Help me justify a new saw purchase

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the end it's your call and whatever your decision is I hope its one you can enjoy for many years!
The 4 stages of liking and owning chainsaws
First saw.. whats affordable at the time (typically under 50cc box store special)the adrenaline rush and new found ability to cut wood at will is amazing. You have fond memories of this saw even to this day, you still have chains that fit it laying around or hanging up somewhere.
Second saw.. After running the first saw for years you decided you needed more power(55-69cc), longer bar and made by a company that offers readily available parts and a real warranty likely with a repair facility near you. You likely still own this saw or your best friend/neighbor does and you visit it or it visits you.
stage 3 You now own 2+ 55-70cc saws yet you long for a 80+ cc saw that can cut trees wider than the height of any man you know, its sole purpose is for the trees no one else can touch in your friends list. So you buy one and you end up being called more often and run it all day a few times. You are given the highest sign of respect among friends and acquaintances, being offered a beer whenever in the presence of friends like your last name is Corleone. You also learned a saw can drink gasoline like a pre 70's muscle car and your brain often says thats why you now wear a back brace working with anything over 20 pounds.
Stage 4 You are now interested in the smallest, lightest saw possible including battery powered. You pack 3 saws when you go cut. small medium and the beater always kept behind the seat thats really a air freshener and ambience enhancer, it still starts on a dime in emergencies (after you spend 30 minutes "fixing it" then break out the either).
I must be stage 5... Oh that's a pretty 70cc saw.
I have several others but this one is nice, the price is a bargain, so I guess I should buy it to keep my other 40 saws company.
If I used every saw I have to cut a cord of wood, I can keep myself and my neighbors warm for the next decade.

I'm a homeowner firewood guy. I cut 2-3 cords/yr. My current 034, 034S, and 4 stroke abomination handle this just fine. I just want a toy.

What I'm looking at:

1. Keep what I already have and works, put the money in my pocket
2. Echo 590 - basically equivalent to what I have now, just new. By the specs, my 034S should be more powerful, but it's lead a long hard life, and people who have trigger time on the 590 say it's more powerful.
3. 462 - Overkill for what I do.
4. 500i - Stupid overkill for what I do. If I was pulling the trigger today, this is what I'd do. Small enough cost increase from the 462 that I'd happily pay the extra and make the jump.

I'd probably go with a 28" light bar on the 462/500i. M tronic and fuel injection don't worry me a bit vs. carb. I'd potentially be open to a ported 462, but for the cost of porting, I'd rather just step up to the 500i.

Share your thoughts.
1. Keeping what you got is never a bad idea considering you know what you got and inflation just went through the roof.
2. Echo 590 sound like a good saw you can beat the living hell out of and it will just keep going. Not a bad plan either.

(Ohh I have a game changer at the end I'll throw in for fun you might already know about it. Most don't though)

Anyway my two cents is get exactly what you want and don't worry about the price tag. You will thank yourself later on over and over again. What I look for in a saw is can I throw a new top end on it, does it have a mag crank case, does it have a rim sprocket because if it's a toy I might want to get a 20" bar and an 8tooth sprocket or try .404 chain or whatever. Easier swaps with the rim sprocket. Also does it have a metal handle, I broke a plastic and will never buy another plastic handle saw. And lastly does it have the side chain tensioner. I hate putting a screwdriver right in close to the bar. Makes no sense to me I'm not a logger. (395xp) I'd get the 390xp for that reason.

I thought about running one saw and just having one to deal with. I think about it all the time and Id go with an ms400 or ms362 if I could just have one. Get an extra bar and keep tools on the truck. My setup now is an 026 and 372xp. Small and mid saw does a lot. Ohh yeah and the kicker I was going to tell you about. You would never think it but a battery powered skill saw kicks ass. I take it camping for firewood. Cuts way faster than any chainsaw and I can cut up to 6" with it. Got to flip the branch over but it works great. I drove across the country from Seattle to Louisiana and camped out every night and made killer fires at every camp we could. Never fired up the chainsaw once for a month trip. Throw a power inverter on the truck and you're set for a lot of quick camp stuff. Super awesome if you have a hot tent you burn wood at deer camp or something. It whips out branches quick.

