Help me find NOS MS 241CM

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have still lost me. How is it more compact than a 026/260/261. Power to weight ration Really? what is the exact weight difference? A narrow bar with narrow chain....why is that an advantage. As for the most powerful using to picco that might be but why does any one want to use the picco to cut wood? Picco is a small wood brush chain.
Bill I have both the 241 and 261.. I used the 241 for cutting some pretty big stuff. Granted a bigger saw would have been better but the 241 is a cuttin sum of beech. The lighter weight of the 241 makes it fun to use for us old farts. How' the foot healing Bill?

Exactly! I use my 241 for limbing and trimming small diameter wood. I would not cut firewood with it. I have bigger saws for that.
My point is how does it do a better job than a 026/260/261. If the 241 is the greastest damm thing since sliced bread there has to be a reason. If they were such a great saw over the 261 then Stihl would be selling the hell out of them and the supply would be out there. Nobody would be on the internet looking for them.

Bill I have both the 241 and 261.. I used the 241 for cutting some pretty big stuff. Granted a bigger saw would have been better but the 241 is a cuttin sum of beech. The lighter weight of the 241 makes it fun to use for us old farts. How' the foot healing Bill?
Steve the feet are healing slowly but surely. I still cannot wear shoes. I was able to get a pair of jeans on Wednesday. That is the first in a month. I hope to cut a bit Sunday.

So just how much lighter is the 241 over a 261. I have a story about "lightweight" saws for later..

My point is how does it do a better job than a 026/260/261. If the 241 is the greastest damm thing since sliced bread there has to be a reason. If they were such a great saw over the 261 then Stihl would be selling the hell out of them and the supply would be out there. Nobody would be on tehe internet looking for them.
I think there was to narrow of a market for the 241 for the price at the time. The 261 wasn't that much more and guys could put a 16" bar on it to use as a limbing saw.

Steve the feet are healing slowly but surely. I still cannot wera shoes. I was able to get a pair of jeans on Wednesday. That is the first in a month. I hope to cut a bit Sunday.

So just how much lighter is the 241 over a 261. I have a story about "lightweight" saws for later..
Looks like 10.3 lbs for the 241 and 11.6 for the 261. Powerhead dry weight.

I think there was to narrow of a market for the 241 for the price at the time. The 261 wasn't that much more and guys could put a 16" bar on it to use as a limbing saw.
That is basically the point I was trying to make. I hear guys talk about "limbing" saws. I always wonder just what size a tree they are cutting that they limb it with a saw running a 14' bar and picco chain. I used to keep a few 3/8LP saws around but I just got fed up with them. The 026/260/261 is the perfect small saw. I has has a HUGE advantage over the 241 in that it uses a 12mm bar ans standard 3/8 chain. I can take a 026, 034. 440, and 660 with me. All those saws run the same 20" bar with the same 72Dl chain. All I need is a few spare 72DL chains in case I rock out one on ANY of the saws. I see you said the 241 was 20.8 ounces lighter than a 261. Lets just think about that.....20,8 oz is a bottle of soda. My personal opinion is those few ounces are nothing compared to running a superior saw. Of course to each their own and we all are different. That is what makes the world go round. :)

That is basically the point I was trying to make. I hear guys talk about "limbing" saws. I always wonder just what size a tree they are cutting that they limb it with a saw running a 14' bar and picco chain. I used to keep a few 3/8LP saws around but I just got fed up with them. The 026/260/261 is the perfect small saw. I has has a HUGE advantage over the 241 in that it uses a 12mm bar ans standard 3/8 chain. I can take a 026, 034. 440, and 660 with me. All those saws run the same 20" bar with the same 72Dl chain. All I need is a few spare 72DL chains in case I rock out one on ANY of the saws. I see you said the 241 was 20.8 ounces lighter than a 261. Lets just think about that.....20,8 oz is a bottle of soda. My personal opinion is those few ounces are nothing compared to running a superior saw. Of course to each their own and we all are different. That is what makes the world go round. :)
Yes a few ounces doesn't matter most of the time. The 2 saws I have been running mostly as of late are the 261 and 400. The 400 gets the log end and then pick up the 261 for the limbs. About 1.2 lbs. difference between the 2 . I do run a 16" 3/8 picco on the 241. T he only short bar I ever ran was a 10" on my first saw.
A Monkey Wards branded Mac. :laugh:

