Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Super XL noodling some black gum that is crazy unsplitable. I bought this saw used in the 70's and it was roached out. Did a split the case rebuild and painted it up like new. This was my only saw up to around 10 years ago and it's still my go to 20". Looks a bit rough now but it's tight and still runs strong.
P5180217.JPGP5180213.JPGP5180214.JPGP5180216.JPGP5180218.JPG

I have made them by finding a socket that fits inside the holes then put pins in the hole,weld pins to socket.
I always have a tin of sacrificial sockets
I did something similar. Cut a 1 1/8 socket and cut three legs into it so it fits inside each clutch shoe. The three holes in the clutch are threaded so I didn’t want to ruin them by inserting a pin. Plus there so small, something like 6/32, I doubt the would hold up to any amount of torque.
On another note. Is the supposed to be some sort of screw, or whatever, in the end of the oil pump. Hole is threaded, which makes me wonder.

Attachments

• F76B4B0C-4F2B-49C2-927D-0A2574DDAF3F.jpeg
    F76B4B0C-4F2B-49C2-927D-0A2574DDAF3F.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
So I took my big girl for a fun run yesterday and as usual she didn't disappoint!

007367d9795be868126b4db3e76b617b.jpg

Homelite enthusiast in training [emoji879]

Does anyone have experience replacing the spark plug wire on a C51 coil? I had one come in last week and I took the coil from a saw I had in the attic but I would like to make my donor saw whole again. Along that same line, is the cover on the coil supposed to be soft and rubbery? I may be looking for a replace coil if anyone has one available.

Mark

Does anyone have experience replacing the spark plug wire on a C51 coil? I had one come in last week and I took the coil from a saw I had in the attic but I would like to make my donor saw whole again. Along that same line, is the cover on the coil supposed to be soft and rubbery? I may be looking for a replace coil if anyone has one available.

Mark
I have replaced the wire on a couple of those saws. It can be very unpleasant. They are usually glued in with a yellow epoxy.
If you grab the coil in one hand and the base of the wire in the other you can get lucky and twist it out in one piece. Counter clockwise to get the wire off the screw. Possibly heating it up a bit might help soften the glue?

If it breaks off…..and it probably will you need to pick it out and expose the screw in the bottom of the coil so that you can twist on the new wire. 5mm if I remember correctly. The coil plastic has been very brittle on the ones I fixed so care should be taken if you need to pick out any wire bits.

I used clear silicone to seal the new wire in place.

I don’t recall the coil plastic being soft ever.

The wire unscrewed very cleanly and the yellow epoxy just fell out. My problem is, there is no screw/stud in there for the wire to attach to, or at least none that I could see and I am pretty sure I know what to look for. For future reference, I bought some hollow screw extractors from Rockler that work very well for removing the remnants of a plug wire when they twist off in the coil.

DSC05129.JPG

DSC05852.JPG

DSC05853.JPG

Left hand twist too...

Mark

That looks very handy!

Now that I think about it the screw is more like a pin. Very small and hard to see without a light and a magnifying glass.

The last one I did was similar to what you described. I thought that the pin was not there but I still needed to remove a bit more wire.

I believe that you would know what to look for though so possibly it ripped out and is no longer in its proper place.

All your missing is an SEZ, for the HOMELITE 3 saw plan.
I tried but the EZ had to go back on the shelf. Need to restock my carb kits to get it running. This one is just marked E-Z automatic but I do have a SEZ somewhere in the pile. Also have a running 360 and 550. 20211013_190341.jpg

Back