Help with Dante key valve on outdoor fire pit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naptown

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a natural gas outdoor firepit that has a Dante key valve that is difficult to operate. It's worked as it should for 8 or 9 years. I removed some lava rock from the pit and exposed the valve. It looks rusty to me but I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I removed the flange from the outside wall by unscrewing that part from the valve. The area of the valve by the key was full of mud/rust. Without the flange, I was able to operate the valve with my usual 12” key. I cleaned it up and reinstalled the flange. The key valve was very difficult to operate again.

I did notice the flange wasn’t 100% lined up with the threads on the Dante valve. I believe I’m able to properly align the flange because it threads onto the valve ok. I’m just not sure why it becomes difficult to turn the key when the flange is installed. Not sure if there was packing that could be repacked or something.

I really don’t want to have to tear all of this out if I don't have to. My suspicion tells me the valve needs to be replaced and it's gonna be a decent amount of work for me. Please help if there might be an easier fix!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
I have a natural gas outdoor firepit that has a Dante key valve that is difficult to operate. It's worked as it should for 8 or 9 years. I removed some lava rock from the pit and exposed the valve. It looks rusty to me but I'm not sure if this is normal or not. I removed the flange from the outside wall by unscrewing that part from the valve. The area of the valve by the key was full of mud/rust. Without the flange, I was able to operate the valve with my usual 12” key. I cleaned it up and reinstalled the flange. The key valve was very difficult to operate again.

I did notice the flange wasn’t 100% lined up with the threads on the Dante valve. I believe I’m able to properly align the flange because it threads onto the valve ok. I’m just not sure why it becomes difficult to turn the key when the flange is installed. Not sure if there was packing that could be repacked or something.

I really don’t want to have to tear all of this out if I don't have to. My suspicion tells me the valve needs to be replaced and it's gonna be a decent amount of work for me. Please help if there might be an easier fix!
Nice fire pit!
Can you get someone from your gas company to come out and look at it?
Try posting this in the Off Topic forum, lot's more helpful folk hang out there,

Well, maybe I can teach you tree guys something here. JK, but here’s what I did…

I took a sawzaw and cut the union between the supply line and the valve. I replaced the Dante valve and all of the 1/2” piping with black pipe. I used a high heat joint sealer compound. I added a $10 log lighter and tested my connections. Added lava rock back in and a 24” grate. Happy to report we are now burning trees. I watched Sunday night football out at the firepit last night and enjoyed the inaugural burn. 👍

Attachments

• 6E0A25FA-DA76-4298-B7CB-54EDECE22224.jpeg
    6E0A25FA-DA76-4298-B7CB-54EDECE22224.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 6089D71B-D02D-4EA0-99D8-15245F967FD3.jpeg
    6089D71B-D02D-4EA0-99D8-15245F967FD3.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 5
  • B516E7B5-36E7-4289-926B-2CABAF066AA8.jpeg
    B516E7B5-36E7-4289-926B-2CABAF066AA8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 5
Well, maybe I can teach you tree guys something here. JK, but here’s what I did…

I took a sawzaw and cut the union between the supply line and the valve. I replaced the Dante valve and all of the 1/2” piping with black pipe. I used a high heat joint sealer compound. I added a $10 log lighter and tested my connections. Added lava rock back in and a 24” grate. Happy to report we are now burning trees. I watched Sunday night football out at the firepit last night and enjoyed the inaugural burn. 👍
Of course! A sawsall! 1633390892551.gif
Definitely my favorite. (it's a long story. ) :)

Beautiful landscaping, btw.

It looked pretty corroded. Probably best to replace that. But I would have tried some penetrating oil first. Some good stuff like the seafoam product. I sometimes chase wd40 with that seafoam stuff. It takes time, but it frees lots of seized things.

good to see you're all fixed up. You can do it! Lol.

Back