Home made fire starter sticks

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A really good fire starter that has many uses is sections of pine that is saturated with pitch. Every now ant then I cut into a tree with a crotch or some other stressed section. I cut these into strips about a inch wide and let them dry. During the winter all one needs to do is put them near some smallish splits and lite with a match. They often burn 20 to 30 minutes and you are off an running for the day. Or just leave them some where in the house and the whole house will smell like Christmas. Thanks

When I go to some timber projects I will find a tree or trunk that has rotted away but the center remains intact. I will take an axe and try to break off some knots and see if it really smells strong so if it smells fresh then will try to cut it up for starters. Thanks

I have a pile of chunks that are about 3 to 5 inches which work real well. During the winter when we have a moist year every thing gets a little wet. I will pile a good amount of damp wood into my stove and lite the pine chunk and just let it go as it does not take long to start into a warm fire. Thanks

One of many articles on harvesting fat wood.
https://www.ramblinjim.com/articles/finding-harvesting-and-using-fatwood/
I cut a dead standing pine down on my friends property last week and it was loaded from top to bottom. Probably 10-12” diameter tree just dripping with pitch.
I cut up some Pine about two months ago that seemed pretty heavy even though it was still growing and thought it was heavy just because of some large knots. Most of it is pretty dry and lite now. Some of it feels like it is completely still wet. Some how only certain parts of trees get saturated in pitch while other parts just decay away. I brought a couple of splits home and sure enough they took off like Roman Candles. I have seen many trees still standing but only ten feet out of ninety with just the core and knot structure intact. Take an axe and take a few chips soon you will smell Christmas or a spilled bottle of Pinsol. Not sure why some do and some do not Thanks

i used to split all by hand and upgraded to a log splitter going on 3 years ago. i put a 5 gallon bucket or the plastic milk crates under the drain holes, at the end of the splitter and catch the trash. when i get a few pieces i just can't move or split. i rip them long ways making spaghetti noodles. place that in a bucket to dry ni the garage. that is just about the best kindling and fire starters you can get. then save those sheets of peeled bark, stack it inside its self. and store them in teh garage. when i need quick heat and coals. this gets rid of my trash and warms the house quickly

Back