Help saving post oak tree

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaddyFlip

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Tornado last January started this then straight line winds in April split it apart from the other half. It's not really split, it grew this way. A friend and I were able to get a 10k strap in the tree last year to hold it but have not been able to get help to make a permanent fix. The tree guys "don't want to take my money" because they say it's a lost cause and I should let it fall (they don't want the job is really what's going on). But the tree is still thriving and I want to keep it. If I could winch the tree together another few inches and figure out a permanent strap, I would be happy. The leaning trunk is 20-inch diameter and the main base is almost 5 feet diameter. What can I do here? Equipment, method, strapping? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200413_092429.jpg
    IMG_20200413_092429.jpg
    557.3 KB · Views: 16
  • PXL_20210507_231033781.jpg
    PXL_20210507_231033781.jpg
    727.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_20200413_092316.jpg
    IMG_20200413_092316.jpg
    626.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200413_092332.jpg
    IMG_20200413_092332.jpg
    639.1 KB · Views: 14
From a tree service perspective that tree looks like a liability. For enough money though I would think you could get someone to install a cable in the canopy to hold it together for a few more years. Or, if there is no possibility of it falling on somebody or a building, just leave it and see what happens. To be certain, "winching the crack shut" wont do that tree any favors down the road. Its gone be full of moisture and fungus and bugs and you name it, winched shut or not. I would probably cut the smaller trunk and call it good enough.

I agree...I'd be hesitant to take that on. the separation has already started. we usually try to prevent separation.

I'd probably cut half of that trunk off - a few feet above where your strap is there is a "double leader" on that trunk. Cutting the inner portion of that off would really reduce the amount of weight. Probably cutting some of the other stuff too - all with the goal of reducing the load on defect.

That is probably too much to pull it back to where it belongs, so the goal is to keep it from going further.

The rule of thumb is that you measure from the split to the top of the tree and the cable should be installed 2/3 of the way up. Is the trunk big enough there to hold? Is there something big enough on the main trunk to anchor into?

Now the next question: are you in an oak wilt area? If so, all this work needs to wait until late summer or later (I'd rather wait until fall).

Thank you so far. I hadn't considered the negative effect of closing the gap, so I agree with anchoring as it is now or taking steps to trim weight from the leaning part. The good news is the tree was holding itself up before I added the strap and it is in the same place now as it was then. We've had some pretty high winds lately and it continues to stand.
I think short term I will replace the strap with chain and then reconsider my options in the fall. It's post oak so it's great for burning and cooking if it has to come down. I'm disappointed though; it's so big with great symmetry.
I'll update- thank you!

There’s no targets that I can see. I’d try and cable and brace it. 2 rods below, 1 above, and a cable in the canopy. Especially if your 100% on board.
The others you talked to are right, it’s a long shot, but if a client is willing to give a tree a shot and it’s not going to wind me up in court I’m game.

I live on three acres in the country. Only targets would be wildlife or my dogs but they rarely get around it. It's out in the middle of my big front yard away from the house and road. Agree on longshot and the only estimate I got was a guess of about $1500 to brace it up with no guarantees. Really appreciate the replies here!

Back