Help with echo 670

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just picked up this non-running soft today. I think it’s sat unused in a barn for many many years. I’d like to try and get it running, I think it might be a fairly low hour song. There’s a plastic plate that holds the air filter. I can’t figure out how that plate comes off to get to the carburetor? Also it seems like there’s a little corrosion under the paint on the bottom of the saw. Any idea what that might be? Not sure if I’m posting this in the right place

Attachments

• E89F07EA-AC6C-40CF-9FB0-EE329404CCFC.jpeg
    E89F07EA-AC6C-40CF-9FB0-EE329404CCFC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 4F0B78AF-1794-4544-B66C-106CD7CDDCB4.jpeg
    4F0B78AF-1794-4544-B66C-106CD7CDDCB4.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
It looks like a press fit sleeve holding the plastic filter plate down?

If you gently knock off the corrosion, can you see what material is under it? Is it metal or plastic or....?

It looks like a press fit sleeve holding the plastic filter plate down?

If you gently knock off the corrosion, can you see what material is under it? Is it metal or plastic or....?
Bottom of those saws are metal. The whole chassis is metal. Probably from being stored on concrete or something. Hopefully just cosmetic. Looks like galactic action.

The nice thing about homeowner type saws, they don't get the "white death" since the body of the saw is plastic..
True. On several pro saws and one of my favorite, longest lasting ones is a Echo cs400, plastic. It sat on concrete for nearly 3 years and not a blemish. That was before I knew better.

And who knows if galvanic is even the right word? I’ve just heard that term used for the reaction that is caused when magnesium or aluminum? were in constant contact with certain cements.

Also having a little difficulty with the recoil. It’s a little sticky and won’t retract sometimes. Can’t figure out how to get the plastic cover off that sits over the spring. I squirted a little lubricant and it helped some but I think I need to either clean or replace the spring. I removed the center screw but the round plastic disc seems like it’s really on there. Any suggestions. I would attach a pic but I’m in a very comfortable recliner just now

The 670 has a center spring arrangement that index's from two posts around the outside edge. Loosen that center screw and it all lifts out. If your careful, you can lift the spring and the holder out together w/o having the spring un wind. There is also a piece of thin plastic that acts as a cover to keep debris from getting to the spring. Once you have cleaned it all out, you put everything back in the way it came out. Set the spring tension, so that the pull handle doesnt hang on the outside, by turning that outside piece of plastic that has the two posts. As an alternative, look closely at the rope drum and notice that it has a small notch for you to tension the pull rope that way as well.

Here is a link to the drawings. For some reason should it not work, just navigate over to Echo USA. Support > cs-670 > Guides and Manuals > cs-670 > PDF download. Their site has been under construction for at least 6 months and its quirky. You must include the 'cs-' in front of the 670 or any search results are; NLA.

https://www.echo-usa.com/technical-documentation?keyword=cs-670

Latest posts

Back