High altitude cutting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodsman_26

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm in SW Colorado and cut in the mountains at carrying elevations(8500-11,000ft) and bring my logs back to 7800ft to cut them down or whatever I'm doing with them. I have been using a Stihl 034 for over a decade that I bough used for $250 and have had a Stihl ms361 for about 5 years I got used. My frame just broke on my 034 near the rear handle a d stress cracks in seam of the tank. So, I am parking it until I can get another frame for it. My ms361 started having issues where it would sometimes start and sometimes it wouldn't. I checked the basics with the plug and plug wire but never further. It left me stranded a couple times out in the forest so I had to park it until I could afford to work on it. So I was at a stand still the past few days without being able to cut my.own firewood or any for sale. Since we have a farm here I found someone willing to trade me rancher 450 for a farm animal that was bough last year and only had 2 cords run through it by some homeowner. My plan is to run this until I can afford a brand new pro saw of the husky line by May or June since I have been with Stihl my whole life and so has my dad and I have had some bad luck with Stihl saws. I am wandering with all my elevation gain and drop in one day, is the autotune the way to go for my cutting. Keep in mind I'm cutting beetle kill spruce and pine trees under 32" and cutting the trees down to 10-12 ft logs. I have been running my saws for years and lately it has become a chore in the winter and elevation changes. Thanks for any help.

I think if you tune it @ 7800 ' elevation, you should be just fine, It will run richer the higher you go. I took my ATV out to Colorado to use it during our Elk Hunt. I live at 780' elevation and the base camp was at 9,000. We rode to 10,200 and back to 9,800 to get to where we were hunting. Now the ATV is a 4 stroke, but it is an older one and has a carb. I had to drop it into lower gear to keep the RPM's up once I approached 10,000' elevation. My cousin, who lives at 5,100' elevation had his tuned at that elevation and had no issues at all.

I did have a high altitude carb kit for mine, but didn't have time to install it before I left for the trip. Next time it'll get installed, if not here, out there at a higher elevation. (I'll leave a day earlier.)

I might have not clarified what I was meaning. What husky saws would you guys back for my type of cutting. I have been looking at the 562 xp and 572 xp. I also plan to use the Alaskan sawmill some this year until I get my large sawmill.

Auto Tune or Mtronic would be a good thing when dealing with altitude. Provided they have enough room for adjustment. I'm not sure they do.
I run my saws at 9k plus elevation here in Montana, but they are not Mtronic. My 361 does need a decent adjustment when going from 3000ft to 9000ft.

I think if you tune it @ 7800 ' elevation, you should be just fine, It will run richer the higher you go. I took my ATV out to Colorado to use it during our Elk Hunt. I live at 780' elevation and the base camp was at 9,000. We rode to 10,200 and back to 9,800 to get to where we were hunting. Now the ATV is a 4 stroke, but it is an older one and has a carb. I had to drop it into lower gear to keep the RPM's up once I approached 10,000' elevation. My cousin, who lives at 5,100' elevation had his tuned at that elevation and had no issues at all.

I did have a high altitude carb kit for mine, but didn't have time to install it before I left for the trip. Next time it'll get installed, if not here, out there at a higher elevation. (I'll leave a day earlier.)
4 cycles are much less fussy when it comes to high elevation. My 4 stroke generator runs perfect at high elevation with no adjustment.

My plan is to fix the ms362 and keep it as well as my 034. All I have ever had is old bear up saws which is fine. I have learned to work on them some and haven't had to worry about an old beat up saw. Since my cutting load is up at 50-60 cords and I don't mind felling larger diameter trees (bigger than 20") on the regular, I was researching new saws and wanted to go the husky route. At times I have found the ms361 to be underpowered with a 20" bar and full chisel. I'm wondering if I should look into more power for felling and just fix one of my old saws for bucking. I haven't mentioned that I previously bought a brand new Stihl 391 and was so disappointed I returned it. It was no stronger than my ms361 in the forest or at '7800. Not to mention it was a bear to start and I couldnt keep it running for the hole first tank. So I'm pretty fed up with Stihl as of now. Looking for advice and your own situations.

Auto Tune or Mtronic would be a good thing when dealing with altitude. Provided they have enough room for adjustment. I'm not sure they do.
I run my saws at 9k plus elevation here in Montana, but they are not Mtronic. My 361 does need a decent adjustment when going from 3000ft to 9000ft

My plan is to fix the ms362 and keep it as well as my 034. All I have ever had is old bear up saws which is fine. I have learned to work on them some and haven't had to worry about an old beat up saw. Since my cutting load is up at 50-60 cords and I don't mind felling larger diameter trees (bigger than 20") on the regular, I was researching new saws and wanted to go the husky route. At times I have found the ms361 to be underpowered with a 20" bar and full chisel. I'm wondering if I should look into more power for felling and just fix one of my old saws for bucking. I haven't mentioned that I previously bought a brand new Stihl 391 and was so disappointed I returned it. It was no stronger than my ms361 in the forest or at '7800. Not to mention it was a bear to start and I couldnt keep it running for the hole first tank. So I'm pretty fed up with Stihl as of now. Looking for advice and your own situations.
The 361 will smoke through our western softwoods in the 20" range very easily. However the 361 muffler is the most choked up muffler ever put on a chain saw. Gut it and it will flat out scream. Stock they are not very impressive.

