Home built log trailer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodiakmac

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
A couple of months ago I picked up a 7-ton John Deere running gear for $350.00 CDN. There was a bend in the reach about 14 inches from one end, so I split the wagon and cut off the bent part. With that piece cut off, I am still able to get from 7' to 11' between the bunks.

The bunks are 6" x 3" x 1/4' rectangular channel steel 66' long; the bunks sit on 2 1/2" x 1/4" inch square tube vertical supports that are bolted to the original bolsters; and the braces that tie in the bunks to the frame are 1/4" x 3" flat steel stock.

The standards (upright posts) are 2 1/2" x 1/4" inch square tube, 4' long. I will be rigging up a one-pull lever/cable release on the right side (facing forward) that will simultaneously pull out 1 of the draw-pins at the bottom of each standard; the other 2 pins will be removed by hand prior to pulling the release. I drilled out the 4 holes on the bottom of the right side standards to 1" diameter and welded in a section of 1 " pipe to act as a bushing to reduce friction and binding when the draw-pins are yanked out by the release.

The chains running from standard to standard are flipped out of the way when loading, then snugged up by binders when loaded up. The chains remain in place when the trip lever is pulled. So the bottom of the right-side standards will kick out when the pins are pulled. I posted this over on the Forestry Forum too.

Patent Pending .... ;)

Attachments

• log trailer 1.JPG
    log trailer 1.JPG
    4.4 MB · Views: 24
  • log trailer 2.JPG
    log trailer 2.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 24
  • log trailer 3.JPG
    log trailer 3.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 23
Reinventing Trip stakes?

FYI this is how a lot of folks got Dead.

What log truck use (they are still in limited use) is a cable that runs from one side to the other, creating both a bolster and a release point that keeps you out of harms way, for the most part. Only one fixed pin on the stake as a pivot point. You can purchase the release mechanism as a weldament, not real sure where, but I do know they are out there. its important to have a way to adjust the tension on the cable so the stakes don't sag too far, and to have the release on the opposite side that you want to release. Gravity isn't real concerned about you or your feelings.

1628861578706.png

I don’t like that. At all. Too many places to get squished and no safe spot with both sides foldable.
For the factory versions, there are 2 cables, one for each side, with the release being on the opposite side of what you are releasing, they work good, but if you stack your logs to high you run the risk of the top logs rolling off backwards, then squirshing the poor SOB doing the releasing, generally speaking now days there is a machine available to hold the load while you release the bale latches, that then pushes the load off into a pond. Not to mention the risk of having the cables break while chooching down a public road, or the bale latch not being set correctly or or etc, so most folks have gotten away from them, still see a bunch of them in use that have been welded up solid, that KW I drove for awhile had a set of them.

Its mostly an island logger thing, or BC/Alaska off road log trucks run them a lot, where they are going to dump straight into the water then raft them to a mill

For the factory versions, there are 2 cables, one for each side, with the release being on the opposite side of what you are releasing, they work good, but if you stack your logs to high you run the risk of the top logs rolling off backwards, then squirshing the poor SOB doing the releasing, generally speaking now days there is a machine available to hold the load while you release the bale latches, that then pushes the load off into a pond. Not to mention the risk of having the cables break while chooching down a public road, or the bale latch not being set correctly or or etc, so most folks have gotten away from them, still see a bunch of them in use that have been welded up solid, that KW I drove for awhile had a set of them.

Its mostly an island logger thing, or BC/Alaska off road log trucks run them a lot, where they are going to dump straight into the water then raft them to a mill

I remember seeing quite a few if them on the big Hayes (now KW’s C500 & variants) trucks & trailers running around SE Alaska. Cool sight to see big ass loads coming off and right into the water. Those things were always loaded right to the top of the bunks or higher.

Still don’t like the both sides being able to move design.

I remember seeing quite a few if them on the big Hayes (now KW’s C500 & variants) trucks & trailers running around SE Alaska. Cool sight to see big ass loads coming off and right into the water. Those things were always loaded right to the top of the bunks or higher.

Still don’t like the both sides being able to move design.
yeah... no one does lol

but if done correctly, you shouldn't be able to even reach the release for the side you are standing on... "shouldn't"

Reinventing Trip stakes?

FYI this is how a lot of folks got Dead.

What log truck use (they are still in limited use) is a cable that runs from one side to the other, creating both a bolster and a release point that keeps you out of harms way, for the most part. Only one fixed pin on the stake as a pivot point. You can purchase the release mechanism as a weldament, not real sure where, but I do know they are out there. its important to have a way to adjust the tension on the cable so the stakes don't sag too far, and to have the release on the opposite side that you want to release. Gravity isn't real concerned about you or your feelings.

View attachment 923884
The cable-release system I have in mind will work along these lines. That's where I got the idea - from the logging trucks I used to load in BC back in the 70s. Until I get it rigged up properly I will doing all the unloading from the safety of my tractor cab. I've already had more than my share of logging mishaps ... safety is a REAL priority with me.:)

Back