HELP Starting Stump Grinder That’s Been Sitting 3 yrs. RAYCO 1642

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd31021

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My dad passed away about 3 years ago. His stump grinder has been sitting under my barn since then and I finally decided it was time to get her going again. It’s RAYCO 1642 with three cylinder 42 hp Duets air cooled engine.

I installed a fresh battery and it’s turning over fine but it’s not getting any fuel. I can get it to run for a second with a shot of ether in the air intake but it refuses to p/u fuel from the pump.

I have included pictures of the fuel filter, fuel pump and unknown wire that’s not connected.
I removed the output house from the fuel filter housing (pic 1) and turned over the engine about 60 seconds. Nothing is going to the injectors. Removed the rubber cover from what I assume is the the fuel solenoid (pic 2) and it was full of fuel. I can’t see any electrical connections on the solenoid?? It’s easy to get to and I’ve looked very close. There’s an orphaned wire (pic 3) and I can’t find anywhere to connect. It doesn’t appear to be factory based on the crimp. It’s short so there’s only a very limited area where it can be used.

The solution is probably in front of my face but no matter how hard I look I can’t figure it out.

Thanks in advance for any insight on my problem.!!!!

Attachments

• C1544296-BD25-4F1B-B626-B2839C792B43.jpeg
    C1544296-BD25-4F1B-B626-B2839C792B43.jpeg
    628.5 KB · Views: 0
  • D7B0FBC8-94F1-412F-8F89-6E84933634F9.jpeg
    D7B0FBC8-94F1-412F-8F89-6E84933634F9.jpeg
    856.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 85D223DD-538B-4C6D-BE7A-D123CF54E14F.jpeg
    85D223DD-538B-4C6D-BE7A-D123CF54E14F.jpeg
    680.2 KB · Views: 0
If you don't see puffs of white smoke coming out of the exhaust while cranking it, it isn't getting fuel. You more than likely need a new lift pump. I would also suggest a new timing belt as well. If the belt has become dry rotted and it breaks at the wrong moment, the engine can blow. I would buy the lift pump from a local Deutz dealer and get it running. I would then take it to the Deutz dealer and get the valves adjusted and a new timing belt put on it. The best case scenario is when the timing belt breaks, it will bend all of the push rods.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Afternoon Dave,

How do I find a local Deutz dealer..?? Already tried Morbark who now owns RAYCO and they don't sell engine parts. I assume this is the part number on the lift pump but I can't find a replacement online.

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    698.9 KB · Views: 0
Google Deutz USA and find the dealer locator and enter your zip code. The servicing dealers will come up. You will need the motor number on top of the engine before calling them. The picture is too close for me to tell and I know they have upgraded to better lift pumps over the years.

Hope this helps!

Dave
Global Equipment Exporters
770-420-6400

Don’t know what fuel system is on this engine, but have seen
one plunger in the injection pump stick when in the no fuel position. The rack will not move to the run position. Causing no fuel to the injector nozzles.

Back