Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had the pleasure of dealing with Joyce on several occasions and am saddened by the news.

For sure!

When I was first into chainsaws, Joyce was lots of help. In particular the XL 101/76 types. Quite a few of her little yellow invoice slips packed with bits arrived in the mail.

Later on it was misc Remington stuff including a Remington NOS 24” roller nose bar at a bargain discount.

Then there is the large binder of Lombard literature just for postage.

I especially liked her story of how she and her husband packed their Plymouth station wagon with a mountain of new in the box Homelite XL-12’s when they first became available from the distributor 1973 (ish).

I got a picture in my head of that.

Privileged I am to have known the lady.

Those of us who have known about that source have kept it relatively quiet for obvious reasons. Now that it's globally advertised, any 58308s he may have left will be $20 apiece on eBay as soon as the first gouger sees the previous post.
Isn't life a real biotch.Too bad you can't figure out that there are seals that cross over from the Homelite part #.

Isn't life a real biotch.Too bad you can't figure out that there are seals that cross over from the Homelite part #.
the replacement seal is Dichtomatik # 0609318TC=5/8"x15/16"x3/16" wide. every 17mmx40mmx12 mm bearing
that Homelite used ,was sealed with a 5/8" seal , the first 5/8" seal was a the old # 58688 ,replaced with a
a # 12282A in 1974. every 5/8" seal that Homelite was used with the 17mm Bearings ,right to the end . Claude
Mack2.

I have a governor hs103 on my VI944 ,do they give you trouble? Or should it be good to go.
If that carb has the fixed hi jet they can be quite troublesome.I had a fixed hi jet on my SXL-925 & pulled it off & put an adjustable carb on & it ran great after that.I just had to change out the needle grommet.I dislike the fixed hi jet carbs A LOT.

If that carb has the fixed hi jet they can be quite troublesome.I had a fixed hi jet on my SXL-925 & pulled it off & put an adjustable carb on & it ran great after that.I just had to change out the needle grommet.I dislike the fixed hi jet carbs A LOT.
This one has both but has a governor like a husqvarna carb.
Not that it matters much right now , I discovered an air leak around the intake manifold today with a shot of brake cleaner ,so I'll be hunting some peices before I take that apart.

I dont think its modified in any way, looks to be a new NOS replacement?
Have to fix the intake now before tuning can go farther.
Some carburetors have a drilled or semi fixed nozzle where the small Welch plug would normally be along with the rattle ball governor. Double down so to speak on the rich side.

Attachments

• 2B1E65BC-7E75-4F59-99FC-038C7D2EF3EC.png
    2B1E65BC-7E75-4F59-99FC-038C7D2EF3EC.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 47871043-3F2A-42B2-A1DE-B31CB77E30A9.png
    47871043-3F2A-42B2-A1DE-B31CB77E30A9.png
    3.8 MB · Views: 8
  • 107F17D5-8AFC-491C-8153-87B9F321C5F7.png
    107F17D5-8AFC-491C-8153-87B9F321C5F7.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 8
  • 1DC50F2F-16F5-4EFD-ABC5-CF8A136C1F32.jpeg
    1DC50F2F-16F5-4EFD-ABC5-CF8A136C1F32.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
the replacement seal is Dichtomatik # 0609318TC
Many have been reluctant over the years to use that seal for the reasons stated. A CR/SKF 6130 will also replace a 58308, but is basically just a rubber coated 10psi grease seal and not correct for the application. But you already know that.

So are you stating that the 0609318TC shaft diameter is the same as the 58308 and can be confidently used as a direct replacement, or that it just "fits ok" as a suitable option according to the description included with your very extensive and very impressive bearing and seal documentation of several years ago? I feel like I'm getting mixed signals there. Being reasonably acceptable for occasional use or being a 'replacement' can represent two distinctly different scenarios and applications, each clearly requiring (or simply tolerating) different performance parameters.

I'm simply wondering why the Dichtomatik isn't referenced more frequently as the logical choice to replace the 58308. Each time I've seen the subject discussed, the 0609318TC has been viewed with reservation instead of a commonly accepted solution. Hell, one guy is even turning a crank stub to avoid using one. LOL

Seriously though, are more folks using this seal than is evident? Are there any documented failures due to the shaft diameter difference? I'm just not aware of too many more endorsements than the couple posted here. It sure would be nice to know they loosen up just enough to work as long as the original ones did.

