Help me fix a bar oil leak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got the HT131, same problem here, I think it has a manufacturing/engineering flaw. I even had the saw head replaced, about 8 months later....leaking again. It has been to the dealer 4 times now, still leaking.
I guess I am gonna tear into myself. Just wondering if anybody else has had these type of problems, or if we are the only two? Be nice if I could find a schematic drawing for the head. The dealer did also put some silicone on it, as Erick suggested, started leaking again.
All mine leak.

I also have this problem, in my case with the HT 131 as another mentioned. I tried storing it with a bucket under it to save the leaked oil, but then a couple hundred bugs decided to die there, so that wasn't a real help, then I decided to just pour it out after every use, so it could only leak a little, but that's a pain and I worry it's making it take longer for the oil to refill the system to lubricate the chain each day I start using it again... I should just take it to the dealer as I believe that this particular pole saw is still under warranty.

Wash it put some newspaper under it and watch it.

Funny, my sons old suzuki ts125 was leaking oil at the shifter shaft. I installed a new seal. Still leaking. I felt a nick in the shaft that cut the new seal when I installed it. I sanded it smooth and the leak stopped. Being the good dad I am I put oil on the newspaper under it. The kid was in tears, joke lol

Yeah, my 131 leaks as well, but right now I’m trying to figure out why the chain only spins when it’s in the retracted position. You guys got anything on that?

Also have a 131 that has served for years without leaking. in the past month it has been leaking when not in use. from this thread and others I found the diagrams and removed the tank, filter, rubber boot thingy, and oil pump, all look good. I cleaned it up and put a little silicone around where the rubber boot seats to the bottom of the head and resealed it. its oiling like it should, but again after a few days its down to half the tank, with the rest on the ground. I used a colored bar oil to test it, and there is no leaking from the tank, it is all coming from the oiler hole for the bar.

When i had it apart i checked the little check ball that allows air into the tank and it was working fine, not allowing oil or air out of the tank. So my question is, is there another vent in the cap that lets air out for thermal expansion purposes that's gotten clogged? I was thinking maybe there might be because i've never had an oil tank "hiss" at me like the fuel tanks do when opened, but oil isn't as volatile either...

Any insights?

Yeah, my 131 leaks as well, but right now I’m trying to figure out why the chain only spins when it’s in the retracted position. You guys got anything on that?
Does the engine sound like its free revving or bogging when extended? Possible you broke the driveshaft in the pole and when retracted you've passed the connector for the head back onto the unbroken part. This should make it hard to collapse the shaft sometimes if its not lined up at the break. Another theory is its possible you're pulling the shaft off the clutch when you extend. If i'm remembering correctly The drive shaft is positioned axially within the drive tube by a pressed on sleeve on the shaft and plugs on either end plus the liner to take up space. if the liner is broken or the plugs have come out, or the bushing has moved from the knurled section of the driveshaft it might be allowing the shaft to disengage the clutch drum. I found a copy of the KombiTool service manual on one of these threads a while back and this is pages 16/17 I think.

with the saw off, remove the extension with the saw head from the main tube. When looking at the tube end you should see the splined drive shaft. it should turn by hand but not be able to be pulled out towards you. also, when you turn it, you should be able to look along the main tube back towards the motor and see the clutch drum turning. that should help you figure out if the shaft is broken or if another part that holds it in place is broke.

Back