Help Please (Replacement Cylinder)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gman1

Reaction score
Hi. I’m getting a bit frustrated with different part numbers, chainsaw models, and the two manufacturers -Craftsman and Poulan. I was given a hardly used Craftsman 358.352162 chainsaw ‘kit’. It’s an older saw, but perfect for my seldom use. Unfortunately, I think my mixture was too lean and the saw is now nearly locked up. I purchased the correct piston kit, but can’t find a reasonably priced cylinder (part#530069931). An eBay kit would suffice, but the part numbers don’t match up even though the cylinders (or complete kits) look the same. Can anybody please find me the correct cylinder (or kit) to purchase? I’m frustrated trying to figure this out and reaching out with this post is a last resort. Thanks so much for your help!

I'd probably clean up the old cylinder.
Just as a exercise in, can you get it running for your needs...

Otherwise, honestly... is this thing worth it?
I probably would not put that much into it, but to each his own

I'd probably clean up the old cylinder...
I agree... Start by pulling the old cylinder off & inspecting it... You may find there's more going on than a scored p/c, in which case you won't have already thrown more $ at it. You also have nothing to loose by trying to clean up the old cylinder... Take to it with a sanding wheel in the drill or something similar & see how you get on.
Good luck, keep us posted

found your model I have a fair amount of craftsman and poulan saws originating from the 90's and newer, that I rebuilt a bunch..mainly for the educational value, not money. You fail to express the aluminum piston/chrome bore VS chrome piston/aluminum bore issue. Identifying what saw you have and which version you want, will make your path clearer to find the correct matching set and corresponding part numbers. forget the 36cc version
69931 upgrades to71570 however I would go for the 42cc version 69607 chrome barrel and 71408 piston. They are more readily available. The supersessions may have continued and my PN may not be current.
Around 2005 they changed to a new strato based engine.
E-10 mix is the main killer of all these saws.

Latest posts

Back