Help with a Ms 462-c newish saw won't idle

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep-immediately blame the computer controlled part. It sat for three years possibly with fuel in the carburetor. Worst possible thing that can happen to any 2 cycle carburetor. Take off the pump side of the carburetor. Look for ANY corrosion. If found, get a new carburetor from Stihl. Disassemble and check diaphragms and inlet needle. Same thing as to corrosion. Look for a stiff metering diaphragm.
If this all passes, THEN try a solenoid. Remember to check fuel, hose and filter. If this does not do it, time to diagnose the rest of the saw.

Mtronic or not, it is just a carburetor.

Well, let us know what it turns out to be.

If it is working properly it should sit there in the triangle position and run like it is going to choke out but not.
If it will not sit and run in the triangle position it is likely the carb, and under that category it is likely the solenoid.

But, it can even be the ignition module. Very unlikely.

Wow thanks for all the replies! Sorry I'm late to the party, I never saw a notification that there was a response to this thread so just now checking. So could just be a coincidence but I couldn't even get the saw to start and run longer than a couple seconds before i added the seafoam. Yesterday I got it to start and ran it pretty hard for a while, probably 1 1/2 tanks in all different rpms. After doing this I finally got this sucker to idle. I would let it idle for a little bit and then open it up for a bit, kept doing this probably 10 times. Sometimes it would die at idle but it would start right back up. So today I got it out of the truck tried to start it with out choking it like I have been, pulled 3 times and no dice so decided to choke it and it fired right up AND IDLED! So basically the more fuel I ran through it , slowly but surely the saw got better every time. Dropped a big pine and bucked it up today and the saw was running good. After that I was able to start and idle in the choked position and was able to do the reset. Saw runs awesome!! Just to be clear there was no gas in the saw when I bought it and the tank was spotless, previous owner told me he never put gas in it and it looked that way but who knows. Hopefully she stays running good. Thanks again for all the input

Back