Just held a 590. Didn't really flip my trigger.
I bought a ECHO 620P a few months ago. The numbers say it is a better saw than the 590. I like the 620. Cuts faster than my old 034 Stihl, but not what my Stihl 441 is neither. It's a nice saw, however, it is NOT the saw some say it is. It will not put the Stihl 361 to shame like some said it would. It is a nice saw. I also bought an Echo 501P. It's a nice saw, but it will NOT put the Stihl 261 to shame neither like many said it would. It can hardly beat my 22 yr. old Stihl 026 with an air leak in the crankcase.

I bought a ECHO 620P a few months ago. The numbers say it is a better saw than the 590. I like the 620. Cuts faster than my old 034 Stihl, but not what my Stihl 441 is neither. It's a nice saw, however, it is NOT the saw some say it is. It will not put the Stihl 361 to shame like some said it would. It is a nice saw. I also bought an Echo 501P. It's a nice saw, but it will NOT put the Stihl 261 to shame neither like many said it would. It can hardly beat my 22 yr. old Stihl 026 with an air leak in the crankcase.
Borrowed one of my rebuilt 026s to a 76yr old neighbor for the last couple of weeks who was lookiing for something lighter than his 461.
He ultimately purchased a Echo 501P on Thursday after trying to decide between it a 261 and 550XP.
Today we ran his new 501P 18" alongside the 026 with a 16" b&c, He is hoping the new saw wakes up a bit as it breaks in and with the slight differences in bar length he thought maybe the 026 had more than his new saw but was still happy with it and at his age he was not really worried if the saw was going to still be running 20yrs from now. :rolleyes: I have a 026/260/261 044 CAD but today after running both saws side by side I think my neighbor made a good decision for himself considering the price differences and his age.

I'm a homeowner firewood guy. I cut 2-3 cords/yr. My current 034, 034S, and 4 stroke abomination handle this just fine. I just want a toy.

What I'm looking at:

1. Keep what I already have and works, put the money in my pocket
2. Echo 590 - basically equivalent to what I have now, just new. By the specs, my 034S should be more powerful, but it's lead a long hard life, and people who have trigger time on the 590 say it's more powerful.
3. 462 - Overkill for what I do.
4. 500i - Stupid overkill for what I do. If I was pulling the trigger today, this is what I'd do. Small enough cost increase from the 462 that I'd happily pay the extra and make the jump.

I'd probably go with a 28" light bar on the 462/500i. M tronic and fuel injection don't worry me a bit vs. carb. I'd potentially be open to a ported 462, but for the cost of porting, I'd rather just step up to the 500i.

Share your thoughts.
I own a 500i and have trigger time on a 462...I also own a 400, which is a saw you might consider.

The 462 is a screamer, it likes to rev. It still has the torque that you'd expect out of a 72cc saw, but it likes being kept wide open. The 500i is definitely a torquier saw and better for pulling a longer bar, but either one will have no issues with only a 28".

The 500i feels marginally heavier, but it's still insanely light for what it is. Also the air filtration is waaayyyy better on the 462...although you won't really notice if you're used to old Stihl air filters.

If I was doing a one saw plan, I'd probably go with the 462. At work, I have one saw to carry, so I chose a wrap handle 462...I can brush and fall with it. For my personal saws, I went with a 400 and a 500i(among 8 other saws.) There is enough differentiation between the 400 and 500 to justify both of them.

The 400 gets compared to the 462 all too often, but is a really nice saw in it's own right. By displacement, it's fair to compare it to the 70cc class. By weight, it compares against the 60cc. It spools up quickly, but still has decent torque. It has no issues pulling a 28" bar, although the chain gets a bit dry when cutting "dusty" species of trees.

Borrowed one of my rebuilt 026s to a 76yr old neighbor for the last couple of weeks who was lookiing for something lighter than his 461.
He ultimately purchased a Echo 501P on Thursday after trying to decide between it a 261 and 550XP.
Today we ran his new 501P 18" alongside the 026 with a 16" b&c, He is hoping the new saw wakes up a bit as it breaks in and with the slight differences in bar length he thought maybe the 026 had more than his new saw but was still happy with it and at his age he was not really worried if the saw was going to still be running 20yrs from now. :rolleyes: I have a 026/260/261 044 CAD but today after running both saws side by side I think my neighbor made a good decision for himself considering the price differences and his age.
Borrowed? or lent to? it can't be both...and, yes he made a good decision.......great posting, because its ended.

