Help with carb tuning Stihl 064

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KarlD

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Evening guys
I still don’t have a clue about setting a carb right…how does this sound to you. I only got the saw going to make a little video for you to comment on and I hit a buried bit of metal at the bottom of the first cut :-(
The wood is Holm oak Quercus ilex so it’s particularly hard and dense, and the saw is over barred, and I’m leaning on it a bit….but it doesn’t seem to have the power I was remembering. Any thoughts on lean or rich etc.
Cheers
Karl

Thank you gents…I’ll do as you suggest….1/16 ish turn out on the H if I interpret you correctly and go from there

I was going to do more cuts and idling for the vid but then I hit the bastard metal

I have also found that carbs with plastic limiters sometimes make it impossible to tune the carb correctly. Rather frustrating to say the least.
This carb has no limiters that I’m aware of. My problem is lack of understanding…but with the video above and guidance from fellow members I’ll get there

I have also found that carbs with plastic limiters sometimes make it impossible to tune the carb correctly. Rather frustrating to say the least.
First thing to do when buying a new saw is to remove the limiter caps. Second is to remove the spark arrestor and while at it gut the muffler

First thing to do when buying a new saw is to remove the limiter caps. Second is to remove the spark arrestor and while at it gut the muffler
Careful with the spark arrestor advice there. That might be a reasonable performance enhancer in a cool, wet environment but it's absolutely irresponsible and illegal in many parts of the world.

Careful with the spark arrestor advice there. That might be a reasonable performance enhancer in a cool, wet environment but it's absolutely irresponsible and illegal in many parts of the world.
Second this. It’s all fun until you start a fire. Unless you are in Antartica in the snow, best leave it on.

Yes, fair enough, private property here and firewood only so no need to cut in drought or real dry conditions

Latest posts

Back