When my ms361 was running I would have it tuned for the property down low and everyday I went to the forest up over 10kft I would be tuning it first thing when I arrived and again back at the low elevation property. I don't mind tuning as long as I have a good solid saw that doesn't act up All the time. I have a feeling I probably need to compression check the saw and replace coil to eliminate that. I bought the saw from a repair guy up in Boulder near the college and he did a top end on it for me and it did run good for the last 4 years but the last year on and off problems resulting in the saw not wanting to run here and there. It was fairly beat up and needed clutch springs, carb boot and the plastics show heavy heavy use. I took it to my dad's place a couple years ago down in Texas at 500ft above sea level and cut up 7 cords of red oak ("24 +) and it ran great with just some tuning to more rich.

The 361 will smoke through our western softwoods in the 20" range very easily. However the 361 muffler is the most choked up muffler ever put on a chain saw. Gut it and it will flat out scream. Stock they are not very impressive.
I have been contemplating that muffler mod. I guess now I will go through the saw this spring when I can afford to do so. Just like the 034 I gotta get a rear trigger frame and move everything over to the new frame.. I know I will learn alot when I do that bit of work. Ill research more on that muffler mod.

I meant the ms361

I live and cut in the hills above Boulder. Live at 6400 ft and cut anywhere up to 8500'. I have old school Husqvarna saws--346, 372 (and Dolmar 7900s and Stihl 200t), so I'm accustomed to tuning according to temperature and elevation.

Had an early version (2013?) Husky 550 which was problematic for the autotune, and I sold it to someone down near sea level. I believe the later versions of autotune are improved, but have yet to try one up here. I have a 562 (autotune) at my NY camp--450' elevation--and I love that saw. Whether it would perform as well up in this country I can't say. I'd talk to a dealer in your area, and ask if they're doing well with the newer autotune saws.

Back when I had my 550, I took it to Longmont (Mac Equipment--good people) to see if they could troubleshoot it. At the time they said they'd had so much trouble with the autotune that they returned a pallet load of saws to Husqvarna. But I think things have improved since then.

I live and cut in the hills above Boulder. Live at 6400 ft and cut anywhere up to 8500'. I have old school Husqvarna saws--346, 372 (and Dolmar 7900s and Stihl 200t), so I'm accustomed to tuning according to temperature and elevation.

Had an early version (2013?) Husky 550 which was problematic for the autotune, and I sold it to someone down near sea level. I believe the later versions of autotune are improved, but have yet to try one up here. I have a 562 (autotune) at my NY camp--450' elevation--and I love that saw. Whether it would perform as well up in this country I can't say. I'd talk to a dealer in your area, and ask if they're doing well with the newer autotune saws.

Back when I had my 550, I took it to Longmont (Mac Equipment--good people) to see if they could troubleshoot it. At the time they said they'd had so much trouble with the autotune that they returned a pallet load of saws to Husqvarna. But I think things have improved since then.
That's the sort of thing that gives me pause about Autotune/Mtronic. I can't have something that won't operate right at elevation.

Autotune/M-tronic automatically adjust the tune for altitude and temperature and everything else that affects engine response. It's an ingeniously simple design: the ignition unit measures how well the saw reacts to throttle and adjusts the fuel soleniod in the carb accordingly. No sensors to go bad.

If the 034 is working I'd replace the handle and tank (it's a single unit) and keep using it. OEM one will be best but you can also get an inexpensive one here: https://www.farmertec.com/Fuel-Tank...k-Rear-Handle-Assy-1125-350-0818-p228208.html My experience with Farmertech tanks and handles has been that the fit and finish is not to Stihl levels, the throttle trigger may be a little rougher and the tank vent may leak. The last two are usually fixable. Some units work fine out of the box.

That's the sort of thing that gives me pause about Autotune/Mtronic. I can't have something that won't operate right at elevation.
Thats why I'm trying to decide on autotune or older model without. I will steer clear of Stihl for the near future and just keep my 2 that need fixing.

Autotune/M-tronic automatically adjust the tune for altitude and temperature and everything else that affects engine response. It's an ingeniously simple design: the ignition unit measures how well the saw reacts to throttle and adjusts the fuel soleniod in the carb accordingly. No sensors to go bad.

If the 034 is working I'd replace the handle and tank (it's a single unit) and keep using it. OEM one will be best but you can also get an inexpensive one here: https://www.farmertec.com/Fuel-Tank...k-Rear-Handle-Assy-1125-350-0818-p228208.html My experience with Farmertech tanks and handles has been that the fit and finish is not to Stihl levels, the throttle trigger may be a little rougher and the tank vent may leak. The last two are usually fixable. Some units work fine out of the box.
I definitely am going to fix the 034 and keep it. It has always been my backup saw that turned into my main for the last year. It it very reliable for me and has never left me stranded except for when I lost the plug boot spring lol. I just have to wait to be able to afford to fix it till spring. Thank you ericm979 for the info and advice I'll be ordering one when I can.

Latest posts

Back