High altitude cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didn’t know that. My Stihl dealer said the 362 wrap wouldn’t fit it and that they didn’t currently make one for the 400. Good info.
Your dealer is mistaken. I have a 400 and I put the 362C wrap kit on it, fits perfectly. Kinda pricey, around $250, but that includes a new clutch cover, which you really don’t have to have.

These threads make me think my 034 super, basically an 036, isn't doing as well as I'd like. I run an 18" bar with full comp chisel, and wouldn't be in any hurry to put a larger bar on it. Definitely not 28". That said, I don't use a gauge when hand filing, and it's very possible my rakers are set more aggressively than they should be.

Might be time to try that, and also a compression test.

These threads make me think my 034 super, basically an 036, isn't doing as well as I'd like. I run an 18" bar with full comp chisel, and wouldn't be in any hurry to put a larger bar on it. Definitely not 28". That said, I don't use a gauge when hand filing, and it's very possible my rakers are set more aggressively than they should be.

Might be time to try that, and also a compression test.
My first saw was a 029. My first pro saw was a 036. Honestly that saw never impressed me performance wise in hardwood with a 20" bar. It's sort of like the 260 in that it lacks torque and is pretty gutless. I then bought a 440, which I was much more happy with.

My first saw was a 029. My first pro saw was a 036. Honestly that saw never impressed me performance wise in hardwood with a 20" bar. It's sort of like the 260 in that it lacks torque and is pretty gutless. I then bought a 440, which I was much more happy with.
I have a couple of 036 saws here. You are right they were not that impressive until I opened up the muffler real good on them. It made a huge difference.

Thank you both. Running the factory muffler on mine, that might be the issue. Will need to find something that maintain the spark arrestor, have had my truck checked for one while in the woods before and I'm sure they'd have checked my saw too, had I been using one.

Thank you both. Running the factory muffler on mine, that might be the issue. Will need to find something that maintain the spark arrestor, have had my truck checked for one while in the woods before and I'm sure they'd have checked my saw too, had I been using one.
It's east to just open up the stock outlet on the 034. Provided it has the same muffler as the 036.

I live at 9400’. Autotune needs to be recalibrated to operate acceptably up here and I can’t say it’s impressive even then. Mtronics seem to run better up here, but again, not as well as they do at lower elevations. Both have hot start issues. Even the latest versions.

My go-to saw is a 42mm 346xp. It’s ported and has a HDA 198 carb on it (meant for a 357 or 359). The squish is 0.022”. It doesn’t make crazy compression. It wears a 20” .325 bar. I have timed cuts against ported 550mk2 (same bar), ported 034 Super (20” 3/8), ported 261 v2 (20” .325). It beats them all in 18” wood. Only the 034 will keep up with it in larger wood.

If I was cutting regularly above 10000’, I would seriously consider a 70cc saw. 372 (low top), 462, 500i, 7900.
372 is by far the cheapest and easiest to maintain.

I live at 9400’. Autotune needs to be recalibrated to operate acceptably up here and I can’t say it’s impressive even then. Mtronics seem to run better up here, but again, not as well as they do at lower elevations. Both have hot start issues. Even the latest versions.

My go-to saw is a 42mm 346xp. It’s ported and has a HDA 198 carb on it (meant for a 357 or 359). The squish is 0.022”. It doesn’t make crazy compression. It wears a 20” .325 bar. I have timed cuts against ported 550mk2 (same bar), ported 034 Super (20” 3/8), ported 261 v2 (20” .325). It beats them all in 18” wood. Only the 034 will keep up with it in larger wood.

If I was cutting regularly above 10000’, I would seriously consider a 70cc saw. 372 (low top), 462, 500i, 7900.
372 is by far the cheapest and easiest to maintain.
Thanks for the info. I lived up by Allenspark and spent time around Ward a couple years back. The dirt bike trails up there were alot of fun. I have been researching the 462 and the 500i. I have made my mind up for a bigger saw for my forest cutting. Just not yet on the m-Tronic vs standard older set up. I am interested to see how the 500i would do at elevations above 9k.

Thanks for the info. I lived up by Allenspark and spent time around Ward a couple years back. The dirt bike trails up there were alot of fun. I have been researching the 462 and the 500i. I have made my mind up for a bigger saw for my forest cutting. Just not yet on the m-Tronic vs standard older set up. I am interested to see how the 500i would do at elevations above 9k.
Maybe we could meet up this spring and you can try a 500i , 400cm, 562xp and a 572xp all at the same time! I'll probably have the Makita 7900 out too! Then I'll get you a great deal on whatever you want!

Maybe we could meet up this spring and you can try a 500i , 400cm, 562xp and a 572xp all at the same time! I'll probably have the Makita 7900 out too! Then I'll get you a great deal on whatever you want!
Absolutely! I am down with that idea. It will be my first brand new saw as well. Right now my rancher 450 I got on trade has limitations lmao.

Back