Homelite XL-12 wont run.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traingent

Reaction score
Why does my Homelite XL-12 fail to pick up fuel? Fuel line is ok & clear. Reed valve is good. Carb has been disassembled cleaned and blown out. Both rubber diaphragms top & bottom appear to be intact. Saw will run then stop when the carb is primed.
Terry

I always like to clean carb,new kit,line and filter. If it has fire and compression they will run most times.Tank vent clear,needle height correct...David XL 12 good saws--keep us posted . High and low speed mixture screws out from seat about 1 turn out. Intake gasket torn or turned where hole for impulse is covered--been a while since I had 1 off.

A few things to consider, restriction in the fuel line like a clogged filter? Did you clean the screen in the input to the carb inlet valve? Is the choke closing completely? Gaskets and diaphragm in the carb assembled in the right order? Inlet valve sticking closed? Inlet valve control lever set too low? A good test for a carb after before installing it, is to pressure test the inlet fuel port and if it hold 8psi like it should, bring a running shop vac nozzle up the the throat of the carb and the vacuum should pull the main diaphragm down and open the inlet valve, causing the pressure to drop. Just because diaphragms are intact doesn't mean they are working, alcohol in the fuel and age will stiffen them and make them nonfunctional, first step in carb issues is a COMPLETE cleaning and replacing both diaphragms and gaskets with a repair kit. Your most likely problem is just stiff diaphragms.

I like to get Oem from a guy named gary* on ebay with a green background--he includes the extra gasket at intake.. I think RK-23HS is the kit--see chainsaw collectors corner. David --I only use non ethanol fuel in my 2 strokes...SUNP0710.JPG

If you install a kit and the carb still don't go, get back too us the the carb number..
Some of them Homiies carb's have a check valve buried inside in them and kit won't make it go if the check valve is bad and it's replaceable with care.
Sometimes easier to go to flea bay and just get another carb and remove your new kit from the carb and install in the replacement carb.
I keep a good spare test carb ready for them Homies when I'm flogging them.
Every once in awhile I get a surprise and find out it's not the carb that's causing the problem you describe.

Which fuel pickup? Felt wick or actual rubber line into the tank?

My XL-12 with the felt wick is on the disabled list right now. Carb was all full of little pieces of wick and when I cleaned and put in a carb kit it will barely run at all now. Need to try a different carb myself.

Which fuel pickup? Felt wick or actual rubber line into the tank?

My XL-12 with the felt wick is on the disabled list right now. Carb was all full of little pieces of wick and when I cleaned and put in a carb kit it will barely run at all now. Need to try a different carb myself.

You really need to get rid of that old felt wick, they are rotten by now. Pioneer had them also in the 1100 series saws, caused me plenty of headaches when they started coming undone.

Latest posts

Back