Help With Wood ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogsout

Can't Fix Stupid!!
Reaction score
Been cutting firewood for about 15 years now and can't say as though I have run across one of these trees that I know of. I am in North Central Iowa and this tree is in with Oak and Ash trees that were log on a farmer's timber. I found this smaller tree to take a picture of with a branch bent back to show you the leaves. Seems to be good hard wood and splits well. Any help would be appreciated. 20220509_173903.jpg

If you want to identify trees or plants and can take a picture of the leaves try this app. PictureThis. I took a picture of the leaves from the above post and here is what it came up with. It's a great app!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220518-080236_PictureThis.jpg
    Screenshot_20220518-080236_PictureThis.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 0
The PictureThis app is amazing. It doesn't get it right 100% of the time, but it's right almost all the time. It's only misidentified 1 plant over the 50 or so I've used it for (it thought a Climbing Hempvine was a Mile-A-Minute, which is a fair misidentification).

I've even took a picture at the bottom of a tree's canopy, maybe 20 feet below the first of the leaves, and it has identified it correctly. Quite amazing, if you ask me.

The PictureThis app is amazing. It doesn't get it right 100% of the time, but it's right almost all the time. It's only misidentified 1 plant over the 50 or so I've used it for (it thought a Climbing Hempvine was a Mile-A-Minute, which is a fair misidentification).

I've even took a picture at the bottom of a tree's canopy, maybe 20 feet below the first of the leaves, and it has identified it correctly. Quite amazing, if you ask me.
I just looked at that profile pic you got and that’s a thuster that 462 sitting on is that a pine stump?

PictureThis - yeah wow. You can just snap a pic of a dead leaf on the ground and no tree and it will correctly ID. It is also very good at more complicated scenes with many species in the same view. For the species I already knew it has been right 100%, including shots of trees at a distance. Highly recommended.

Been cutting firewood for about 15 years now and can't say as though I have run across one of these trees that I know of. I am in North Central Iowa and this tree is in with Oak and Ash trees that were log on a farmer's timber. I found this smaller tree to take a picture of with a branch bent back to show you the leaves. Seems to be good hard wood and splits well. Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 987183
Looks like Cherry

I concur with all, around my part of Iowa we call it choke cherry but good wood, dont leave it on the ground or it rots fast, and a year or to in the wood shed is it, bugs will get it and turn it to dust

I found 2 big cherry burls the other day logging and threw them on the saw mill what y’all think

Attachments

• D63CAD23-E6CE-4468-BDE7-C7DA5D57E61A.jpeg
    D63CAD23-E6CE-4468-BDE7-C7DA5D57E61A.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
Been cutting firewood for about 15 years now and can't say as though I have run across one of these trees that I know of. I am in North Central Iowa and this tree is in with Oak and Ash trees that were log on a farmer's timber. I found this smaller tree to take a picture of with a branch bent back to show you the leaves. Seems to be good hard wood and splits well. Any help would be appreciated. View attachment 987183Black Cherry

Back