Homelite Super EZ ignition questions?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
rarefish:
Which brand, part number or model of chip did you use? Reason I ask is the Nova II's that I have tried, type that polarity can be reversed would not live very long and some even had to have their polarity reversed to get a run on the same saw and could tell the timing was not correct when cranking.

Pioneerguy600 mentioned the Homie mini EZ. I've never seen one of those in the USA, think they were more common in Canada, probably.

I'm also thinking that I will try taking a drill and spinning th existing flywheel backwards in opposite direction just to see if it will get a reverse polarity rotor spark. (would maybe give me a hint that a MODULE type mag needs reverse polarity to fire before actually installing a different polarity flywheel)
I just used the Nova II. It does have a small + and - cast into the module. On my Super 1050 I think it makes it a little harder to crank, but at 65, any 100CC saw with no decomp is hard to crank. The shop where I get my chips said they think the chips do advance the timing a little, making them harder to sstart. i didn't notice any performance difference.

I have got to add, I’m not a saw mechanic, and will always bow out to a good mechanic. My Dads mantra was, tree crews get paid to work on trees, mechanics get paid to work on saws. Don’t waste the company’s time and money trying to do the other guys job. I raced cars for years and can make almost any thing run. Can’t always make them run well. I’m just learning my way around two strokes.

I have never chipped a saw but have chipped old outboard motors LawnBoy mowers and magneto equipped Kohler engines.In my opinion the Atom modules were the best I never had a failure.I had one bad Nova no good out of the pack the other 6 or so I have used work well.I have a 1929 Kohler 4 cylinder generator that the points are NLA I have been filing them for twenty years not much meat left.It uses an American Bosch magneto I tried to chip it but only got spark on 2 cylinders due to the change in polarity of the magnets I was going to double chip and reverse the grounding of the modules but at the time I did not have a spare module gotta laugh that was probably 15 years ago another incomplete project.
They will not work with fly wheels with charging magnets in the flywheel so I could not do any old snow machines or my Honda 4 stroke moped.
I feel it is very important to keep them as cool as possible.
Kash
I have never noticed any timing changes.

KASH:
I'm not familiar with the ATOM chips. I'll re-search such. NOVA II chips have not been good experience for me for reliability right when you need them.
I've never used any of their stuff but Petronix makes electronic ign systems for old and later stuff and they have a web site and I've heard of guys converting their old tractors and vec's using their products.

undee70ss:

Thanks for the link. I have several of your Service info downloaded and filed and saved on CD disk.

KASH:
I'm not familiar with the ATOM chips. I'll re-search such. NOVA II chips have not been good experience for me for reliability right when you need them.
I've never used any of their stuff but Petronix makes electronic ign systems for old and later stuff and they have a web site and I've heard of guys converting their old tractors and vec's using their products.

undee70ss:

Thanks for the link. I have several of your Service info downloaded and filed and saved on CD disk.

Here is some Pic's of the existing PRESTOLITE module that is in the Homie EZ and no fire. The secondary checks at 5.7K ohms and the primary as low ohms.
Tried different polarity flywheels and reverse spinning the flywheels fast with a drill and still no spark. (electronic section in the module apparently bad)
I've seen electronic Modules Magnetos on Briggs engines check ok on a Ohmmeter but not fire properly on a engine is why I suspect the electronics in this one as bad.
Anyone know of a electronic breakerless module from another piece of equipment that might fit these core laminations?
This UT10537 does not have a point lobe on the crank nor any provision for mounting points condenser.

Prestolite is the name on the bottom of the Module in pic 3.
I removed the spark plug wire from one pic so as to see the proper layout of the plug wire.
I never did find a Prestolite Module listed for a EZ nor any pic's of this one. I just seen pics the Blue Modules.
Wonder if someone fabricated this one????

Attachments

• DSC00985.JPG
    DSC00985.JPG
    588.7 KB · Views: 6
  • DSC00986.JPG
    DSC00986.JPG
    559.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00987.JPG
    DSC00987.JPG
    465.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00988.JPG
    DSC00988.JPG
    568.5 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC00991.JPG
    DSC00991.JPG
    464.1 KB · Views: 4
Here is some Pic's of the existing PRESTOLITE module that is in the Homie EZ and no fire. The secondary checks at 5.7K ohms and the primary as low ohms.
Tried different polarity flywheels and reverse spinning the flywheels fast with a drill and still no spark. (electronic section in the module apparently bad)
I've seen electronic Modules Magnetos on Briggs engines check ok on a Ohmmeter but not fire properly on a engine is why I suspect the electronics in this one as bad.
Anyone know of a electronic breakerless module from another piece of equipment that might fit these core laminations?
This UT10537 does not have a point lobe on the crank nor any provision for mounting points condenser.

I removed the spark plug wire from one pic so as to see the proper layout of the plug wire.
I never did find a Prestolite Module listed for a EZ nor any pic's of this one. I just seen pics the Blue Modules.

That coil winding should slide off the lamination, just bend the retainer clip up straight and try wiggling it off.

There is a patent number on the coil. If you look this up it may provide some more info about how the system is supposed to work.

That coil winding should slide off the lamination, just bend the retainer clip up straight and try wiggling it off.
Ok, just don't have another to install on the laminations.
I'll get back in a few days after I've tried the Points Magneto.
Shop is not heated and snow on the ground and more cold coming/ice and rain.

SteveSR:
No other numbers or ID imbedded on the coil. Appears at one time maybe have been some painted red letters that have gone away on the outer flat part which would be visible when mounted in the saw..
The bottom of the module was covered in oily sawdust like it had been used in a running chainsaw at one time. I had to gently brush off the oily sawdust to see the prestolite name branded/imbedded on the bottom of the plastic module.

There is always the possibility that the module on there now was a replacement unit made after the saws were out there more than ten years, think of those parts as AM units still made right here in NA. in most cases as the offshore replacement parts had yet to be the norm.

There is a patent number on the coil. If you look this up it may provide some more info about how the system is supposed to work.

I got out my very powerful magnifier and was able to eventually pull up a chewed up barely visible pat no on this PRESTOLITE breakerless module..
US PAT. NO 34 05 347
I seen during a google search using US PAT NO 3405347 ignition a reference was made to Phelon at this link.
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/4288834.html
BREAKERLESS MAGNETO IGNITION, R. E. PHELON COMPANY, INC Sept 8, 1981

and some info at this link
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3405347A/en
Anyone have any ideas how to cross this pat no to a Phelon magneto module coil or any useable info. ????? Appears maybe this was a Blue Coil of Death breakerless replacement or equal type module?????

I got out my very powerful magnifier and was able to eventually pull up a chewed up barely visible pat no on this PRESTOLITE breakerless module..
US PAT. NO 34 05 347
I seen during a google search using US PAT NO 3405347 ignition a reference was made to Phelon at this link.
https://www.freepatentsonline.com/4288834.html
BREAKERLESS MAGNETO IGNITION, R. E. PHELON COMPANY, INC Sept 8, 1981

and some info at this link
https://patents.google.com/patent/US3405347A/en
Anyone have any ideas how to cross this pat no to a Phelon magneto module coil or any useable info. ????? Appears maybe this was a Blue Coil of Death breakerless replacement or equal type module?????
Do some research on Prestolite & Phelon. One may have merged/bought out the other at some point in time. The color of the module is almost irrelevant for identification. Any color plastic pellets can be poured into the molding machine.

Patents are also required to list prior art patents. So this patent may have prior art listed or this patent can be listed as prior art in some other parent. You can also use the government website at https://www.uspto.gov/ There may be better search options here.

Latest posts

Back