to be much worse. The market place on here, however, should yield a better experience so long as you check into the seller before making the purchase. This is a more select group of individuals meaning if you are looking for something specific, you might have to wait a while to find one.

The 2nd option for getting into a +60cc saw is to go with a Chinese knockoff. This is a hotly debated topic on the forum so feel free to do some more reading and see what people have to say. Personally, I don't care what others have to say about it. Until someone else wants to fund my purchases, I'll make my own choices and live with the consequences. That said, I've got about 8 gallons of mix through my G660 (066 clone, 93cc powerhead for $321 to my door), and it has been great so far. A lot of that fuel was used running a 42" full skip bar and chain on +95deg days as I was cleaning up a large pin oak (roughly 6' at the base) in the back yard that I had to take down the previous winter. There were parts on the saw that needed replaced right out of the gate which is obviously frustrating but I had done my homework and had anticipated this. I bought new fasteners from my local Stihl dealer, new e-clips and a high output oil pump from Hyway, and that's been about it. I don't earn a living with a chainsaw, so I can't justify the cost of buying new OEM equipment. Also, if a saw starts giving me problems, I generally have one or two others that can do the job so its not a big deal. For these reasons, if my garage burned down tonight and I had to replace all of my saws, they would probably all be blue. If you go this route, buy from US stock because the shipping is free (shipping from china increases the price to more than those that are US stock), and try to catch them on sale. If you want to try to avoid having to do any work on the saw when it arrives, you might try somewhere like Wagner's Chainsaws or Bluesaws.com and have them run through the saw first and replace the questionable stuff. The cost is still on par with a used OEM saw but you'll have more confidence that you're not getting a lemon or buying someone else's problems and presumably you'd have someone to talk to if you did run into any problems. As a reference point, I can buy a new G366 (MS361 clone) for $320. This would have been a better investment than the $300 I spent on craigslist.

Just my 2 bits.
Mark

BTW, anyone here ever shipped a saw? What did it run you? Found another MS310 in "excellent" shape for $150. It's in Martin, TN, but my pop and my sister is in Memphis. Might be able to swing a deal

Shipping a saw is easy, UPS or Fedex will handle it. Drain fluids, double bag it, pack it tightly. Might have to get creative with how you stick the bar in the box, and shipping the bar separately might cost less.

I wouldn't buy a used saw sight unseen, unless it was checked by someone whose judgement and abilities I trusted.

Pack your lunch for a couple months instead of spending $10 at the drive through window, and get the CS590.

Shipping a saw is easy, UPS or Fedex will handle it. Drain fluids, double bag it, pack it tightly. Might have to get creative with how you stick the bar in the box, and shipping the bar separately might cost less.

I wouldn't buy a used saw sight unseen, unless it was checked by someone whose judgement and abilities I trusted.

Pack your lunch for a couple months instead of spending $10 at the drive through window, and get the CS590.
It's getting hard to find a drive through where I only spend $10....

Since you are in a Want vs Need mode, save your money till you can buy a newer chainsaw.
I understand what you're saying. I just don't see much point in paying full retail. I am going to have to start just saving, though, you're right about that. The desirable saws are often too far away to drive or get snatched up pretty quick being at the generous prices they are. At least now with all y'all have shared I know better what to look for. Just means I'll have to go above my original budget for something. There's some really nice saws in the sub $400 range. I mean really nice. Probably more saw than I need...haha!

I'll make my own choices and live with the consequences. That said, I've got about 8 gallons of mix through my G660 (066 clone, 93cc powerhead for $321 to my door), and it has been great so far.
Best saw purchase I have made, most saw you can get for the money.

I am considering the Echo as the prices for used/in great shape are pretty good. Otoh, I would rather have a Stihl or, second to that, a Husqvarna. I don't see anything wrong with a homeowner grade saw if it's a good saw. Plenty of non-pro's seem quite satisfied. My Makita I bought from Lowe's, though I'm told it's more pro grade. I can't really see why, but it has been a great saw.
I just bought an echo 620pw. Got dealer day 15 percent off..I love it..plenty of power..tune after 5 tanks of gas. I don't know about tuning much so I had dealer throw that in as part of the deal. I had a sthil 251 and the echo is a lot more saw for not much more price.

