Homelite Super EZ Piston

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pereynol

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding an old Super EZ Auto. So far, so good. Carb rebuild, seals, rings, etc. Piston is in great shape, but the piston pin itself is worn where the needle bearing rides.

Looks like they only sell the pin and piston as an assembly for $57 I may have to break down and buy it, but does anyone know if this saw shares the same pin with other old Homelites? XL, Super XL, etc..

Thanks for any info.

Peter

Stihl 056
Husky 55 Rancher
Mac Titan 57
Homelite Super EZ

Knowing Homelite, I'd imagine it probably does share the same piston with a few other models, but I'm certain the two you mentioned would be different (different bore sizes).

Somewhere it seems like I read pistons and pins were machined to one another so had to be changed as a set. I don't remember where I read that, though, and thus can't speculate about the accuracy of it. Maybe only applies to certain saws, though. I'm sure those who are more expert than I will chime in here.

If a used pin will work, I might have a decent pin laying around in my spare parts box. Mine shelled a main bearing a while back which killed the cylinder and piston. I don't remember what shape the pin was in, but I'd imagine I kept it.

Hello,

I'm in the process of rebuilding an old Super EZ Auto. So far, so good. Carb rebuild, seals, rings, etc. Piston is in great shape, but the piston pin itself is worn where the needle bearing rides.

Looks like they only sell the pin and piston as an assembly for $57 I may have to break down and buy it, but does anyone know if this saw shares the same pin with other old Homelites? XL, Super XL, etc..

Thanks for any info.

Peter

Stihl 056
Husky 55 Rancher
Mac Titan 57
Homelite Super EZ

you are correct on the assembly they dont have just the pin available it has a arrow pointing to the piston and the pin as one complete unit

now this may surprise you but its not $ 57.00 for the piston its actually on clearance right now for $39.99

here is the url
http://www.cmsmallengines.net/homelite-piston-pin-a-68487-for-super-ez-saws.html

thanks
calvin

Thank you for all of the helpful tips.

I may just end up buying the assembly, (thanks for the heads up on the sale) as it comes with fresh rings.

Habanero, let me know if you do find the pin, and it's condition. I may buy it from you if it's in good shape.

The rod itslef is in fine shape, but I will also replace the needle bearing to ensure a tight fitting piston.

The old jug and piston are in great shape for the age and usage of this old saw. My grandpa felled many trees with this old thing, and I intend to do the same.

Thanks again, everyone. What a great forum!

Heck, I'll give it to you if I can find it. But, I think if it were me I'd throw a new piston in it while you're at it.

Thank you for all of the helpful tips.

I may just end up buying the assembly, (thanks for the heads up on the sale) as it comes with fresh rings.

Habanero, let me know if you do find the pin, and it's condition. I may buy it from you if it's in good shape.

The rod itslef is in fine shape, but I will also replace the needle bearing to ensure a tight fitting piston.

The old jug and piston are in great shape for the age and usage of this old saw. My grandpa felled many trees with this old thing, and I intend to do the same.

Thanks again, everyone. What a great forum!

heres your needle bearing

http://www.cmsmallengines.net/needle-bearing.html

I dont think you will have very good luck trying to replace just the pin.

From what I understand, the pins are individually fitted to the pistons.

I tried to do just this on an old EZ (same basic saw) & it would not work (pin was loose in the piston)

I had a scored piston & I had a NOS piston with no pin. I figured I would just re use the old pin & it was too loose of a fit.

Like Brad said, if the pin is damaged, the small end rod bearing is likely damaged as well.

I work on a lot of old homelites & have never seen a damaged pin.

Do you have any pics ??

Back