• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Sold Homelite Super 77 cylinder and piston.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodslasher

Make McCulloch Great Again!
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
My brother has a blue Homelite Super 77 that has some piston scoring and he tasked me with finding him a new slug and maybe jug. I've tried Fleebay but it didn't have anything for this so I'm stumped. I don't want to pull this apart until I know I have the parts to put it back together but if someone thinks this is still salvageable, please let me know and I'll tear it apart.
IMG_3008.jpg
IMG_2471.jpg
IMG_E2470.jpg

That there is definitely not scoring as a result of heat but as a result of debris, usually carbon, scratching the exhaust side of the piston.

The older saws required a richer mix of oil which often resulted in carbon build up inside the exhaust port. This carbon would come loose and scratch the piston.

Honestly, you're probably just fine running it that way, there are so many older saws that have the same problem that is pretty much the status quo.

If you've got good compression and the rings are good I say RUN IT.

That there is definitely not scoring as a result of heat but as a result of debris, usually carbon, scratching the exhaust side of the piston.

The older saws required a richer mix of oil which often resulted in carbon build up inside the exhaust port. This carbon would come loose and scratch the piston.

Honestly, you're probably just fine running it that way, there are so many older saws that have the same problem that is pretty much the status quo.

If you've got good compression and the rings are good I say RUN IT.
Correct, I would also decarbon the exhaust post also, its those black pieces that when come loose, get jammed between the piston and cylinder wall and cause the scoring

Found a Super wiz 80 piston and rings set for it on Chainsawr so provided the cylinder's good it's set. The compression is low and it won't run so I'll fix the obvious problem first before I look for trouble elsewhere.

Well, upon disassembling the saw it turns out the top end is cracked. Fleebay doesn't have a new cylinder, neither does chainsawr or anywhere else I looked. If anyone has a new jug or info on where to get one please let me know. If not, I'm in for a long wait.

Back