While I do still have two 58308s stashed, I'm becoming increasingly curious about the 0609318TCs.

the replacement seal is Dichtomatik # 0609318TC=5/8"x15/16"x3/16" wide. every 17mmx40mmx12 mm bearing
that Homelite used ,was sealed with a 5/8" seal , the first 5/8" seal was a the old # 58688 ,replaced with a
a # 12282A in 1974. every 5/8" seal that Homelite was used with the 17mm Bearings ,right to the end . Claude
Mack2.

Many have been reluctant over the years to use that seal for the reasons stated. A CR/SKF 6130 will also replace a 58308, but is basically just a rubber coated 10psi grease seal and not correct for the application. But you already know that.

So are you stating that the 0609318TC shaft diameter is the same as the 58308 and can be confidently used as a direct replacement, or that it just "fits ok" as a suitable option according to the description included with your very extensive and very impressive bearing and seal documentation of several years ago? I feel like I'm getting mixed signals there. Being reasonably acceptable for occasional use or being a 'replacement' can represent two distinctly different scenarios and applications, each clearly requiring (or simply tolerating) different performance parameters.

I'm simply wondering why the Dichtomatik isn't referenced more frequently as the logical choice to replace the 58308. Each time I've seen the subject discussed, the 0609318TC has been viewed with reservation instead of as the commonly accepted solution. Hell, one guy is even turning a crank stub to avoid using one. LOL

Seriously though, are more folks using this seal than is evident? Are there any documented failures due to the shaft diameter difference? I'm just not aware of too many more endorsements than the couple posted here. It sure would be nice to know they loosen up just enough to work as long as the original ones did.

While I do still have two 58308s stashed, I'm becoming increasingly curious about the 0609318TCs.
Mack2 is referencing PN's for the FW side on SXLAO and and other saws calling for a 12282 seal, not the 58308.
Ed is referring to what someone posted on HOH.

The Dichtomatik seal is for a shaft dia of 0.625" dia while the shaft on the saw is 0.65". Seal catalogs indicate that using a tight seal will cause wear on the shaft and some amount of drag.
No idea of seal life in this case and some people on the HOH site think it's a direct replacement but it's not.

I thought it' was appropriate to tell users that the Dichtomatik seal is NOT a direct replacement but one that will work for some undetermined amount of time if the original seal is not available.

I won't be doing that anymore. Too many dumb ass responses.

Unfortunately some people seem to take posted info anywhere as gospel instead of doing some research.

Mack2 is referencing PN's for the FW side on SXLAO and and other saws calling for a 12282 seal, not the 58308.
I understand the apples and oranges part. The common replacements for those seals would of course be 6119s or 6120s anyway, as would the PTO side depending on which style drivecase is involved. But he responded to a discussion about the 58308 PTO side seal by providing the Dichtomatic info occasionally associated with it as a 'replacement', which it essentially is -- with the well known caveat that steers folks away from it -- which was the basic point of my post.

Not calling you out by any means, Tim. Quite the contrary, actually. Just asking a couple of glaringly obvious questions with some snarky subtlety between the lines for those who may appreciate it -- like you, for example. LOL

And I've done lots of research over the years as you're generally aware. Pretty sure the one thing I can be certain of by now is where to look and who to rely on when in search of accurate information. The less than adequately informed are usually pretty obvious..

All the above stated, I still can't help being curious about the Dichtomatik seal.

I understand the apples and oranges part. The common replacements for those seals would of course be 6119s or 6120s anyway, as would the PTO side depending on which style drivecase is involved. But he responded to a discussion about the 58308 PTO side seal by providing the Dichtomatic info occasionally associated with it as a 'replacement', which it essentially is -- with the well known caveat that steers folks away from it -- which was the basic point of my post.

Not calling you out by any means, Tim. Quite the contrary, actually. Just asking a couple of glaringly obvious questions with some snarky subtlety between the lines for those who may appreciate it -- like you, for example. LOL

And I've done lots of research over the years as you're generally aware. Pretty sure the one thing I can be certain of by now is where to look and who to rely on when in search of accurate information. The less than adequately informed are usually pretty obvious..

All the above stated, I still can't help being curious about the Dichtomatik seal.
It wasn't directed at you Poge. I know you are aware of the issues. Sorry if it came out that way to you.

Seals are certainly a point of contention for me after someone posted in the poulan thread about a crossover and the SOB was too tight around the shaft I couldn't imagine it lasting a few hours. I was pissed. Frankly I'd rather spend more money on the Correct seal then f-up my saw . I really dislike the throwing about of untested information when it costs me money.

Latest posts

Back