Hl-63a replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grizzlybeargrylls99

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So long story short I have an old 1-40 with an HL-63a. After trying everything myself and no luck I sent it out and after he tried everything he sent it back. Carbs pulls fuel but will not stay running. Starves the saw for fuel. Carb pressure tests good. Throttle shaft does have some play, may be the issue but I dont have a lathe to resize the shaft. Looking for a replacement but have had no luck finding one. Saw is in great shape and I want to keep the right carb in it if i can. Any ideas on where to find one or am I going to have to buy another saw to get one? Thanks

Very old carb, late 50`s into the earl 60`s , you would be very lucky indeed to find a new one but there`s still lots of good rebuilders out there. I have never seen an HL that couldn`t be fixed and I have seen a lot of them, many with the same bore can be swapped, even the shafts and levers as that was often the only difference from one model to another. The position of the H and L screws were another difference so one needed to study the layout to see if a swap was possible.

Very old carb, late 50`s into the earl 60`s , you would be very lucky indeed to find a new one but there`s still lots of good rebuilders out there. I have never seen an HL that couldn`t be fixed and I have seen a lot of them, many with the same bore can be swapped, even the shafts and levers as that was often the only difference from one model to another. The position of the H and L screws were another difference so one needed to study the layout to see if a swap was possible.
I have a few other HLs in a 200 and 300 that'll bolt right up, but was hoping to keep those saws complete.

There are lots of those old McCullochs out there languishing away not being used so parts are quite easy to find and have been very reasonable during my searches. Ask over in the Stickies Forum and I bet someone over there would have a spare or two. Most of my older vintage saws used HL`s as well, easy carb to rebuild and they seemed to last forever. Your carb is a 11/16" venturi model, plenty of them that size was used on vintage saws from 80cc on up to 100 cc saws.

HLs are great carbs the only thing to give me grief was a nozzle check valve.My 80 year old buddy Fred has a super fat binder from Tillitson which covers every carb from day one until the mid seventies.It has charts that give the specs and which outboard snow mobile chain saw etc and the model used plus all the trouble shooting info etc. there are diagrams and explanations of every thing.
Jerry due you recall back in the early seventies when a company was selling GoseJet they were for HR and HD carbs on sleds the ball was glass they worked wonderful but they are no more.
Kash

HLs are great carbs the only thing to give me grief was a nozzle check valve.My 80 year old buddy Fred has a super fat binder from Tillitson which covers every carb from day one until the mid seventies.It has charts that give the specs and which outboard snow mobile chain saw etc and the model used plus all the trouble shooting info etc. there are diagrams and explanations of every thing.
Jerry due you recall back in the early seventies when a company was selling GoseJet they were for HR and HD carbs on sleds the ball was glass they worked wonderful but they are no more.
Kash
One thing I was not involved in very much were snow sleds, they were only a handful of them around this area as we seldom had enough snow here to run them on. Being right on the coast here the snow was sporadic at best. Most snow falls turn to rain about half way through the storms washing away the snow before the storms were over. I owned two sleds, both Arctic Cats and they never got used enough to wear the tracks or drive components out, I don`t recall ever hearing the name GoseJet.

Back