Help me pick out a saw (new or used)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You're taking the context of the word "hard" all wrong David. What people mean is it's hard to put their time into rebuilding a saw only to end up with one that performs like a Stihl does. Anyone can rebuild one, it just takes the right kind of gumption to enjoy using it.:dancing:

Geeze, how do you really feel?

Let's see...why I like Sthil...umm...

(1) They tend to have inboard clutches on small saws. I like that.
(2) .....?????

Last year, I did spend a lot of time running a MS362CM...no complaints.

Roy

Geeze, how do you really feel?

Let's see...why I like Sthil...umm...

(1) They tend to have inboard clutches on small saws. I like that.
(2) .....?????

Last year, I did spend a lot of time running a MS362CM...no complaints.

Roy
Pretty sure inboard clutches are top to bottom across the Stihl line. Not just the small saws. If that's all you're used to I can't argue. Laying the bar in, then the chain, and then fitting everything hasn't bothered me either. I still fumble with it no matter how many times I do it but once back to cutting I make it count.

Pretty sure inboard clutches are top to bottom across the Stihl line. Not just the small saws. If that's all you're used to I can't argue. Laying the bar in, then the chain, and then fitting everything hasn't bothered me either. I still fumble with it no matter how many times I do it but once back to cutting I make it count.

I own two Huskys with the outboard clutch...and, it always feels odd to mount the bar. Not that it is a big deal. I was just searching for something I liked about Stihl.

I have never pinched a bar such that I had to remove the powerhead...but, I have been around others who have. A pinched, fully dogged-in, bar...maybe impossible to get the PH off with an outboard clutch.

Most of my cutting is with company saws, and they have been 95% Stihl.

I own two Huskys with the outboard clutch...and, it always feels odd to mount the bar. Not that it is a big deal. I was just searching for something I liked about Stihl.

I have never pinched a bar such that I had to remove the powerhead...but, I have been around others who have. A pinched, fully dogged-in, bar...maybe impossible to get the PH off with an outboard clutch.

Most of my cutting is with company saws, and they have been 95% Stihl.
Yah if you're pinching bars run Stihl.

The Echo 590 is a decent saw for the price, but parts for it are expensive if you have to replace anything. A friend has already broken the sprocket cover on his, quite flimsy, and the replacement is $75CDN for the plastic alone. Look for a used Husqvarna 55. Reliable, simple to work on and maintain, and aftermarket parts are cheap and readily available.

The Echo 590 is a decent saw for the price, but parts for it are expensive if you have to replace anything. A friend has already broken the sprocket cover on his, quite flimsy, and the replacement is $75CDN for the plastic alone. Look for a used Husqvarna 55. Reliable, simple to work on and maintain, and aftermarket parts are cheap and readily available.

Here is a clutch cover assembly for the CS-490 for 38 bucks. Seems reasonable.

https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/echo/p021049100

That is true, granted if you get one brand new for under $350 it shouldn't need any parts for several year unless someone runs it over.

I fixed an Echo 352 that someone had overheated and it melted the case. Ended up finding a new case for 40 bucks on Ebay.

Latest posts

Back