Home depot used saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperDuty04

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
So for you fellers who have picked up the used home depot rental saws. Were you able to negotiate the price with the manager or was it a set price take it or leave it kinda thing? I’ve got a Makita 6100 I’m gonna go check out but their asking $315 for it when new ones are going for $599. and I’ve not seen it yet so no idea what shape it’s in.
And speaking of the 6100’s, do you think parts will be readily available for these for at least 10 years or so?

I personally don't trust or want anything from Home dumper. Customers make me use their doors often and they all have sizable air gaps at the top and bottom corners. Same thing on every door. I also had to rent a roofing nailer and it sucked. Double fire, no auto fire. It was awful and a rip off at $40/day F them!

So for you fellers who have picked up the used home depot rental saws. Were you able to negotiate the price with the manager or was it a set price take it or leave it kinda thing? I’ve got a Makita 6100 I’m gonna go check out but their asking $315 for it when new ones are going for $599. and I’ve not seen it yet so no idea what shape it’s in.
And speaking of the 6100’s, do you think parts will be readily available for these for at least 10 years or so?
They will be discontinued in a few months so not sure about the parts availability.

The 6100 is starting to be drastically reduced here in Australia - they are now the same cost as the 5600F. Maybe you could wait a bit longer for new ones to go on sale.

Funny you ask....I have been wanting to play with a 64xx big bore. I found one locally listed on the rental tools for sale and went there at lunch...it was actually a 61xx, $340. I brought this to their attention and they were very "take it or leave it". I asked if they would accept a cash offer and was told no, that pricing was set by a different division. I just said "well, if the model listed wasn't correct, how do you know the price was?" They seemed miffed, so I just walked out...probably for the better.

I'd buy a new echo 590 for $400 before i bought a rental 61xx for $315.

I was able to get it reduced . They even let me pull the muffler off

If you have it, why are you going to check it out?
Parts are readily available for any Dolmar/Mikita chainsaw.......unless you live somewhere else........I assume the sticks are in the United States.

I think price negotiation varies store to store. I had a conversation about it with one of the tool rental managers once. Based on what he said, it sounded like corporate dictates to them when to sell the equipment and sets the advertised price. When I asked about a reduced price, he checked some paper work and came back with "the lowest I can go is ...." It's been a while, but if I remember correctly it was about $30 less than the advertised price.

$315 for a used 6100 is a good price. Puts you right around 50% of new, which is good.
They are strong saws. If it runs good I would snatch it up if that’s what you are looking for.
I spoke to them this morning. They said the saw was in good shape and ran well and has a new bar snd chain on it. They dropped the price to $275 for me since I told them I was over an hour away. It’s very tempting.

I spoke to them this morning. They said the saw was in good shape and ran well and has a new bar snd chain on it. They dropped the price to $275 for me since I told them I was over an hour away. It’s very tempting.
If you can pull the muffler and inspect the piston for scoring and it comes up clean I would jump on it for that price. If they won't let you pull it you may be taking a bit of a gamble. At the very least I would take it home and pull the muffler without running it. Any problems and I would contact them straight away. That's not to say that they will refund you or anything but you may have half a shot.

Do it. Like stated before. Alot of times they won't lower the price.
I also got them to sell me a replacement bar for $17 which they normally do not do

If you can pull the muffler and inspect the piston for scoring and it comes up clean I would jump on it for that price. If they won't let you pull it you may be taking a bit of a gamble. At the very least I would take it home and pull the muffler without running it. Any problems and I would contact them straight away. That's not to say that they will refund you or anything but you may have half a shot.
I'm pretty sure the guy let me pull it because once you pay that's it.
I also told the guy I had bought one beforehand that had scoring and wanted to not make the same mistake again.

Bought a Makita 6421 4 years ago Fro Home Depot. Paid $300. The bar had a flat section near the nose and the needle bearing on the clutch was bad. Pulled the piston and cylinder and upgraded it to a 7900. Added the heavy duty air filter. That’s the only poblems I've had. Gave a widow lady $300 for a pristine MS 6100 with an extra 20” bar and chain and a 28” bar and chain. It may run stronger than the 6421?

Bought a Makita 6421 4 years ago Fro Home Depot. Paid $300. The bar had a flat section near the nose and the needle bearing on the clutch was bad. Pulled the piston and cylinder and upgraded it to a 7900. Added the heavy duty air filter. That’s the only poblems I've had. Gave a widow lady $300 for a pristine MS 6100 with an extra 20” bar and chain and a 28” bar and chain. It may run stronger than the 6421?
I've owned both. As far as I know homedepot only carries the 6100 now so it's not possible to buy anything like the 64cc saw now. They were on there way out back when I got mine. My oil pump leaks. But I've literally done nothing to this one.
I've not run a echo 590 but if I thought it was as tough as this I would probably buy it . But I think it's not and has alot more plastic. If it was homedepot would rent echo and not dolkita

I personally don't trust or want anything from Home dumper. Customers make me use their doors often and they all have sizable air gaps at the top and bottom corners. Same thing on every door. I also had to rent a roofing nailer and it sucked. Double fire, no auto fire. It was awful and a rip off at $40/day F them!
That has absolutely 0 to do with the saw that's made by dolmar Your experience with a door and a nailer has absolutely no correlation with this .
I agree with you 100% on that stuff But home depot does not make dolmar or makita and if these saws can last 3 years with idiots from home depot renting them they're pretty damn tough. Generally speaking it's probably not a good idea to buy a saw that's been abused. Some saws can handle it some can't.
It's a gamble. Its also not $900. So is buying used saws off craigslist. Or offer up.
I probably won't ever do it again. But i needed a bigger saw and I didn't have cash to waste on a new saw.

I've owned both. As far as I know homedepot only carries the 6100 now so it's not possible to buy anything like the 64cc saw now. They were on there way out back when I got mine. My oil pump leaks. But I've literally done nothing to this one.
I've not run a echo 590 but if I thought it was as tough as this I would probably buy it . But I think it's not and has alot more plastic. If it was homedepot would rent echo and not dolkita
Unless the Echo has a plastic crankcase I don't see how it can be more plasticy than the 6100.

Back