High Octane fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Shooters Apprentice

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I noticed awhile back that most engineered fuels are higher octane than what we can usually get at the pump, usually around 95. Up here in Alaska I don't have to worry about ethanol, but the highest octane pump gas I can get is 90, so that's what I've always used mixed 50:1 with Amsoil Satreber.

I recently became a dealer for Amsoil and while putting together a order I noticed their Dominator octane booster, and grabbed a bottle. I've been adding 1oz per gallon of their stabilizer to my fuel for awhile.

So anyway, I mixed up a batch of gas today adding 2.6oz per gallon of oil, and 1 oz each of the stabilizer and the octane booster, filled up my 346XP and headed out to the woodpile.

Warmed the saw up and started tuning it. First thing I noticed was that I had to lean out the low jet just a hail from where I was, but that saws been sitting awhile and I may have tuned it at 20 below last time, can't remember. Anyway, adjusted the low, and started adjusting the high. I got it 4 stroking good on a free rev and then put it in the wood and started leaning it out slowly looking for that spot where it smoothed out.

Now for the interesting part. This saw has a 16" bar with the rakers down a bit too far so it pulls hard. I noticed that the point where it smoothed out in the cut was nearly the same as the point where it smoothed out in free rev. If I got it to where it ran smooth in the cut, and not going back and forth from smooth and rough, when I pulled it out, it would be revving smooth.

Just curious if anyone else had played with this, and what your findings were.

I went and dug out my Tach.

Tuned to where it just smooths out in the wood I'm turning 12,800 RPM. In the cut, not pushing, but sharp chain and cutting decent I only dropped to 11,600

Most of the saws I’ve had a tach on whilst in the cut drop by somewhere around 3000 rpm self feeding.

You mention the depth gauges are low and thus it pulls hard, but that isn’t in keeping with what your tach is saying. Unless the wood is really soft or punky?

Can you upload a picture of your chain / teeth from multiple angles? You may also want to check your bar rails, if they’re worn you may struggle to get it to feed nicely or at all.

Murphy Bit me a few times ,, Seems that when something is really running better than ever it is trying to tell ya something. Now I just catch myself being Paranoid. Is 12,800 common for your saw? The reason I ask Is some saws run faster than others and some are slower torque monsters and the rpm differences of WOT and in the cut are less. I can't offer any advice ,, Just need more info for processing.

Latest posts

Back