Help me pick my next saw! (241/251/261)?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To the OP, I can speak volumes on the MS-261 CM...it's the only saw I have outta your choices. If you buy it, you won't be disappointed.

I haven't ran a 241 or the 261(newest version). The older 261 is a good saw but I'd take a 361 over it.

With your 361 and 461, you should be looking for something smaller. I have a couple rear handle 200's w/ 14" b&c that are killer for limbs and small bucking jobs, the ported one is insane. Finding one of those in good shape for a decent price will be tough, I've been told the newest version of the 201 is a good saw.

Maybe look at the 20" Stihl ES lightweight bar for your 361. Might give you enough weight savings to run it longer. I plan on getting one soon, love my 28" on the ported 440.

To the OP, I can speak volumes on the MS-261 CM...it's the only saw I have outta your choices. If you buy it, you won't be disappointed.

That's a Stihl saw I would avoid, the 550xp no doubt is a better option in the 50cc class - unless you don't care how the saw handles.

That's a Stihl saw I would avoid, the 550xp no doubt is a better option in the 50cc class - unless you don't care how the saw handles.
I understand ST...but I gots what I gots...and the 261 has never missed a beat. You can tell from my sig, I'm not a one brand saw man...to be honest with ya, I'd suggest a damn nice Husky 55, base gasket delete, and rock on. The 55 I purchased from Hoskvarna (Mark) is my dead nutz, go to saw...it runs like a raped ape and pulls an 18" like there's no tomorrow. It don't check up in nothing I've put it through. I haven't read this whole thread...maybe a 445 might be a nice option. The 445 I've got runs like a scalded dog and its factory.

I like a small saw and find it useful my small saw more often than my larger saws. So out of you choices I would go 241. As mentioned above a lower cost alternative is the Dolmar 421 which is a great small saw as well.

Maybe look at the 20" Stihl ES lightweight bar for your 361. Might give you enough weight savings to run it longer. I plan on getting one soon, love my 28" on the ported 440.

Hello ol' friend/"foe" - long time, no see! :D

Do you have any contact with Tommy?

I agree with going with a light weight bar, if using one as long as 20" on a MS361.

If you pick the MS261, at least make sure that you get one of the new and lighter ones, the older ones aren't that much lighter than the 361.

An old thread but still good discussion. I think I'm going to pick up an MS 261 C-M today.

Latest posts

Back