Well we hijacked this guy's thread, sorry you gotta save a few bucks and get a 590 or 620. Heres my 620 rocking a 27" chewing through green maple like it's not there. Such a strong saw after muffler mod and 15+ tanks

Attachments

• IMG_0926.jpg
    IMG_0926.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 0
I just bought an echo 620pw. Got dealer day 15 percent off..I love it..plenty of power..tune after 5 tanks of gas. I don't know about tuning much so I had dealer throw that in as part of the deal. I had a sthil 251 and the echo is a lot more saw for not much more price.
I wouldn't rely on a dealer to adequately tune a saw, read up on it here and do your own is my advice. BIG difference after muffler mod and proper retune on these machines.

Perhaps it is easy. It's just if anyone wants to deal with it.
I hear what you're saying about buying sight unseen. The deal in Martin, TN is close to my pop, and he could definitely be a good judge. He taught me to work on cars, bicycles, and other stuff growing up. He always fixed the cars. That Martin deal ain't gonna happen, anyway.
Lol...everyone keeps saying get the Echo. It's on the table. There is at least one Echo dealer within a half hour drive, so there's that for service and parts. There again, the Stihl dealer is just down the road from him.....haha.
I went to both shops the other day. No one had any used saws for sale. And, no one interested in trade in's. I got a fuel filter for my MS180, though!

If you're not in a hurry, just keep a list of good saws handy and check the various listings daily. There's an 034 for $350 nearish to me, and I see NIB Echo 590s for $250 every so often. Know what you're after and be ready to strike immediately, the deals don't last.

Someone posted a Honda EU2000i for $400 last week. I already have one and don't need another, but that'd be an easy relist and flip for $800. I called half an hour after it was posted, and it was already gone.

While this is just my 2 bits, it's likely worth exactly what you're paying for it so consider yourself warned....

I run Stihl equipment mainly because that's what I learned to run and learned to work on many years ago. Some of my saws predate the "pro" saws, but all are built on what eventually became a "pro" platform with the exception of my 064. I've run an 025 and an 028. Not bad saws, but if I'm buying used, I'd gladly spend more money for an 026/260/261 or an 036/360/361. If for no other reason, the reduced weight is worth it alone. 2 lbs doesn't seem like a lot unless your running the saw all day long. I don't run my saws frequently, but when I do, I'm generally working 10 to 12 hrs with them and I'll take all the help I can get. FWIW, most of my cutting is on larger hickory in the 24" range with some oak and locust and an occasional ash, walnut, and rarely a soft wood like silver maple or pine (mostly clean up or removing something in the yard or a neighbors yard). As others have said, if you are running an MS250/251 either trade it in on an MS261 or save money for a 60cc or 70cc saw. I use my 45-50 cc saws mainly for limbing. Most of my bucking is done with an 036. If I'm doing a lot of cutting over 20", or if I'm noodling, I move up to a big saw.

I'm not familiar with the Husqvarna or Echo saws, but I've read a lot of good things about them. Either way, if you're running a 45-50cc saw currently, you'll want to move up to a 60cc saw. An MS261 is definitely a step up from a 251, but its not worth the money to have 2 saws in the same size range. As far as moving up to 60cc or more, there are only 2 ways to do that and stay within your budget. One is to search for a really good deal on a well maintained used saw. These are hard to find, and there's always a risk that you're buying someone else's problems. There is a guy in my area who assemble used saws from good used OEM parts. I bought my first 036 from for $200 almost 15 years ago. He had an 034 Pro sitting next to it for $185. I almost bought both, and I've kicked myself ever since for not doing it. My 036 has been an absolute champ. I picked up another 036 off craigslist last year site unseen for $300 and its had its issues. My best assessment is that it was originally a very early 036 that has been rebuilt. I'll get the kinks worked out eventually, and I still consider it to be worth the cost for someone who's dead set against going with the 2nd option below. I mention this saw because I would consider my experience with it to be the "average" experience when buying a saw off of craigslist or something similar. Some are going to be much better. Others are going to be much worse. The market place on here, however, should yield a better experience so long as you check into the seller before making the purchase. This is a more select group of individuals meaning if you are looking for something specific, you might have to wait a while to find one.

