Help. Sthil 025

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

osteoart

candidate for CAD
Reaction score
I'm out of ideas on what is causing my old 025 to badly leak bar oil when running, most of the oil drips out the bottom instead of lubing the chain. The orange plug below muffler is in place. The oil channel on saw is unobstructed. The oil holes on both sides of the bar are open and chain is visible through them. Could it be the mounting plate which looks pretty worn or perhaps the bar? I bought the saw new in 1999 and used it quite a lot. plate.JPGIMG_0807 (002).JPGIMG_0803 (002).JPG

Take the clutch off and look behind at the oiler at the bottom. I had one that had a tiny hole in the case what looked like the drum has worn a hole in it that the let oil leak out (possibly the bearing had went out and the loose drum wore the hole. I had to replace the case.

Take off the bar and chain, and start the saw and watch the flow.
If it is leaking out of the bottom, it could be the fitting and line on the bottom of the saw. It is hidden by the black wrap handlebar.

There is a small hole plugged with a set screw beside the muffler. If you loos the set screw, oil doesn't make it to the bar.
Brother in law's MS 310 wasn't oiling. The small screw was missing, leaking next to muffler. Good parts guy called it a grub screw. Problem solved,

Sent from my SM-T377P using Tapatalk

Take off the bar and chain, and start the saw and watch the flow.
If it is leaking out of the bottom, it could be the fitting and line on the bottom of the saw. It is hidden by the black wrap handlebar.
Is this a rubber hose with gromments? I have only seen pics of them on ytube. It is leaking out the bottom under the bar bolts. The chain isn't throwing hardly any oil like it used to when checked after topping off oil and running WOT with the tip of the chain close to a cardboard box. I'll take off the handlebar and check the fitting and install my spare bar just for good measure.

Many 025`s leak oil from the bar pad not sealing tight to the bar. Sometimes the stud shoulders become proud/higher than the plastic surrounding it, plastic shrinks or is worn/sluffed off . This allows oil to seep down between the bar and the pad. Check the bar pad and the steel collar like area around the bar studs to see if it totally flat.

Many 025`s leak oil from the bar pad not sealing tight to the bar. Sometimes the stud shoulders become proud/higher than the plastic surrounding it, plastic shrinks or is worn/sluffed off . This allows oil to seep down between the bar and the pad. Check the bar pad and the steel collar like area around the bar studs to see if it totally flat.
I think you have hit on the right trail. My bar pad is in really bad shape . I think you may be able to see in the pics I sent with the OP. Some of the areas on the inside of the plastic pad have first thinned out to about the thickness of couple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil then broken off. Hope my local dealer has it in stock. Thanks.

I think you have hit on the right trail. My bar pad is in really bad shape . I think you may be able to see in the pics I sent with the OP. Some of the areas on the inside of the plastic pad have first thinned out to about the thickness of couple layers of heavy duty aluminum foil then broken off. Hope my local dealer has it in stock. Thanks.
Kind of a common problem I see around here on that series of saws, I have successfully flattened some with just a file.

Do the studs come out of the cover pad to file them or do you dress them down with them in the cover pad?

Got it. Would you also dress down the plastic with emery cloth or such?
I only used a flat ,mill file on the plastic. Any sandpaper/abrasive cloth would need to be adhered to a flat surface, the intent is to make the bar pad perfectly flat, it may not end up that perfect but try your best.

After looking it over I decided to order all new parts. Some are supposed to be here this week and some not until Christmas. I think I will wait until all the parts arrive then tackle it so where ever the problem originates I'll have the replacement parts on hand. I have other saws that I can use until I get the 025 in order. The Echo's have been pampered too much anyway. Hmm, Christmas, chainsaws...Hmm. I may need to start a new thread about the right saw to do fulltime replacement backup duty for the 025 which resides in my UTV front rack. New saw time?

HELP Please. It's been awhile but revisiting this old thread. I am about ready to give up on my Stihl 025. After replacing the bar, bar plate and chain, it continues to not pick up the bar oil to the chain.
I have confirmed that the oil pump, oil line and filter, vent and cap are all working as they should. The grub screw is in place and the oil holes on the bar are open. This saw pumps plenty of oil to the outlet hole/slit of the saw body but then most of the oil just runs out the bottom without being picked up by the chain. Will no longer paint oil stripes on cardboard and bar gets hot even running out of the cut.
This was my first purchase of a new saw (1980) and I would like to cure this problem but I am out of ideas. Attached are photos of the saw and the new parts. Thanks.
IMG_0926.jpgIMG_0927.jpgIMG_0928.jpgIMG_0929.jpgIMG_0930.jpg

Back