Help with 372 x-torq bar and chain for farm!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seedcleaner

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi all, long time reader, new member.
Have owned this 372 x-torq for a handful of years and really like it. Pictured is its 28" .058 bar and chain. I have used multiple chain designs for fun around the farm.
Recently a 550xp MKII was purchased for my dad and family for Christmas. It came with a factory 18" bar and X-cut chain. After using this saw, I was very impressed with its starting, ease of use and handling, and more than anything, its chain. It cut so quick and smooth and stayed sharp for such a long time. It made me realize how poorly cutting the 372 has been lately.
I would like to maybe shorten my 372 bar and use a chain (probably semi-chisel) with it. I would really want to be able to purchase Husqvarna x-cut chain for whatever bar I go with. With its bar being a 28", and the 550 an 18", I would like something in between. 22" sounds ideal, but uncommon it seems.

Please advise a bar for the 372 and one that can utilize an available Husqvarna x-cut chain! Guessing it will need to be .050" and 20 or 24" in length. I could go either way on length. Prefer not to need to change drive sprocket.
THANK YOU!20220217_115721.jpg

If you look hard enough you should be able to find loops of X-CUT for the 28"bar you have H52 is 3/8 0.058.
Should be able to find a 0.058 D009 bar in 22" as well.
Granted- your local shop might look at you strange if they are set in the mould of 0.050 and 0.063 only- but the interweb should help you out.

I am struggling to find x-cut for a 372 in semi-chisel! Whatever came with the 550xp mk2 sure was the ticket for us here.

Why exactly are you set on husqvarna x cut chain??? Have you tried other's like oregon or stihl? I run a 24" ultralight bar on my 372xp xtorq which is a 2016 model and has been decked with a pop up piston and dualport muffler. 3/8ths 0.50 full skip/chisel round oregon chain. We run 0.50 on all our bigger saws except the 3120 which requires 404... 0.50 is lighter, and with a smaller bar will give you more chain speed. Chain speed is what you're looking for to cut faster.... unfortunately, .325 doesn't come in full skip configurations.... but you can change the sprocket and bar on the 550 to run it.... however it's heavier, thicker chain causing less chain speed....

I didn't see a legitimate full skip x cut chain from husqvarna. So, we're a large tree company, we buy spools of chain and break/spin our own....it saves a lot of money and headache... husqvarna chain is more expensive compared to oregon, even when buying a 100' spool... there's other brands even cheaper but they are complete garbage... oregon and stihl have been my favorite bang for your buck chains....

Hi all, long time reader, new member.
Have owned this 372 x-torq for a handful of years and really like it. Pictured is its 28" .058 bar and chain. I have used multiple chain designs for fun around the farm.
Recently a 550xp MKII was purchased for my dad and family for Christmas. It came with a factory 18" bar and X-cut chain. After using this saw, I was very impressed with its starting, ease of use and handling, and more than anything, its chain. It cut so quick and smooth and stayed sharp for such a long time. It made me realize how poorly cutting the 372 has been lately.
I would like to maybe shorten my 372 bar and use a chain (probably semi-chisel) with it. I would really want to be able to purchase Husqvarna x-cut chain for whatever bar I go with. With its bar being a 28", and the 550 an 18", I would like something in between. 22" sounds ideal, but uncommon it seems.

Please advise a bar for the 372 and one that can utilize an available Husqvarna x-cut chain! Guessing it will need to be .050" and 20 or 24" in length. I could go either way on length. Prefer not to need to change drive sprocket.
THANK YOU!View attachment 965774
Are you square filing/grinding your chains, they should have no problem keeping up with an x-cut chain.
If you want a shorter bar/chain the x-cut chain in 3/8 takes a normal D009 mount also referred to as a large mount, it's nothing special to run that chain.

You are going to struggle finding a D009 bar to fit your 372 that has the right sprocket to run .325 chain. I've run Oregon's 3/8" Versacut (which is a semi-chisel) and the .325 x-cut semi-chisel on stumps, railroad ties and other misc. dirty work and they both held up about the same.

Husqvarna C85 is a full chisel 3/8 chain, I have been using it on a 572, very good. I prefer it over the Oregon 73 lp.

Honestly I use 3/8 very sparingly once in a while mostly on medium/big (in Norway) sitka so I dont have the biggest experience but I bought the 85C last and I liked it.

Back