help me strip my gas tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

numnutz6383

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm restoring an old ~1980 Jred 451. The fuel tank had a bunch of varnish in it and the liner/paint was peeling. I bought Red Kote and thought this would be an easy strip job but its becoming a major PITA. I've tried a bunch of things that have been recommended to me (BBs, drywall screws), an a number of different solvents (acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner) and I still can't get all of the residue out of the tank. I've had solvents in there for several weeks at a time in some instances. I reached in there with a mini wire brush to get the areas I can reach, which worked well, but the tank has a lot of convolutions, nooks and crannies where I just can't reach and physically get at the liner. See video from my borescope that shows one "elbow" area in the 'L' shaped tank that has a lot of residue.

Any tips or advice?

Attachments

• MOV00001.mp4
    11 MB
The only solvent I have found to be very effective against varnished fuel is methylated spirits.

If you want to speed the process up, throw some small screws in there and give it a shake every 10 mins. Should be good after 30-60 mins.

I'm restoring an old ~1980 Jred 451. The fuel tank had a bunch of varnish in it and the liner/pain was peeling. I bought Red Kote and thought this would be an easy strip job but its becoming a major PITA. I've tried a bunch of things that have been recommended to me (BBs, drywall screws), an a number of different solvents (acetone, MEK, lacquer thinner) and I still can't get all of the residue out of the tank. I've had solvents in there for several weeks at a time in some instances. I reached in there with a mini wire brush to get the areas I can reach, which worked well, but the tank has a lot of convolutions, nooks and crannies where I just can't reach and physically get at the liner. See video from my borescope that shows one "elbow" area in the 'L' shaped tank that has a lot of residue.

Any tips or advice?
Well, you've managed to make a big mess. Your high powered solvents have completely bubbled and or removed whatever finish was on the inside of the tank. MEK is paint remover!

You really need a sand/bead blaster in there. If that is not available I would try medium/coarse sand or possibly granite screenings from one of your local trail surfaces.

Red Kote does a pretty good job of encapsulating anything left in the tank, just follow their instructions and try to rinse any solvents out thoroughly before you apply it. You could do a complete teardown and clean the cases that way, but seems like the Red Kote should work. Keep us posted.

The only solvent I have found to be very effective against varnished fuel is methylated spirits.

If you want to speed the process up, throw some small screws in there and give it a shake every 10 mins. Should be good after 30-60 mins.
Denatured alcohol, as it's called here in the USA. Better than MEK for removing paint and the original liner though? Tried screws, tried BBs. Neither completely did the job.
Well, you've managed to make a big mess. Your high powered solvents have completely bubbled and or removed whatever finish was on the inside of the tank. MEK is paint remover!

You really need a sand/bead blaster in there. If that is not available I would try medium/coarse sand or possibly granite screenings from one of your local trail surfaces.
The whole point was to remove everything so I could reseal it with red kote. When I got the saw the paint was already starting to peel (see attached pics), so I thought I'd just get ahead of it and just finish it. I thought about sand blaster but not sure how I could get at the areas that are adjacent to the filler neck (essentially 180 degree turn back).
IMG20221226193237.jpg
IMG20221226193230.jpg
Red Kote does a pretty good job of encapsulating anything left in the tank, just follow their instructions and try to rinse any solvents out thoroughly before you apply it. You could do a complete teardown and clean the cases that way, but seems like the Red Kote should work. Keep us posted.
Splitting the case is something I am trying to avoid at all costs. For one, I've never done it, and two, gaskets are no longer available.

The red kote would work over what's left of the paint in the tank?

The video still shows a significant amount of loose stuff ready to fall off. I would think that the red Kote may not get in and around all that debris.

I would still go a round of coarse (aquarium size) gravel to knock the loose stuff out. Aquarium gravel is an option if you can't find granite screenings on a local trail. The aquarium gravel doesn't have as sharp edges as the screenings but may work well enough

On old saws with mag tanks I have lashed them to the Massey35`s rear tire, jacked the tractor up til the tire clears the ground and let the engine idle in low gear. a couple hands full of of agitators like newly crushed gravel will remove any and all paint,varnish and corrosion in a half hour spin about.

On old saws with mag tanks I have lashed them to the Massey35`s rear tire, jacked the tractor up til the tire clears the ground and let the engine idle in low gear. a couple hands full of of agitators like newly crushed gravel will remove any and all paint,varnish and corrosion in a half hour spin about.
Let me see how poor of a Massey 35 impression my little ride on John Deere can do.

The video still shows a significant amount of loose stuff ready to fall off. I would think that the red Kote may not get in and around all that debris.

I would still go a round of coarse (aquarium size) gravel to knock the loose stuff out. Aquarium gravel is an option if you can't find granite screenings on a local trail. The aquarium gravel doesn't have as sharp edges as the screenings but may work well enough
Once the loose stuff is taken care of, can Red Kote be used on top of remaining intact paint that will be left in there?

Denatured alcohol, as it's called here in the USA. Better than MEK for removing paint and the original liner though? Tried screws, tried BBs. Neither completely did the job.

The whole point was to remove everything so I could reseal it with red kote. When I got the saw the paint was already starting to peel (see attached pics), so I thought I'd just get ahead of it and just finish it. I thought about sand blaster but not sure how I could get at the areas that are adjacent to the filler neck (essentially 180 degree turn back).
View attachment 1069892
View attachment 1069894

Splitting the case is something I am trying to avoid at all costs. For one, I've never done it, and two, gaskets are no longer available.

Sorry, I thought you just wanted to remove the varnished fuel, I didn’t know there was powdercoat in there. i can’t see any video or pictures.

My advice, slosh the tank with fuel to remove any loose flecks of powder coat and empty it out. Fill her up and forget about it. If any more powder coat falls off the filter will stop it and the 2 stroke mix will stop oxidation of the magnesium - lots of saws came with bare mag tanks and have no problem at all.

That tank sealer will peel off in time too and cause you more problems. A quick slosh and move on and enjoy the saw.

If I had my own choice I’d have both tanks (oil and fuel) as well as the internal area of the crankcase without powdercoat. It can flake and score / scuff a piston as well as flake off in tanks too.

Latest posts

Back