Home grown muffler modification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlacknTan

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I haven't been around here in some time.. Life caught up..

Long story.. I'm not getting any younger. I've got an old Husqvarna 257, and a getting older 576 XP. At the time, I was younger and thought I needed a big saw. The classic lament. with cars ir was.. if a little horsepower is good, more is better, and too much is just right. I guess we could apply this principle to most everything...

Anyway, the 576 was fun, but now it's just too danged heavy to get back into the woods. The 257 is getting near on retirement, so looking for something in the 50cc range. I've known people who raved about their 346 XP's, and I want something current that's similar.

I've pretty much settled on the 550 XP Mkll. I've got the best dealer close to a route I travel often, and I'm ready to pull the trigger.

Since weight is an issue, I want to pack as much punch into as small a package as possible, so my thought is to run the 550 stock for awhile, and then try a muffler mod. Noise is not an issue. My thought is to buy a new muffler, modify that one, and keep the stocker to restore to stock if needed.

My first thought was to have an experienced guy do it, but, I don't think there is that much to it, I'm a retired Tool&Die Maker, and have a friend that is a Master with a TIG setup. He builds NASCAR Modifieds for a living.

So, can anyone point me to a thread to the modification process, or fill me in on exzactly what is involved??

Thanks in advance..

Bill

Iv got a nice clean 562XP for sale if your interested. Not a heavy saw.

Just thought I’d throw it out there. I think I have it listed for 450 powerhead only

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Latest posts

Back