The 2nd option for getting into a +60cc saw is to go with a Chinese knockoff. This is a hotly debated topic on the forum so feel free to do some more reading and see what people have to say. Personally, I don't care what others have to say about it. Until someone else wants to fund my purchases, I'll make my own choices and live with the consequences. That said, I've got about 8 gallons of mix through my G660 (066 clone, 93cc powerhead for $321 to my door), and it has been great so far. A lot of that fuel was used running a 42" full skip bar and chain on +95deg days as I was cleaning up a large pin oak (roughly 6' at the base) in the back yard that I had to take down the previous winter. There were parts on the saw that needed replaced right out of the gate which is obviously frustrating but I had done my homework and had anticipated this. I bought new fasteners from my local Stihl dealer, new e-clips and a high output oil pump from Hyway, and that's been about it. I don't earn a living with a chainsaw, so I can't justify the cost of buying new OEM equipment. Also, if a saw starts giving me problems, I generally have one or two others that can do the job so its not a big deal. For these reasons, if my garage burned down tonight and I had to replace all of my saws, they would probably all be blue. If you go this route, buy from US stock because the shipping is free (shipping from china increases the price to more than those that are US stock), and try to catch them on sale. If you want to try to avoid having to do any work on the saw when it arrives, you might try somewhere like Wagner's Chainsaws or Bluesaws.com and have them run through the saw first and replace the questionable stuff. The cost is still on par with a used OEM saw but you'll have more confidence that you're not getting a lemon or buying someone else's problems and presumably you'd have someone to talk to if you did run into any problems. As a reference point, I can buy a new G366 (MS361 clone) for $320. This would have been a better investment than the $300 I spent on craigslist.

Just my 2 bits.
Mark
All points taken. Otoh, I see some saws being sold simply because the owner just doesn't need it, anymore. Nothing wrong with it, as stated.
I've seen a couple of those "clones", if that's what you mean by chinese knockoff. Meh.....just on principle I don't consider them. It's true, though, plenty of the once US based tools on the market (DeWalt, Ridgid, Ryobi, etc, etc) are now made in China and I only ever have minor prob's with them. So, perhaps the saws are the same way. I don't have much choice on tools, but I do on a saw.
A DCS6401 just came up for $350 not twenty minutes from me. The thing looks like it's been used for maybe a winter. If it's still up in a couple/three weeks, I'll have my debts paid off and have a talk with the guy. "OBO"!!

If you're not in a hurry, just keep a list of good saws handy and check the various listings daily. There's an 034 for $350 nearish to me, and I see NIB Echo 590s for $250 every so often. Know what you're after and be ready to strike immediately, the deals don't last.

Someone posted a Honda EU2000i for $400 last week. I already have one and don't need another, but that'd be an easy relist and flip for $800. I called half an hour after it was posted, and it was already gone.
Well, I was in a hurry, but reality has me cooling my jets. I am definitely keeping a list, though.
I have a nice Honda 3500w generator I have to take to a local guy for a rebuild. I bought it, tried to keep it started every month, then the starter cord broke, it sat too long, and then it wouldn't start at all. No electric start. I'd rather have one with, but "someone" else insists keeping it since we already have money in it. I can't persuade her that there are better generators out there today than this one made twenty years ago.

Well, I was in a hurry, but reality has me cooling my jets. I am definitely keeping a list, though.
I have a nice Honda 3500w generator I have to take to a local guy for a rebuild. I bought it, tried to keep it started every month, then the starter cord broke, it sat too long, and then it wouldn't start at all. No electric start. I'd rather have one with, but "someone" else insists keeping it since we already have money in it. I can't persuade her that there are better generators out there today than this one made twenty years ago.

Check reviews on local servicing saw dealers, and save up however long it takes to buy a saw that the best one can service.

I don't know who that is...lol

No worries, he's a financial guy who focuses on paying off debts.

Back