Homelite XL-2 Automatic

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jake101

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am needing the chain specifications for an old Homelite XL-2 Automatic, 12 inch. The saw that I have is missing the chain and I need to know what I need to get. The saw starts and runs but needs the chain, of course, to cut. :)

Thanks!

Do you know what the factory default would have been?

48 vs. 72 DL's is a big difference.
The links on a 3/8" chain are 1.5 times the length of the links on a 1/4" chain. 48x1.5 gives you 72. Just like the sprocket- 6 teeth on the 3/8 sprocket x 1.5= 9 teeth on the 1/4" sprocket.
It looks like a big difference, but the math works out.

Thanks for all of the input, guys.

I finally got to the saw and read the codes stamped on the bar.

This particular XL-2 Automatic uses a 1/4" pitch chain with 69 drive links, .050. Apparently not a particularly common chain.

Thanks, again!

Thanks for all of the input, guys.

I finally got to the saw and read the codes stamped on the bar.

This particular XL-2 Automatic uses a 1/4" pitch chain with 69 drive links, .050. Apparently not a particularly common chain.

Thanks, again!
Some of the small Poulan saws used the quarter inch pitch. Like you said, not too common on the small Homelite XL saws.

It should be pretty easy to change it over to 3/8" LP, I am almost certain Oregon still makes bars for it. Although you could probably have a chain made up to fit it, even if you can't find one. Ebay has one listing for an Archer chain for it, but I don't know what kind of quality they are.

Back