I echo your thinking on having a starndard chain to use across several saws, that certainly adds a lot of value to your sawing activities, and hence your questioning the value of the picco bar/chain setup. And it makes perfect sense to me why you run the saws that you have described.
My expectation is that the narrow bar has a smaller surface area for the chain to run on, so there is slightly less drag/friction between the bar and chain than with wider bars, and the narrower chain has to cut less width of wood in the "cut", so it requires less power to cut through a log compared to a wider chain/bar. Hence giving some logic to the "performance" and "appeal" of the 241 that we read about.
I don't have any proof of the difference in cutting performance of different bar/chain widths with comparison testing, but I am sure someone here on this forum has done some testing... :) Whether it is significant or marginal, I don't know..., but any potential benefit of the narrow bar/chain is likely to be much less in operational value than the "shared chain" advantage that you describe in your post.

I echo your thinking on having a starndard chain to use across several saws, that certainly adds a lot of value to your sawing activities, and hence your questioning the value of the picco bar/chain setup. And it makes perfect sense to me why you run the saws that you have described.
My expectation is that the narrow bar has a smaller surface area for the chain to run on, so there is slightly less drag/friction between the bar and chain than with wider bars, and the narrower chain has to cut less width of wood in the "cut", so it requires less power to cut through a log compared to a wider chain/bar. Hence giving some logic to the "performance" and "appeal" of the 241 that we read about.
I don't have any proof of the difference in cutting performance of different bar/chain widths with comparison testing, but I am sure someone here on this forum has done some testing... :) Whether it is significant or marginal, I don't know..., but any potential benefit of the narrow bar/chain is likely to be much less in operational value than the "shared chain" advantage that you describe in your post.
The only "testing " we have done was comparing 3/8lp to .325 on a MS 250. Another member here had the .325 on his and thought the saw sucked. We put on a 3/8lp on it and he said it was a totally different saw. All my 60 cc and above saws run 3/8. 50 cc are .325 and less than 50cc are the 3/8lp. Like you said, the narrower chain has less friction in the cut IMO.

Well the only reason I even asked (I looked up the numbers finally while most were expounding on how they not comparable) is I actually like the weight and power of the MS250. I do wish it was not the clamshell design.

I have a MS260Pro and it definitely is more powerful but is also 1/2” pound or so heavier. After looking, the 260 is 1/2 or so HP stronger than the 241 as well so not a tradeoff I‘d make.

I have a 7lb saw for when I’m feeling poorly 🤒 like now 🥹

These are the types of discussions I enjoy. In the beginning it may have appeared I was very critical of the 241 and in fact I was. I did that to really try to get to the root of it's popularity. Of course we are all different and see things from different perspectives. That is truly what makes sites like this great. There is no doubt the type of saws and cutting each of us do is vastly different. It will never make one view right or wrong....just different. Years ago there was a pair of fallers working here carrying 088's (24") up and down the hills. I asked them why they were using 088's. They puffed out their chests and bragged about needing the power. I chuckled a bit. They were young guys. I often wonder now as they are older if they still pack those saws around.

Well, it took almost four weeks, but my saw arrived today. Made in Germany, set up for .325” chain, with a spur.

I ordered it without a bar and chain…. But they sent me a 16” bar and chain. For all the hassle, and the retailer dragging their feet I’ll just consider it fair compensation.

So, while I will say, Mowers2Go did deliver the product, their service was poor. It shouldn’t take 4 weeks to get an in stock product to me door from the UK, when paying for air freight! And the shipper confirmed, it was the retailer, failing to provide the needed information, after prodding.

Well, it took almost four weeks, but my saw arrived today. Made in Germany, set up for .325” chain, with a spur.
Congrats!
Pls make sure to share your actual "experience" compared to your "expectations".
It has been a lively thread with lots of discussions so far!

Back