Homelite Chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Posted this over on the other forbidden site but thought I would include it here as well. It's a 900D that I picked up two years ago from a fella in my local area who was getting rid of several vintage saws. I don't know how long it had sat outside but was hiding under some tin roof panels and some other junk. The biggest issue with it ended up being a cracked flywheel. I got it running a few days ago, made the mistake of starting it in the shop though without a muffler cover. I didn't have any hearing protection on, so it about blew my eardrums out. I want to replace the dawgs with something better but that will have to wait until I can get more acetylene for my cutting torch. I also don't have any decent bars that will fit. I believe the oregon D096 bar mount is what I need as it needs a 3/8" bar groove. I think the D196 will also work with some minor modification? Anyone have any decent bars they wouldn't mind selling or trading for parts?

homelite 900.jpghomelite 900D(2).jpg

1673974421930.jpeg
Wondering if anyone has been able to find any production numbers on the early saws. Curious to know how many Stick Shift 770GS saws were made and how many are out there. So far I know of approximately 17. I spent years looking for one and somehow managed to find 3 in about 18 months. I kept one half wrap and one full wrap. Also curious to know if anyone has found a 770GS2? All 3 that I have found so far have been GS1 saws.

Posted this over on the other forbidden site but thought I would include it here as well. It's a 900D that I picked up two years ago from a fella in my local area who was getting rid of several vintage saws. I don't know how long it had sat outside but was hiding under some tin roof panels and some other junk. The biggest issue with it ended up being a cracked flywheel. I got it running a few days ago, made the mistake of starting it in the shop though without a muffler cover. I didn't have any hearing protection on, so it about blew my eardrums out. I want to replace the dawgs with something better but that will have to wait until I can get more acetylene for my cutting torch. I also don't have any decent bars that will fit. I believe the oregon D096 bar mount is what I need as it needs a 3/8" bar groove. I think the D196 will also work with some minor modification? Anyone have any decent bars they wouldn't mind selling or trading for parts?

View attachment 1046231View attachment 1046232

D096 will work on a C series and I also have a 707 that it will fit. I’m guessing the 900 has the same set up but not sure as I haven’t check on my 9-26. I’ll have to look tonight because now I’m curious.

I think the only thing I had to do to get the D096 bar to fit was flip the tensioner upside down on the clutch cover so it would line up with the slot on the bar…..

Sorry, don’t have any to sell though.

D096 fits on the 9-26 studs and the tensioner fits into the adjuster slot on the bar easily. The oil hole does not line up though so definitely would need to have an adapter or something to get it to oil properly. Doesn’t seem like any good bar for the 9-26. Possibly your saw has a different set up?

Attachments

• 1E285010-1E91-4690-86C2-FB86E9434587.jpeg
    1E285010-1E91-4690-86C2-FB86E9434587.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • DD7B71EA-1F8A-4D90-AC91-617D11E23940.jpeg
    DD7B71EA-1F8A-4D90-AC91-617D11E23940.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • B82484DD-E3CF-407B-A75E-6FF52A4C9CE6.jpeg
    B82484DD-E3CF-407B-A75E-6FF52A4C9CE6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 2448A4F1-2459-47CD-9D1A-7B181E58C6A1.jpeg
    2448A4F1-2459-47CD-9D1A-7B181E58C6A1.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
D096 fits on the 9-26 studs and the tensioner fits into the adjuster slot on the bar easily. The oil hole does not line up though so definitely would need to have an adapter or something to get it to oil properly. Doesn’t seem like any good bar for the 9-26. Possibly your saw has a different set up?
You can drill a new oil hole or slot a current one. I know 3002 Stihl with adapters and new oil holes aa well as Mac bars work with oil holes drilled. The Husky bars are proported to work with oil hole moddification.

The bar that came with this saw was modified so yes drilling a hole in the Windsor would likely be a solution. This bar kind of looks like a Mac bar…?

Attachments

• F241ED13-A32D-40ED-BC76-983FB3B74DC8.jpeg
    F241ED13-A32D-40ED-BC76-983FB3B74DC8.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
View attachment 1049396
Wondering if anyone has been able to find any production numbers on the early saws. Curious to know how many Stick Shift 770GS saws were made and how many are out there. So far I know of approximately 17. I spent years looking for one and somehow managed to find 3 in about 18 months. I kept one half wrap and one full wrap. Also curious to know if anyone has found a 770GS2? All 3 that I have found so far have been GS1 saws.
There is no way of knowing production numbers for any of the early saws. Ive not seen any 770 GS2 saws either.

Sounds AWESOME Bill.
They are a fun saw. That one is a bit different as I am running 3/8 chain on it. That is not typical on a gear drive but heck I am not a typical guy. As you can see in the video I cut out on the first cut when I was in low. Scott and James who put that show on work their tails off to get wood and I do not want to waste it so I sometimes get a bit thin on cuts. When I switched to high I made sure I took a slightly thicker cut.

They are a fun saw. That one is a bit different as I am running 3/8 chain on it. That is not typical on a gear drive but heck I am not a typical guy. As you can see in the video I cut out on the first cut when I was in low. Scott and James who put that show on work their tails off to get wood and I do not want to waste it so I sometimes get a bit thin on cuts. When I switched to high I made sure I took a slightly thicker cut.
Definitely an angry saw

I'm going to put this 550 in the classifieds. Always like to give the Homies first chance. I was cleaning out my tractor shed and found it on a top shelf. Don't remember where I got it, or why it was hidden on the top shelf. It should have been in the garage on a display shelf? I primed it and after 6-8 pulls it fired up. Put half a tank of mix in it and primed it two more times and it took off running. I went in and got my camera and left it running on the step. Came back and it was just sitting there idling. Probably ran for 4-5 minutes while I was gone. I'd like $200 for it plus shipping.

Back