Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Homelite super mini with the dreaded blue coil.has anyone come up with a suitable replacement or a means of a workaround.i've had success with the heat treatment but it only lasts for a couple of days.i'm thinking that once I get a good spark I may dip the whole coil in varnish which should seal everything.Any pros/cons would be appreciated.

Trying to fix up an original ez saw for my dad. Trying the get to the coil but I'm struggling to figure out how to get the recoil off. I don't want to take something apart and be in worse shape than when I started. Thanks fellas

Once you relieve the spring tension by unwinding the rope, everything unscrews and lifts off the crank. 4 screws on the pulley. 4 screws for the screen and spring holder. 1 crank nut and 3 base screws for the overrunning starter. Pay attention to the order of the washers and shims when you pull it apart. Run a zip tie thru the whole mess. I only had one I had to repair with new parts. The starter was pretty beat to crap. Grease the bearings when you reassemble.

Once you relieve the spring tension by unwinding the rope, everything unscrews and lifts off the crank. 4 screws on the pulley. 4 screws for the screen and spring holder. 1 crank nut and 3 base screws for the overrunning starter. Pay attention to the order of the washers and shims when you pull it apart. Run a zip tie thru the whole mess. I only had one I had to repair with new parts. The starter was pretty beat to crap. Grease the bearings when you reassemble.
Thanks CB! I've only messed with remingtons, this one is quite a bit different. Thanks so much for the knowledge. Much appreciated :numberone:

Homelite was proud of this ratcheting type starter. Used it for years. They came out with an overunning bearing type in the mid 60s along with FM starters. Eventually, they went to a pawl type like everybody else in the 70s.

That should be a flyball recoil. DO N0T get any grease, oil, or dirt in assembly or the balls will stick. Sticky balls will not work.

Dang 😂 I got down to the flywheel but will need to fab up a puller. This homelite is getting complicated 😂. I may not be able to put it back together again, gonna be the Humpty Dumpty saw or end up a basket case
Ask someone to send you a IPL. They are a pretty straight forward saw. Just do not lose any fasteners as they are replaceable but the china special ones will be out of place. The little screws holding the shroud on are interesting

Dang 😂 I got down to the flywheel but will need to fab up a puller. This homelite is getting complicated 😂. I may not be able to put it back together again, gonna be the Humpty Dumpty saw or end up a basket case

Use a harmonic balance puller and long 1/4" nc bolts, at least 4" long. No need to fab anything and you'll use the puller again.

I have my father's homemade pullers and specialty tools that he used in the years of working on Homelite saws. One of the flywheel pullers weighs about as much as a small saw but they get the job done.

Not all of the info you find on the internet about chainsaws is correct, if you search the Homelite 240-HG you may find it listed as first being made in 1986, that information is wrong. I bought my first ever chainsaw from Kmart in the fall of 1981, it was a Homelite 240. Here’s all I have left, the manual was printed in 1981.

Attachments

• 8310D541-7AEB-4713-AEA6-B05DD4071C4E.jpeg
    8310D541-7AEB-4713-AEA6-B05DD4071C4E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • 011F5E67-7825-4712-A398-FDC1C5072F74.jpeg
    011F5E67-7825-4712-A398-FDC1C5072F74.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back