Help with a Ms 462-c newish saw won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaystihl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey all, I recently purchased a Ms 462c , The saw is brand new and has never been used but it is almost 3 years old. The guy I bought it from never used it. I got a good deal on it so I took a chance. When I first tried starting it in the choke position it was flooding really bad, to the point where gas oil mixture was coming out of the seam of the front muffler cover. I pulled the muffler and spark plug to let it air out, put everything back together and I can get it to start cold as long as I don't choke it. It will run long enough for me to start tapping the throttle and let it run at higher rpms. It will run at just about any RPM but idle. I tried doing the mtronic reset but unfortunately I cannot get the saw to start in the choke position to let it idle for 30 seconds like you are supposed to do for a reset. I did put a little bit of seafoam in the gas since my mixture was 40 to 1 and since doing that I am able to get it started. Don't know much about these mtronic saws so I'm at a loss of what to do now. Dealer told me that I probably need to change the carburetor being that it is almost 3 years old. Carb literally looks brand new but it is 3 years old and not sure if the dealer put gas in it to start it when the previous owner bought it but the inside of the gas tank was spotless. Just wondering if there is anything else I can do before changing the carburetor?

You might try dumping the gas and running a 50:1 mix with non-ethanol gas and a quality mix oil. 40:1 and 40:1 with seafoam could simply be too lean...

I know folks here will chime in about this, but I've been using the Stihl synthetic mix oil and it has worked flawlessly in all my Stihl equipment: 5 chainsaws, pole saw, back pack blower, hedge clipper, FS130 trimmer..., and my family's equipment (more chainsaws, trimmers, blowers).

Hey all, I recently purchased a Ms 462c , The saw is brand new and has never been used but it is almost 3 years old. The guy I bought it from never used it. I got a good deal on it so I took a chance. When I first tried starting it in the choke position it was flooding really bad, to the point where gas oil mixture was coming out of the seam of the front muffler cover. I pulled the muffler and spark plug to let it air out, put everything back together and I can get it to start cold as long as I don't choke it. It will run long enough for me to start tappindmbg the throttle and let it run at higher rpms. It will run at just about any RPM but idle. I tried doing the mtronic reset but unfortunately I cannot get the saw to start in the choke position to let it idle for 30 seconds like you are supposed to do for a reset. I did put a little bit of seafoam in the gas since my mixture was 40 to 1 and since doing that I am able to get it started. Don't know much about these mtronic saws so I'm at a loss of what to do now. Dealer told me that I probably need to change the carburetor being that it is almost 3 years old. Carb literally looks brand new but it is 3 years old and not sure if the dealer put gas in it to start it when the previous owner bought it but the inside of the gas tank was spotless. Just wondering if there is anything else I can do before changing the carburetor?
@dmb2613

Hey all, I recently purchased a Ms 462c , The saw is brand new and has never been used but it is almost 3 years old. The guy I bought it from never used it. I got a good deal on it so I took a chance. When I first tried starting it in the choke position it was flooding really bad, to the point where gas oil mixture was coming out of the seam of the front muffler cover. I pulled the muffler and spark plug to let it air out, put everything back together and I can get it to start cold as long as I don't choke it. It will run long enough for me to start tapping the throttle and let it run at higher rpms. It will run at just about any RPM but idle. I tried doing the mtronic reset but unfortunately I cannot get the saw to start in the choke position to let it idle for 30 seconds like you are supposed to do for a reset. I did put a little bit of seafoam in the gas since my mixture was 40 to 1 and since doing that I am able to get it started. Don't know much about these mtronic saws so I'm at a loss of what to do now. Dealer told me that I probably need to change the carburetor being that it is almost 3 years old. Carb literally looks brand new but it is 3 years old and not sure if the dealer put gas in it to start it when the previous owner bought it but the inside of the gas tank was spotless. Just wondering if there is anything else I can do before changing the carburetor?
Did you dump the old gas and put in fresh (from the pump)? SeaFoam is useless IMHO.

My guess is the prior owner used pump gas E10 / E15 and there is now some type of deposits or corrosion in the carburetor.

Start off with 50:1 for now as that is what the fuel mappings for the autotunes / m-tronics are defaulted to when they finally do reset. Preferably use echo red armor oil for its detergents. Also add in some chevron techron concentrate plus as it contains P.E.A. I like to do a triple dose rate on engines with issues.

Try starting and get it running some how, and run at least a full tank thru it at whatever throttle positions it will tolerate, and if possible cutting wood. The mere fact you are flushing fresh fuel oil mix thru it, may clean whatever varnish / corrosion that is present. Using an additive with PEA in it is very critical as it is the most powerful at removing deposits without using a nasty solvent that could do more harm than good. Also by getting the engine fully up to temp may allow it to idle enough for it to reset.

If that does not work, try taking the entire carburetor apart and clean it. You have nothing to loose but your time. You may end up replacing it anyways. In your mind break it down this way......you have a mechanical carburetor with electronics bolted to it. In most cases it is a mechanical problem that is fuel related.

ETA: Brand new saw- never fueled? Or new, "never in wood"?

If it WAS fueled:
The easiest thing to do is fully drain the existing fuel, then run a gallon of Stihl, Echo, or Aspen, canned 2 stroke fuel, through it. I wouldn't be surprised if the sitting three years caused some fuel related carb issues.

Both my 462s run fine on 40:1 mix (Saber).

With any M-Tronic saw, if it runs low/out of fuel and the operator keeps trying to use it, the computer will make it very rich to protect the saw from burning up. (It thinks there is an air leak). Often, you will need to put is in "run" (not start) and hold the throttle to start it. It will also not idle.

It usually takes about 6 tanks of fuel to correct itself, no reset is required. The saw is often just fine after that.

1 - 40:1 or 50:1 doesn't matter to m-tronic.

2 - 462s are version 3 m-tronic, there's more to a reset than 30 seconds of idle time.

3 - seafoam is a subject of deabte, I think it's a better cleaner than it is a stabilizer. But nonetheless it has no bearing on your issue.

4 - for whatever reason..sometimes you get a bad solenoid, yes I've seen it on new saws.

5 - I watch m-tronic saws get run out of gas at least 5x a week..it has no bearing on how they run after doing so.

6 - I'm not saying I know EXACTLY what your problem is..but I've seen many m-tronic saws have it and a solenoid took care of it.

7- good luck.

The green solenoid works in 462s and I paid 26 bucks for one.

But every one I've seen has come from the factory with a white solenoid, from my understanding the green one is a universal fix for all m-tronic saws.
'I haven't seen any of them around. Do they even make them anymore?

Back