Hinging characteristics of different trees

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You learned better of it. Good that you manned up; owned the lack of knowledge : hickory. We occasional find a top-dead shag-bark on a woodlot being thinned. It is ribboned for felling, LAST.

Where can a climber/faller go to get information on specific species of trees? Good hinging wood? Brittle?
Dangers to look for that are specific to that kind of tree ... when piecing down, or falling from the ground?
After quite a few years I'll have my own backlog of memories to rely on, but until then, is there a place where the information is available?
A dependable very detailed handbook for tree work, published by the Worker’s Compensation Board in Vancouver, B.C. Is the Faller’s & Bucket’s Handbook. I review mine yearly to keep sharp on these skills especially the uncommon techniques they describe. It is worth every penny of the$25 to $30 price.

The Wood Handbook, Wood as an Engineering Material from the Forest Products Laboratory has reference charts in the back that show Modulus of Rupture. I think there is a chart for both green and dry wood... That will at least give you an idea of relative bending strength.
There's a book called 'how to fell a tree'. Things priceless. It stays with me wherever I go.

Pine holds good

UAlwmRX.jpg

was chunking down a hickory a few weeks back, just straight through slice cut (Not 100% thru, I had a rigging line on the back side) pushed a chunk off and felt my lanyard get really tight all of a sudden, dont be a dumbass, hickory is some stringy stuff
That's the thing with chunking: not as much weight, and so that little shred hangs on. Don't I know it : "piece of cake" small fir removal, and I was using a break cut. Shoved a 4 ft by 6 in. piece, and it hung on a bit and hit the home service wire I was avoiding, causing it to bounce. Then the transformer at the street shot some sparks to the ground and started a fire in the roadside brush and weeds (it was in summer, and dry)! Long story short, the town fire chief "banned" my company from working until the fire restriction was lifted a few months later. Don't know if he could really do that, but small town and all, I didn't whine about it -- I work in a half dozen towns and out on various counties, so whatever.

I had called the power company; they came out, and said the transformer was loose on the pole, and that they were gonna replace it. Didn't actually cause damage., just freaked me out. Course, didn't help that my groundie was standing nearby (after putting out the fire), and lit up a cig in front f the fire chief.

have you ever cut a bois d'arc tree or used the wood for anything? We used to cut them for fence posts and I don't believe there is anything harder. If you don't have a real sharp chain, you won't cut through before making dust instead of chips. It is called Osage Orange in some places and Ironwood in others. After it dries it is nearly impossible to drive a staple in to hold the wire (you have to use the 1 inch staples, the longer ones just crumple up. I have been thinking about getting some and sawing some 1 inch lumber and see what I can make with it just for kicks, I think it is a pretty wood.
It’s like the Hardox steel of the tree world. Just looked at a decent sized Pignut this morning

Back