Got it narrowed down, definitely going for the 500i. I've checked three local dealers, and nada at any of them. If I come across one as I go about my normal business, I'll jump on it. Otherwise, I've got a couple financial goals to hit, and once those are done, I'll treat myself. At that point I'll start calling dealers that are farther out, and actively looking.

Thanks folks.

Got it narrowed down, definitely going for the 500i. I've checked three local dealers, and nada at any of them. If I come across one as I go about my normal business, I'll jump on it. Otherwise, I've got a couple financial goals to hit, and once those are done, I'll treat myself. At that point I'll start calling dealers that are farther out, and actively looking.

Thanks folks.

Murdochs hiked the price on the 500i, but my "local" HW Store still has one marked at $1469, same price I paid back in Sept21. I suppose they didn't get the price hike memo. Good price to anyone looking for the saw, while they hold that price. Tick'Tock'Tick on how long that price lasts.

FWIW this is in Wallace, Id at the Ace Hardware store.

/* Edit */

The saw is equipped with a 32" B&C, and the bar is a Rollomatic Light bar.

Got it narrowed down, definitely going for the 500i
Well, page 3 in you thread sir and sure you made up your mind.
I'd say MS400 would be perfect for you, normally. Who wants a "normally" saw anyway... whatever that is.

That said now when the chainsaw bug is eating out your brain and if you bought a 400 you would sooner or later regret it - for no reason at all, but the 462 might be more powerful and is just a little more dollas. It could run a longer bar that you dont need, but it would be a longer bar. But then again if you bought a 462 you'd have the same thought sooner or later - for no reason at all.
Now if you buy the 500 you are one step ahead of the chainsaw bug, probably the wrong choice based on your needs though.
Just thought I'd let you know if I get through to you way in the chainsaw bug purble haze.

I have a 500i...and if I were to buy a saw today, it would be a 500i. :D
Isn't that related to what dimention trees and logs your usually cutting, my guess you cut 28" of wood usually.
My 038m is way more powerful than my Dolmar 5105, but my Dolmar 5105 is way faster cutting 16-18" of wood.
A lot lighter and maneuverable too.. with a quicker response at the throttle. Nothing pleases my mind more than aggressive throttle response.

Murdochs hiked the price on the 500i, but my "local" HW Store still has one marked at $1469, same price I paid back in Sept21. I suppose they didn't get the price hike memo. Good price to anyone looking for the saw, while they hold that price. Tick'Tock'Tick on how long that price lasts.

FWIW this is in Wallace, Id at the Ace Hardware store.

/* Edit */

The saw is equipped with a 32" B&C, and the bar is a Rollomatic Light bar.
My local Ace hasn't even seen a 500i. They do have a spot for one on the shelf, which makes no sense to me.

I’ve found I use a 70cc saw the most. Not a stihl guy but I’d give a 500 a go. The light weight. Power. Checks the boxes for me.

Technically I’m a husky guy. I wanna see them build something to compete. I’ve got all the saws I need. Currently into cheap plastic saws. Kinda got out of collecting. Did recently buy another 272xp. I have a thing for older husky’s

My local Ace hasn't even seen a 500i. They do have a spot for one on the shelf, which makes no sense to me.
I am about 15 minutes from the largest Stihl dealer in my state as well as others nada Knor could they say when they might get one in, checked around on big Huskies same story. I ordered my Husky from Florida and had it in 3 days.

Hopefully by the time you have your finances in order the 500i will be available.

Just found a 500iR at the local Coastal Farm store, but it didn't have a bar and chain, so they couldn't sell it. They had suitable bars and chains in stock separately, but wouldn't pull one off the shelf to make a complete saw. Very frustrating.

I put it on layaway and put down a deposit, so it's reserved as mine. They'll call me when the rest of the bits come in. When that'll be, no one knew.

I'll keep my eyes open elsewhere for another saw I can actually buy, too.

Turned out the bar and chain was just on another pallet, and had come in this morning as well. Right place, right time.

Not sure what I'm doing with the 32" bar and chain, but I'm definitely getting a 28" and a few chains.

View attachment 991867
Congrats on the purchase! You'll like that 500i.

I'm not sure why they wouldn't sell it w/o the bar/chain...my last 2 new Stihl purchases were w/o the bars. Both times, they just credited me the value of the bar. My 500i was still in the box when I got it.

Back