Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ordered some seal sets for the Super XL-12S I've been going through ,sorely disappointing that the clutch side is not double lip gartered with the new ones.
I've got some NOS McCulloch seals that were stiff/harder then new ones ,but they may have been stored incorrectly.

The thing that makes seals go bad is heat & wear without lube.I've seen 35-40 yr.old seals that look just like they came out of the factory.I don't know who came up with the concept that a new,unused 40 yr.old seal is no good.I'd sure have no fear of using one.As a matter of fact,while doing inventory recently I came across 5 new 58308B seals that I'd misplaced & there was absolutely nothing wrong with them,not "dry rotted" a bit.
Not saying it’s no good, just not gonna pay that much for one when I have other means and plenty of time on my hands. 😉

Not saying it’s no good, just not gonna pay that much for one when I have other means and plenty of time on my hands. 😉
I saw in an earlier post by you that whoever was selling the 58308 seals wanted $20.I do agree it's ridiculous.I wouldn't pay that price either.I bought my 58308 seals from Bob J.& I know I didn't pay anywhere near that price.I wanna say I paid around $6 or $7.

It wasn’t a great fit but does seal it up. I have used it on a C-51 as well for futher testing.

Not many miles on that one yet though so I’ll have to see how it works out.

They fit ok but the shaft interference may be a issue if you were to use the saw for production cutting or long sessions.

So far casual hobbyist use a few times a year has been ok….

I've had to bore a housing on one of my large frame homelites to get a modern seal to fit too. I believe i was able to get one that matched the crank close enough, but the housing had to be opened up a bit, like maybe 0.03" or so. I can't remember. Saw has been used a bunch since then and no complaints.

It wasn’t a great fit but does seal it up. I have used it on a C-51 as well for futher testing.

Not many miles on that one yet though so I’ll have to see how it works out.

They fit ok but the shaft interference may be a issue if you were to use the saw for production cutting or long sessions.

So far casual hobbyist use a few times a year has been ok….
I wonder if that would be a good reason to use an expensive oil,maybe extend the mileage of the seal

I saw in an earlier post by you that whoever was selling the 58308 seals wanted $20.I do agree it's ridiculous.I wouldn't pay that price either.I bought my 58308 seals from Bob J.& I know I didn't pay anywhere near that price.I wanna say I paid around $6 or $7.
When I was getting parts for my Mac 7-10, you gave me Bob's number, and you told me to ask him about the Pioneer parts I needed. I asked if he had rings for a Pioneer 700. He took a minute and came back, "Yep, got them right here in my hand. That original box is worth more than the rings". He charged me the price on the box, $8. I might have gotten the last set of Pioneer 700 rings in the country for 8 bucks. Bob is a true gentleman, and he likes to talk. LOL.

I wonder if that would be a good reason to use an expensive oil,maybe extend the mileage of the seal
Back in the 70's we had an account at the local Amoco. We used their 2 stroke oil and their hi test, which was a lead free, "White Gas". I still have several of Dad's saws, including his first Super 1050. An early one with a Tilly carb. It still runs great. I use it for my back up milling saw. Back then we didn't have these super oils we have now. I use Stihl Ultra in all of my saws, at 50:1. I would say, use the BEST oil you can find, not necessarily the most expensive, though they may be one and the same. I go through about 10 gallons of mix a month, I never use cheap oil. I don't know if the best oils will extend the life of a seal, but it sure is cheap insurance if it does.

This payment is very good. Congrats.

Latest posts

Back