Hi All, First Timer, First Pro Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of the to OP, a belated welcome, and WOW! way to jump int he deep end!

Wouldn't .063 oil better be it Pro or regular-joe? The wider grove would carry more bar oil down the length of the bar. On Stihl chain there is no benifit in a smaller kerf from .50 (there is a thread on that - somewhere in here)

When you find a deal you find a deal. As for for "firewood" sized trees... The last tree I bucked (it was already down from a storm was over 24" in dia as I had to cut from two sides because I didn't have my 36" bar at the time. I only cut dead wood, and take it what ever size it comes. Right now on my property I have one 20" class oak on the ground, and about 5 more standing dead (Oak/other hardwoods). All are 20"+ trees, so I never know what my firewood sized trees will be.

dw

Can't argue with a good deal. As for bar length, its interesting to see the regional differences. Up here most loggers I know don't go over 20" and alot will tell you 16" is just fine. Plunge cut that sucker! Most of the wood I cut is 16-20" dbh hardwood and I use my 16" bar. The 20" is nice for felling though.
Sorry for the sidebar. "We now return to your regularly scheduled thread"

PS. I am starting to want a ported 361 or a 440. :)

Last edited:
its interesting to see the regional differences. Up here most loggers I know don't go over 20" and alot will tell you 16" is just fine....

It is a personal thing to me, I just always wanted to be able to cut through w. out needing to go to the other side. CAD may have a lot to do with it as well...

dw

You're backwards on the emissions. One rich running old-school (non-strato) chainsaw would have more harmful emissions than a handful of long-haul trucks.

Emissions isn't just pounds of CO2.

I design coal power plants and associated emissions control equipment. I have not looked anything up in the making of this post. I might be off by a little, but not orders of magnitude.

I have worked at a couple different power plants during scheduled shutdowns recently( conesville, cardinal). They are very cool places to work. I bet you enjoy your job.

3/8 vs .404 on a 660

Not sure I would agree that .404 is the chain to use on a 660. While I do not have a 660, I do have a proted 066. I have used 3/8 chain and an 8 pin rim since I took the saw, new, out of the shop. I use a 24 and a 36 inch bar and have used STIHL RS and Oregon LGX chain. I cut oak for the most part and have no issues getting through the stems of trees. I have an 880 that I do use .404 - probably because I have a 47 inch bar for it. So, I have .404 chain for the 24 inch bar for it also.

You asked about blocking. Cutting rounds into pieces you can pick up/ move/ get into the splitter. Basically, how to cut up a 300lb round to be able to do something with it.

Welcome to AS.

Hal

Back