High altitude cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictures! Thanks for posting about your 500i. Do you have any other reviews on the 500i for forestry use?

No other reviews. I can say that I've mostly used the 500i with a 36 Lite bar / 33RSF chain. December gave it a good work out bucking out large trees due to the Caldor fire burn scar before the snow fell. Did everything I needed it to do safely.

Bought the 36" lite bar thinking I might get occasional usage, but have used it 90 percent more than the 28" lite bar

Glad I spent the money and enjoying my retirement with a assortment of tools. Life is short, don't defer..buy saws and enjoy!

Thanks for the info. I lived up by Allenspark and spent time around Ward a couple years back. The dirt bike trails up there were alot of fun. I have been researching the 462 and the 500i. I have made my mind up for a bigger saw for my forest cutting. Just not yet on the m-Tronic vs standard older set up. I am interested to see how the
I can't say for certain, but have heard the Mtronic saws run great at high elevation, but that the 500i struggles. Second hand info.

I can't say for certain, but have heard the Mtronic saws run great at high elevation, but that the 500i struggles. Second hand info
Keep in mind that even if the Mtronic or autotune perfectly tunes the saw, you'll never get sea level power out of them. Subtract as much as 20% loss per 5000ft.

Hey guys, so I was driving up through Buena Vista to deliver a puppy in Leadville and decided to stop on by the husqvarna dealer in Buena Vista. I was going to get a chain for my saw but he(the owner) didn't have one and we started talking and he wanted to show me his 572 he cuts with everyday. I haven't handled one and it is in the lineup of saws I could go for this spring. He was a one sided dealer from the way he bashed all new m tronic Stihl saws. Maybe all dealers are like that.. So, at least I can handle one is what I was thinking. He had a 16" bar with a skip tooth chain and warmed it up for me. It was heavily used by the look and he even had some 16-18" cottonwood type wood. I can tell you it was wired holding such a big saw with such a small bar. It felt good in my hands, a little heavy but good. It cut super smooth through the cut not loosing rpms but just chewing through it at a good steady pace. I haven't handled a 70cc saw before I don't think and I wasn't overly impressed. It felt like t had lots of grunt and it seemed like he had it tuned good by my ear at least. I'm curious how that saw would do with a 20" and a full chisel? It was nice of him to let me have a cut with it though and helps me along on my decision making some. At the same time I'm left with some unanswered questions on the feel of the saw. Any thoughts guys?

Hey guys, so I was driving up through Buena Vista to deliver a puppy in Leadville and decided to stop on by the husqvarna dealer in Buena Vista. I was going to get a chain for my saw but he(the owner) didn't have one and we started talking and he wanted to show me his 572 he cuts with everyday. I haven't handled one and it is in the lineup of saws I could go for this spring. He was a one sided dealer from the way he bashed all new m tronic Stihl saws. Maybe all dealers are like that.. So, at least I can handle one is what I was thinking. He had a 16" bar with a skip tooth chain and warmed it up for me. It was heavily used by the look and he even had some 16-18" cottonwood type wood. I can tell you it was wired holding such a big saw with such a small bar. It felt good in my hands, a little heavy but good. It cut super smooth through the cut not loosing rpms but just chewing through it at a good steady pace. I haven't handled a 70cc saw before I don't think and I wasn't overly impressed. It felt like t had lots of grunt and it seemed like he had it tuned good by my ear at least. I'm curious how that saw would do with a 20" and a full chisel? It was nice of him to let me have a cut with it though and helps me along on my decision making some. At the same time I'm left with some unanswered questions on the feel of the saw. Any thoughts guys?
Skip chain on a 16 bar isn't doing the saw any favors. And that particular saw has Husky's version of Mtronic called Autotune, so there is no tuning involved.

At 16” the skip just made it slower. 572 should pull full comp chain up to 28”.

572 wouldn’t be my first choice. It’s heavy and computerized. 462 or 500i will deliver similar power at less weight but your going to pay. 372 low top will be lighter, comparable strength and cheaper. Plus it’s simpler to work on. I think you can get one brand new imported. Buying used saws is another can of worms.

Skip chain on a 16 bar isn't doing the saw any favors. And that particular saw has Husky's version of Mtronic called Autotune, so there is no tuning involved.
I did know it had autotune going in. Whatever saw I get I would like to run around a 25" I think and have my 361, once I go through it with the 20" and 034 with the 18". Just something I was contemplating.

At 16” the skip just made it slower. 572 should pull full comp chain up to 28”.

572 wouldn’t be my first choice. It’s heavy and computerized. 462 or 500i will deliver similar power at less weight but your going to pay. 372 low top will be lighter, comparable strength and cheaper. Plus it’s simpler to work on. I think you can get one brand new imported. Buying used saws is another can of worms.
Your worried about electronics, then you mention the most electronic heavy saw made😉?

Your worried about electronics, then you mention the most electronic heavy saw made😉?
I'm unsure about the electronics but the power to weight in the newer saws is so much better and I don't see alot of used saws to pick from in my area. I am also itching for a new saw since I have never had one. So I figured I would choose one of the newer saws once I figure out which is better suited for myself and the cutting I do.

Latest posts

Back